CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile
my heart is touched by the sweet e-mails i am receiving asking about my dear dad. i had posted that a few months ago, my dad, who has lived 91 years on this 'ole earth .. entered Hospice Care. Hospice does not give a 'date' they expect someone to survive .. but hospice and the doctors and nurses surely gave us the impression that it was fairly imminent with my dad. I rushed 'home' to say my goodbyes .. to hold him and tell him how very much i loved him.

Early December, HOspice said that they did doubt he would survive to have a final Christmas. WELL .. on Christmas day, my sweet sister, Shasha, bundled him up .. got him and his wheel chair into her car and drove 2 hours to take him to the family Christmas celebration at his 86 year old sister's home (my Auntie Em) .. who is one of the two precious aunts who raised my brother, sister and me. She lives in a two-flights-up town-house .. so a niece and nephew .. just picked up that wheel chair with daddy as a passenger and toted him up that skinny, windy stairway! I hear that he 'ate like a big dog' .. and was very awake and aware for most of the party. As always, he reveled in opening Christmas gifts .. and i LOVE that Auntie Em gave him a CLOCK! HA! Hank and i said we should have given him a Calendar .. or a two year subscription to his favorite magazine!

Oh Lordy! I have so many wonderful stories to tell of my dad's very different life. ... And will from time to time. I will tell you now that he is a profile in courage and strength, perseverance and humor and most of all ... of love.

(When i was a very small child, my dad was diagnosed with schizophrenia .. and lived his life with this disease). Ahhhhhhh .. but he was 'crazy like a fox'. An entire and very interesting book could be written of his adventures .. if we knew them all!

Last Sunday night, a huge DEER broke through a large plate-glass window at his nursing home .. and ran all the way to the very back of the nursing home to my dad's room!

One of our farmgirls, Sue, wrote to me that i often refer to him as 'my DEAR Dad' .. and she believes that this DEER is a 'sign' .. perhaps an angel come to guide my daddy to other pastures. Isn't that a most beautiful thought.

Monday morning at 4:00 a.m. .. my sister received a phone call from the Nursing Home to say that daddy's temperature had risen to 103.

He has once again stabilized .. but is very frail and thin .. and only the 'deer' knows his date of departure.

Although his body is frail and thin .. i still see an endless depth of stories in his eyes.

My DEER DADDY

True Friends, Frannie

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  10:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
In May of 03, I had a bad feeling about how my grandpa was doing so I took the soonest flight I could to Illinois to see him. Hospice and my grandma had him in a bed in the TV room, which had a window near a sugar maple tree. In that tree was a robin's nest with three blue eggs in it. Someone in my family said that robins often build nests near the window of someone close to be departed.

Grandma said Grandpa had been happy to see those birds outside his window, he had enjoyed watching them before he broke his hip. That same window is the one he often sat at, kneeling on the couch like a little kid, watching the snow fall. Grandpa loved snow.

After his passing just an hour and a half after I got to my grandparents house, we had to go to the funeral home to make arrangements. As I sat there waiting, I looked out the window, and there in the boxwoods was another robin's nest, with some bright blue eggs.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  12:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Well, Frannie, now I know where you get your youngish looks from....what a handsome man for his age. He doesn't look 91 at all...My Mom who is 70 this year looks much older!

Does he like getting mail/cards? If he does I would love to send him one, might cheer him up to know us other kindred spirits are thinking of him.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Frannie, for sharing your Dear/Deer Daddy with us. Is that a Santa hat in the background? And, Lynn, thank you too for that special memory. Sweet, precious stories.

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile
thanks for all your sweet words and stories ... diane that is so sweet of you .. i'll post his address if any of you sweet friends wish to remember him with a card .. wouldn't that be wonderful ... for lots of cards to arrive in these last days .. just letting him know there are loving people thinking of him. will post his address tomorrow ...

and OH MY! is that a SANTA HAT!!!

I adore how our family bought him lots of gifts .. including .. new clothes!!! (my favorite is still the clock!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  08:57:43 AM  Show Profile
my dad's address is:

Robert H. Stevens
Beverly Health Care
3900 Plank Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22407

it would be so wonderful if he received lots of cards/letters just letting him know he is being thought of and prayed for. thanks farmgirlfriends! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  12:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, your sweet daddy looks SO good! I"m glad you posted his addy, I too want to get a card off to him, so he knows just how special he is, and you too sweet pal!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  2:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, How is your "dear Daddy" doing?

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  2:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Funny, I was just thinking about DEER DADDY today too! Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  2:50:35 PM  Show Profile
sweet friends .. my sister says he continues to lose weight and sleep 90 percent of the time. she does not believe the end is far. when she visits, she reads his cards to him even if he is sleeping .. and she has taped them to the wall all around his bed .. what a lovely way to leave this world .. surrounded by family and friends and thoughts of those whom he's never even met. thanks for sending cards and notes girlfriends. my sister is some day going to bundle them all up and send them to me to make a scrapbook with. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My DEER Daddy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page