Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Natural Migraine Tips Please!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural Migraine Tips Please!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping someone out there will be able to recommend a natural migraine tip. Mine are totally hormonal and since I have been nursing for two years I did not have periods or migraines- I am having my first period now and MAMA'S IT IS THE WORST!!! I have had two debilitating migraines in four days- throwing up, visual problems, the works. I used to get these two or three a week for about 7 years and they stopped just before I concieved my daughter- now they are back and I am so sad. I used to take imitrex but in studies it builds up on lab animals eyes- plus we are trying to concieve again and I don't want the drugs in my body. So, i any of you have tips please let me know- there must be a way to calm these down a bit without nasty drugs.
Loving Thanks, Rebekka

(I have tried dietary changes, osteopathy, homeopathy, massage, essential oils, hydration, neurologist visits, etc.)

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile
I suffer from migraines also and I cannot find an exact reason why.My Dr. suggested a food journal to see if I find a patterned.Also he suggested accupucture.If I start to get one I put ice on my head and lie in quiet dark area it seems to help them go away faster but that might be hard for you with a little one.I am simpathetic.Good luck,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  4:58:51 PM  Show Profile
From my Husbands Migraines we started with using a food journal to check to see if there were any food allergies. We were able to rule that out, but the one thing the journal did for us was show us the pre symptoms (I'm sure there's a better word for it) so we could catch it before it happens. So now he must tell me when he feels like he may be getting one and we start by first making sure he;s hydrated and by drinking some good strong caffinated coffee and than a good deep neck message. This has helped us avoid those long painful nights. I swear he hasn't had a real one in a long while. Hope this helps, have to get home now.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  6:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Does it feel like somebody hit you in the back of the head with a baseball bat, Rebekka? I used to get them on day 3 and 4. I called them stupid headaches, as when I'd get one I'd barely remember my own name! They're awful and sorry to say, I never did find a way to avert them, but I did find coffee and tea with caffiene would make them worse. Best I could hope for was to dull the pain with Aleve. Even prescription Toridol would only dull them and anything narcotic took days to wear off..don't know how some folks take that stuff all the time, knocks me on my behind!
It apparently has something to do with rising estrogen levels after your period and a dilation in blood vessels. You'd have to research it to find a more accurate description.
I wish I could offer more help...you certainly have my sympathy.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Your totaly right about the dilated blood vessels. This is why I recommended the coffee because I had read once that caffine can aleviate this. We were desperate, so I tryed it and so far it has worked. We also use white willow tea for when the headache starts to try and stop it before it get too big.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Lavender oil on the temples gives some relief. Also try a warm cloth or rice bag with lavender oil rubbed at the base of the neck at the onset may help. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  11:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your advice- Lavendar oil is helpful but I think that I am going to try accupuncture next. The white willow tea sounds nice- can you get this at any co-op? Hugs,Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  05:01:39 AM  Show Profile
My chiropractor keeps me and my daughter migraine free. I haven't had one in two or three years. Hers have decreased from two or three a week at peak to two or three a year.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:10:05 AM  Show Profile
FEVERFEW!!!!

Look it up, and try it in a daily tea brew or, liquid tincture. I gave up going to the chiropractor and tried a massage therapist...have been going once a month for almost 2 years now. Also, try tracking weather patterns. Any time a big front passes through and you see those huge flat bottomed clouds....guaranteed I'm going to get a migraine! Mine are also aggravated if I lift something really heavy and have sore muscles two days later on the right side of my back and neck. It used to not be like this, but I'm not a spring chicken anymore either!

Warm eye aroma therapy compresses with lavender and flax didn't help at all with the pain, but was soothing, especially late at night. I also invested in one of those spa blankies. It's 2 feet long and about 12" wide. You can heat it in the microwave and wrap it around your whole head or shoulders. These days I also sleep with Lucky the Lavender Dog. He is also filled with flax and lavender and you can heat him too. I start out with one of his heavy paws on my eye and his body draped across my forehead. Sounds strange, but is a nightly comfort. The weight for some reason is also soothing. You can find either of these products by doing a google search under lavender products. If money isn't a big issue, try Sonoma Lavender and Isabella. They both sell the spa blankies.

Mine migraines usually start out as a twinge on the side of my head or just above my eye. I take Maxalt at the first sign...and typically if I don't try and ride it out or play tough guy, one tablet usually takes care of it. I have been incapicitated for up to 3 days, but never the aura and crappy sick sick feeling. I feel really badly for those of you who get these kinds!

We may get serious about having kids next year. I went from 3-4 a month to only just 3 all last year. So if I can kick the drug thing too, so much the better.

Best of luck
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  11:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes, you can get white willow at your coop if they have a herb section. It's a pretty common herb. For Feverfew I'd recommend a tincture only because the tea didn't ever seem to work for us. But than again everyone is different.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  3:49:18 PM  Show Profile
I will try some of these things this week and hope for the best! Thanks for your concern and advice- it is such a strange but common ailment and I want to be well so I will study the weather, drink my teas and have some touch therapy. Love and Light to all of you!
Be Well,Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  6:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Look into the herb called Feverfew. I forget the exact statistics but it's something like it worked in 80% of people tested on. It takes a while for it to work, something like 2 weeks to build up. Do a search on it. It has worked for my stepson!

Rose in NY

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile
OK- I am going to get feverfew tomorrow- I have had 7 migraines this month!!!! I called the accupuncturist, the massage therapist, the physical therapist and I am heading to the Co-op for herbs. This is the pits- I tried sniffing Rosemary oil the other night and it works well to keep the migraine from worsening.
Thanks and Be Well, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  10:52:54 PM  Show Profile
My mother and I both have migraines; I have been able to slow mine down. I looked up what kinds of foods that causes them and I don't eat them anymore and I stopped using certain cleaning products and I think the new house we moved into also caused them. You might want to keep not just a food journal but also a log of what you did that day. I find that if I watch TV or on the computer too long that they cause them. The best thing I do is have me neck rubbed. I get a lot of tension there and knots that are the main cause for my migraines. Heat in those areas help too. Or I even get professional massages and have them focus on my neck and head. I do hope you will find something that works for you. Also, I have a deviated septum, they can cause them too. My mom had to have surgery on hers.

By the time we've made it...we've had it.
Go to Top of Page

dkgold
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

diane
Ukiah ca
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi all.. these are all great tips! I suffer from occasional 'sick headaches' and it sure sounds like they are migraines. I use the hot neck wraps too & the cold clothes on the forehead; hot steamy showers seem to help. I think I suffer from sinus headaches at the same time. I will sure use the feverfew and white willow that's been recommended. I love this Farmgirl site!

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." ...Emma Goldman
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I have been using a new homeopathic product from the local RiteAid called HeadOn. It's like a giant chapstick that you rub on your forehead - seems to bring relief after 2 rubs.
Chiropractic has helped us too.
When all else fails, we go to bed with an icepack.

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  6:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Coincidentally I just read an article earlier tonight that suggested rosemary tea for migraines - I've never tried it myself.

I get them too, and found that avoiding them is easier than curing them once they start. For me that means avoiding 'smoked' or aged products like Swiss cheese and some meats like hot dogs, bologna or salamis, and certain types of wine. I don't remember what the chemical is that is common to these foods but it is almost certain that if I partake of more than just a little of them I will have a migraine the next day.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  07:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Since being diagnosed with migraines 4 years ago, I have also avoided those certain trigger foods. Happily, chocolate sits fine, and I don't have much of a taste for the darker type. The darker the chocolate, the higher the coco content, and the higher incidence for headaches will occur. Too bad it's the dark that has the better health benefit.

For processed meats, it's the sodium nitrates/nitrites. Nitrates are in wines too and are used as preservatives I think. You can buy "organic" wines that are nitrate-free. Prices vary from 12-20 or so dollars but the wines have to be consumed at a faster rate since they will turn quicker.

Some days I would kill for a hotdog stuffed full of chili and onions, but the pain afterward just isn't worth it.

I have enjoyed the nitrite-free hotdogs from Whole Foods, but can't justify paying 5 dollars for just 6 hotdogs at the rate they would be consumed.

One other tidbit, used to think cold would make my pain better, when actually heat is more soothing.

We sufferers can either get headaches caused by the nerve 1.constricting, or 2. contracting depending on the type, that's what drug or natural rememdy will aid. And I forget what type feverfew helps.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile
OOOH, I didn't know about the chocolate....

But I'm not going to give it up! Dark chocolate is my absolute favorite, and I keep a bag of Dove squares in my purse for emergencies!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile
I use a supplement called "Migrelief" that I found at my local healath food store...it's a "combo" supplement with feverfew, B vitamins, and something else I can't quite recall at the moment. I take one every morning along with my other supplement. I'm also working with a homeopath (who is just wonderful) and a chiropractor. Unfortunately, I get the classic aura migraine, followed by hours of unbelievable pain and nausea/vomiting. Lovely. And I've found that my real trigger is stress, so I really try to keep things in perspective and exercise (yoga), and keep calm as much as is humanly possible. I find that Bach's Rescue Remedy works well to that end. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  8:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I came across this article today about Mastering Migraines --Ten Holistic Remedies, and thought some of you may appreciate the advice that is offered. Some are new to me, easy to try and worth having a look at.
http://wholelifetimes.com/2006/04/wh_migraines0604.html

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on Apr 04 2006 9:02:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Just recently in the Raleigh News and Observer (Satruday, April 8, 2006) a study is being conducted that links some migraine sufferers to a small hole in the heart that is supposed to close sometime I think proir to birth....so it's congenital.

For you sufferers who get the aura, you might want to pursue this if it's of interest. The hole is of no other consequence I don't think....

I have finally gotten a grip on mine. Nine times out of 10 they stem from overexertion/exercise and tweaking of my neck and shoulder mucsles. I fell 7 years ago and landed on my face/neck. The pain frm this was enough to prompt a trip to the chiropractor a day later. Two years ago I stopped going here and started up with massage therapy. That's the best!

So this, coupled with popping a light muscle rlaxant after strenuous workouts really has helped! The other percentages come from a drop in barometric pressure. Those kill the worst, and I WILL pop something prescribed then. I sleep with lavender smellys around my head ,and somteimes dab an herbal salve with lavender under my nose before going to bed.
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  12:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I used to work with a teacher who would get migraines quite often. One thing she did to relieve the headache was to have someone firmly massage the base of her thumb on the palm of her hand. There's a pressure point there, and when you hit it while rubbing it rather hard, it will HURT!!! But it really does relieve the headache!!! I don't know why I forgot all about this, but I've been having migraines off and on and keep forgetting to do it. It really does work. You can do it to yourself, but it better to have someone else do it so you can relax while it's being done. Believe me, it does hurt where the "spot" is, but try it!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  1:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka,

Feverfew was already mentioned--my mother has used feverfew for years and swears by it. She gets it at the health food store in caplet form.

I know that you said that they are hormonal, but have you been to an allergy clinic? Living in Oklahoma we know all about allergies here. When people start going to the allergy clinic and get the weekly shots, they get rid of their migraines. I get them if I am around perfume, or strong odors. Do you wear perfume? Try not wearing it at all. My sinus/allergy problems directly relate to my hormones. I think hormones bring them on.

Other possibilities--vision problems, internal female issues (my sister gets migraines due to her fibroid tumor in her uterus), TMJ (jaw problem--this causes my sil's migraines as well as her allergies-both she, my fil & my husband have allergy migraines. She has been treating her allergies at the clinic and has gotten some relief. But, her terrible TMJ has to be remedied by a mouth guard worn at night and she might need surgery).

When I weaned my first child I got a titanic of a period too, cramps that hurt so bad!
I have had the throwing up/cramping period only a few times when I was a teenager--I am sorry that you are suffering. And once I was at a waterpark the day before I was supposed to start and I almost passed out from a painful sudden headache! It was awful!. It didn't last very long, thank heavens!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile
I get the hormonal kind of migraine, too. I'm lucky to only get a mild version, lasting about 8 hours on one day only. Usually it goes from about 4-midnight on the day before my period starts. Occasionally, if I don't get it before my period, I get it the day after. I was told that estrogen contracts the blood vessels, so they start to expand when the estrogen level drops and then contract again afterwards. The change causes the headache and other effects. Caffeine also contracts the blood vessels, so that's why coffee and tea help for some people.

I can ward off the headache with caffeine and Tylenol if I catch it early. It doesn't work if I take any other type of pain medication, and it doesn't work if I only take the medication or only drink the caffeine. It has to be both.

I tried white willow bark, but it didn't work for this, although it did work for other kinds of headache (just like aspirin). I'll give the feverfew a try - I've got lots of it my yard.

I think all these treatments work for some people, but none of them work for everybody. Hope one of these tips will do it for you, because this migraine is the pits! As if getting your period wasn't bad enough!

Go to Top of Page

Paradise Creek Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Shellie
Oregon
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I get the hormonal migraines as well. I never had them until I got pregnant with my first child. I had migraines the first trimester and then they went away, They came back in the first trimester of my second child, and again with my third. My third is now 7 months old and I just started my period for the first time, three days after my period ended what do you know....migraine. This just ended after lasting 8 days straight!!! I learned a lot after this one. Peppermint oil mixed with olive oil or vitamin E oil and rub it on your temples. works well for deadening the pain..but it won't take it away. Also, sniff the peppermint oil and will help with nausia. Chammomile tea whith the peppermint oil treatment is very soothing, with a cool cloth on your head. But the only way that you can truly get these migraines to go away is to do these things and lay down in a dark quiet room and sleep. A good solid sleep will usually take it away. Luckily I have a very understanding husband who takes care of the children while I am going through these. Now that I know it is completely hormonal I plan ahead. If I am on my period I stay away from loud noisy areas, bright light and certain trigger foods...especially caffeine. When the migraines get that bad coffee or any caffeine will not take it away but compound the migraine and it will get worse. Best thing I can tell you is to plan for them and try to put yourself in a calm and relaxing atmosphere...massages work great to. Hope this helps..Shellie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural Migraine Tips Please!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page