Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Know any herbs that deter cats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Know any herbs that deter cats? Next Topic  

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile
My mom has a problem with cats marking their territory. Does anyone know of some herbs we can make into sachets and put around the house to keep cats out of certain rooms. They seem to prefer one or 2 spots and even if you clean it up they go back to the same spot. Any suggestions? Thanks bunches!

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Gonna get cracking on those badges:D

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Not that I know of! My cats seem to think my herb garden is their personal litter box.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:58:45 AM  Show Profile
Rue is said to repel cats.
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, if you hear of anything else that might work let me know. Have a great day!

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2304 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2304 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:56:32 AM  Show Profile
In 50 years of gardening and cat owning I haven't found a single thing that will deter or repel a determined cat. I'm still looking but have decided that there are just some things you have to put up with :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

AprilRain
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

April
MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  07:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi there~

A little late on this, but...

If this is actual "marking", and not inappropriate urination, I can't help but wonder if they are neutered? I've not heard of 'fixed' cats engaging in territorial behavior like that, at least not indoor kitties. There is a difference, both in motivation and in the scent content of the urine.

If it's simply peeing outside of their litter boxes, well, that's a can of worms that has confounded cat owners and professionals forever. ;) Several things come to mind from my own experience. Over the course of 25 years, I have been owned myself by as many as five cats at a time, and at least one or two have had this sort of issue.

1) Are the areas being treated with special solutions to knock out the odor? Regular detergents such as Resolve are not sufficient. Even if the human can't smell it, the cat(s) can, and recognize it as a familiar spot for a toilet. Products with specific enzymes can knock out those notes, and make it more invisible to the cat. My favorite is the Zep Pet Stain and Odor remover available from Home Depot; Simple Solution (for cats) is another good one. Saturate the area with the product and let it penetrate; blot up excess, and apply a little more for good measure. Do not underestimate how much product will be needed, since a quantity of cat pee can absorb far and wide. Surface cleaning will not do. If through repeated incidents, urine has leaked into the subfloor, it may be necessary to peel up a bit of the carpeting and bleach underneath a bit.

2) What drove them from the litter box in the first place? Some cats are VERY particular, and the box may need to be scooped twice a day to keep it attractive to them. Is the litter changed regularly? Do they accept the litter? We once tried to change to a reputedly more healthy litter, and it became abundantly clear that most of our little darlings would not set paw in it. As far as herbs, some vets and supply stores carry a product that is meant to attract cats TO the litter box. I do not know how effective it is.

3) Are any of the animals bullying any of the others when they go to use the box? Blocking entry and exit, especially if the litter box is in a corner, can be a huge deterrent to good elimination habits.

4) Placing scraps of plastic floor runners (with the teeth-side up) or sheets of foil down can discourage them, as most cats will not walk on either surface. Obviously it's not attractive to have it in the room, but once they are turned off from that area, these materials can be removed if no scents linger.

The foremost issue is making sure those spots are being treated correctly for TOTAL scent killing.

I have had a fair degree of success in getting previous 'hotspots' back off of a cat's radar with various combinations of the above. We currently have two litter boxes for four cats, and that seems to help as well.

Now and again I run into a suggestion about using essential oils to deter cats from certain places in the home. Please do NOT do this! Essential oils and cats do not mix. This is not common knowledge, as most aromatherapists are not feline health experts, and most vets know diddly about the nature of essential oils. This article helps bridge the two:

http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html

I hope your mom is able to find some workable solutions.

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2304 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2304 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  5:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Neutered cats, both male and female, may still mark territory, even indoor cats. I have living proof. These were bottle-fed babies and perhaps as their mother I didn't provide them with the correct training....

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! April,
Better late than never. Thanks soooo much I will have my mom read your post and she can apply your knowledge. Thanks ladies! Neutered cats do still mark their territory but my mom's cats are just temperamental and Once a spot has been claimed it is nearly impossible to unmark it. The enzyme stuff should work. That is good to know about essential oils, Thanks. Have a great day!!!

Toodles,
Becky

WOOOOHOOO!
Farmgirl #429
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  12:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Plant pennyroyal; that should help.

Someone, wish I could remember who, on the forums has a tag line that reads
"My tractor isn't leaking. It's marking its territory".
I'm still laughing over that one!

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile
And don't bother with foil~~my cat thinks it's a great toy!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Know any herbs that deter cats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page