Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Sometimes enough is just too much
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Sometimes enough is just too much Next Topic  

pioneergirl23
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Leila
Woodburn Oregon
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  12:40:46 AM  Show Profile
**Deleted by Poster**

Edited by - pioneergirl23 on Oct 10 2009 2:19:21 PM

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:58:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm keeping your friends on my prayer list and you too. We all need prayer everyday. Sending well wishes your way
God will carry us!
Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  07:07:19 AM  Show Profile
I'll be praying for your family and friends. May God bring them peace, understanding, and healing, and may He give those who are caring for the ones who are ill wisdom, so that they may be able to effectively bring about physical healing.

I'll also be praying for you, that you may have peace also.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  07:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Leila! That must be very difficult for you and your family and friends! Perhaps if you ask your MIL there might be some things that you could help with that would help (even grocery shopping for the daughter or something?)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile
Leila, I am keeping you so so close! Candles are lit and good peaceful blessings are headed your way. It is so natural to be filled with fear. To face head on one's mortality is not something we are taught to do very well. I think one of the most effective coping mechanism people utilize is to get busy. To do things for others. To take the pressure off and so forth.

I have been on the receiving end of such things and it has been so great. Those who have been comfortable to just show up and do are the ones that stand out most to me. People want direction. They want to be told what to do and to know what would be most helpful. However, in the case of tragedy, those in throws of it are dealing and coping with so much that to offer direction and delegate tasks becomes one more thing to think about.

May I suggest a few things. First and foremost, if you are comfortable and you live nearby, just do something. Show up with a ready made dinner. Take the 16 year old out for a movie or buy her a free pass for her and friend to go. Fill your MIL's refrigerator with food. I think you get the idea. So often I didn't know what to tell people. I didn't know what would be helpful. Everything was helpful and nothing too.

The other thing I would like to suggest is to 'simply be.' I remember sitting with people in the hospital when Aria was first sick. I was grateful for the opportunity to just talk. I definitely process aloud so those who were comfortable being in my presence in full view of a dramatic range of emotion helped me more than words can say.

There's a great story about a little boy whose elderly neighbor lost his beloved wife. One day the little boy saw his neighbor sitting in a rocking chair on his front porch. He went to him and climbed into his lap and sat with this surrogate-like granddad for a while. His mom saw him and also noticed that the elderly man was crying. A little while later the little boy came home and his mother asked, "Honey what did you say to him?" to which the little boy replied, "Nothing. I just helped him cry."

Peace be with you and your loved ones. ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  7:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Leila, that is alot. And you are so sweet to ask for prayer for the ones you love. I love what Julia said.

I will be praying for you, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Leila, I'm praying for your family and friend. And I agree with Julia, just being there and/or doing what seems like small insignificant things really shows you care. What doesn't seem like much to you does to someone who is probably having trouble doing anything.

May God bless you and yours,
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Leila, how are you today? I'm just thinking of you and sending warm gentle thoughts on the breeze. Here's to you and your family. ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pioneergirl23
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Leila
Woodburn Oregon
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Julia,

You are such an angel. Your words have been so helpful for me, thank you so much. When Brett first passed I did take a few meals over. Since then my hubby has been back a few times to help with "man's work" around the house. I have tried to find ways to help her - but it seems she's coping with her grief by keeping busy so I'm afraid that doesn't leave many options for me. Her house is cleaner than I've ever seen it and I think she changes her socks twice a day just so she has laundry to do! :) I did take your advice though and I have a "date" with my lil sis-in-law to go see Marley & Me this weekend.

Sandy is out of the hospital - miraculously - and though her kitchen countertop is lined with more medications than a pharmacy, she's up and at em (with the help of a walker). She seems to have aged 10 years just this week - but she's such a strong woman. I still fear for her, but much less so the more her color comes back.

As for my friend - he had his appointment with the nuerologist two days ago and he's scheduled for surgery on the 24th of Feb. I'm so scared for him, and that fear just doesn't seem to go away. He has twin baby girls just a few months older than my 2 year old, and they love their daddy so much... I just can't imagine.

Thank you to *everyone* for your warm thoughts and prayers. They really do help.

Leila ~Farmgirl Sister #425

"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things in life which are the real ones after all." ~Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Leila, I'm praying for you and your loved ones. You've been through quite a bit lately. I'm sending warm, healing thoughts and hugs your way.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Leila!! I can so relate to cleaning, cleaning, cleaning as a way to get my mind off things. I had read in some of the books about coping with cancer that we given to me to 'just let go of those chores. laundry doesn't matter, doing the dishes doesn't matter, cleaning doesn't matter, etc..etc.." In part this is true, but I found doing laundry so healing. It was mindless and easy and it gave me a sense of accomplishment during a time when I felt so completely helpless. It gave me a sense of 'control' when I was so powerless. I think these are important coping mechanisms for sure! They can become, however, a way to avoid life. "I'm too busy, I've got to clean my oven, I can't join you for dinner even though I want to.." This kind of thing.

We want people to heal quicker than they can so often. Time, I've discover is healing's partner...time...in time your family and friends will mend and all along the way, you will have been with them. They may not remember what you have done, but they will remember that you were there.....

Thinking of you and sending love, ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Praying for you!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  12:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Leila so glad things are better, seems like when it rains it pours

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Sometimes enough is just too much Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page