Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Speaking of those mesh bags...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Speaking of those mesh bags... Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  6:39:40 PM  Show Profile
You know, the ones that onions, potatoes, turkeys and various other things come in? I have found so many uses for them and I'll bet I haven't thought of all there is, either.

First, I like to use them when I'm blanching veggies for the freezer. It's a whole lot easier to drop a mesh bag of peas or sliced carrots or green beans into the pot of boiling water. Then pulling the whole bag out when they are done and dropping the bag into ice water instead of fishing all the little pieces out of the pot with a slotted spoon. Then you can empty the mesh bag into your freezer bag after they have dried somewhat. I have several for that purpose, so that while one is drying on the counter, one is in the ice water, one is in the pot and I have one that I am filling for the next batch. Makes things go really fast.

I also like to fill a mesh bag with dryer lint, dog hair (after brushing), really small bits of fabric and hang it out side where the birds can take what they need for nesting.

I like to put all the veggies from the garden into the larger mesh bags when harvesting. It makes it really easy to carry everything out of the garden, rinse everything off and then hang them outside until they stop dripping before taking them in and making a mess at the sink.

They are also great as a hamper for wet/damp clothes when you're away from home.

And I have put freshly washed camping dishes in them to hang and dry in windy areas that blow your dishes off the table after you've stacked them to dry (I so hate that).

Oh, and they're also handy in the outdoor camping showers as a soap caddy so it doesn't get dropped in the dirt.

I know there have got to be more uses for these things that would take a bajillion years to break down in a landfill.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2320 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile
We have a pecan tree and use the mesh bags to dry and store the pecans.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  06:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Cut the ends off, accordian fold them, tightly tie or rubberband in the middle. When you fluff out the ends they make great pot scrubbers! Also saw a very cool link on here somewhere for making your own produce bags instead of using the plastic stuff from the store. The pattern calls for mesh and this would be a very thrifty alternative to buying new mesh.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Speaking of those mesh bags... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page