kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  12:46:07 PM  Show Profile
I have been in the kitchen most of the day. It's kind of fun having the hubby around to cook for. I know in a month I'll be sick of cooking, but now I'm enjoying it. And going through a lot of my canned and frozen stuff. I'll have to grow lots more now.

I made ham and cheese omelets this morning. Then put a pork shoulder in a cast iron dutch oven with apple cider, onions, garlic and salt and pepper. I already tasted it and it is GOOD! We'll have that for dinner with fried okra,turnip greens and carrots (all from the garden and our pig, too!).

I bought 4 little ramekins from the $ store and am making my apple crisp in them now. The kitchen smells so good.

Then I had leftover spaghetti sauce and I am making soup with that for tomorrow. I'll put some in the freezer for DD and a friend who is coming back home from her daughter's next week and probably take some to my friend who just had surgery, too.

Also I had 2 packs of lamb liver from a lamb we had butchered a few years ago. So I made dog treats with it! I looked in the MJF mag for a recipe but couldn't find one. So just winged it. I put it in the food processor with 2 eggs, garlic salt, 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 plain flour and some water. Mixed it up, lined a big cookie sheet with waxed paper, spread it out and baked it about 25 minutes on 300. Let them cool, cut up in about 2" squares and the dogs love them. So I think I will be making doggie treats from now on. It's much cheaper that the ones I've been buying.

So I am having a good time in the kitchen with an apron on, too. What are ya'll up to today?

Happy cooking, Kris

My "mother" is on the stove real warm now. I hope she's ok. She's bubblin' away!

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  1:06:03 PM  Show Profile
oh you have been a very busy girl. what time is dinner? all I have been doing today is taking out a row of quilting from my long arm machine. when I noticed it was 3 rows later. the thread was all loopy in the back. boy that stinks!!! I would much rather been doing what you have been doing. I was realy impresed with the dog treats I will have to try them. Happy Cooking. by the way Watkinsville is near Athens.GO DAWGS!!

Tina
Farm Girl #455
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  1:59:31 PM  Show Profile

I'm coming to your house for dinner tonight!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:27:49 PM  Show Profile
I can be there at 6pm.....actually I think you may have to watch the white flour for dogs, I think I read that here somewhere that whole wheat is better for them. Someone from here gave me a recipe for what I call scooby snacks, look under the pet area.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, there was not much left. That pork shoulder was so good. Ya'll have to try that with the apple cider. Someone on another forum said they use apple wine to make a sauce for porkchops. So I just thought I'd try it with the cider. It was very good and tender and quite juicy. But come on over anytime, ya'll! I'm usually home.

I'll have to check out the white flour issue for dogs. I did use half whole wheat, though. I wonder if they should go in the fridge since there is the liver in them. But it was cooked. Oh well, they won't last long.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A busy day in the kitchen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page