Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Honeycomb quilts? Here's mine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Honeycomb quilts? Here's mine Next Topic  

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Just in time for the feb/Mar issue of MaryJanes Farm magazine!

I found this Grandmother's Garden quilt at a yard sale. It's got some very worn areas, more of a cutter quilt or else needs to be repaired, but I just have it on my wall behind my bed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33523063@N06/3243432766/

Well, I read the how-to-post-photos FAQ but there's no image code available on Flickr as far as I can tell, so I guess you'll have to go there to see it....sorry.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  9:52:40 PM  Show Profile
It looks to be in pretty good shape. I restore vintage quilts and did a grandmother's flower garden restoration many years ago. I found the quilt at my mothers house and her favorite dog was sleeping on it. She had washed the quilt without realizing that the batting was WOOL. Of course the whole thing shrunk right up. I asked her if I could have it and it took me two weeks to rip all of the quilt stitches out! I pressed the top, replaced the batting with some nice soft cotton, put on a back, re-Quilted, re-did the outside border and Voila....My mother-in-law came by every so often asking if I had planned to sell the quilt, which was in gorgeous condition, and I kept saying no....until I finally gave in one Christmas and presented it to her. When my mom found out WOW!! Sparks flew.....

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  04:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Allison, your quilt is just beautiful! I had gone to an estate sale once and picked up an old, never used queen-sized quilt for $17.50. What a steal! As for you Melody...your story is just too funny. I hope things are ok with your mother. Did she finally calm down?

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient." --Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  06:07:36 AM  Show Profile
What a good find Allison!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  06:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
nice quilt...what is on the back? I didn't understand how to do the back when I read the new MJ magazine. I'd like to make something that didn't need quilted but the folded sections in the back would be the thickness. hhhmmmmmm can't figure it out. Looks easy enough, though.
Can you take a pic of the back?

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

Eventually, mother calmed down. I have to admit it looked very nice once it was completed and my sweet mother-in-law just loved getting it for Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  11:50:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a wonderful 1/2 finished grandmother's flower garden quilt made from old 1930s feedsacks. A dear friend bought it for me in "pieces". I hope to finish it before I am 94! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  04:27:16 AM  Show Profile
I love the look of the honeycomb quilt. I am going to try my hand at it, only tiny. If you print off the template at the original size, it will yield honeycombs about the size of a quarter. Now, how cute would that be?

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I read a long (typed in blue) post from MaryJane (Queen Bee) about backing a quilt and the frames, etc. I thought it was here....where did it go?
Anyone else see it?

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
Here 'tis! It's in another thread over in Stitching Room:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28478

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Karin - love your idea of a miniature one! You are always so clever!

MaryJane - it is so nice to see your posts cropping up everywhere! Love to you and yours.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thanks MaryJane...

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Honeycomb quilts? Here's mine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page