lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Alee's suggestion reminded me of a few I use. Instead of throwing away those used (often bent) canning jar lids. Sometimes I punched them with the plant names but, usually just wrote on them with a sharpie and then nailed it to a piece of lath in the garden. I've also used popscicle sticks (very temporary) and plastic knives, forks and spoons.

What else has somebody used for plant markers?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Among a ton of other stuff, the people that owned this place before us left us a ton of large aluminum, slatted blinds...each slat about 1" thick. These were great as I could cut them tall for row markers and short for pot markers. I have been given a couple of old vinyl ones that I will use this spring (and probably next and the next as well!).

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Columbine
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Pat
Plainwell Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Columbine a Yahoo! Message
Slatted blinds work awesome! Just make sure you use a "permanent" marker or the writing will run when wet.
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyFarm

Among a ton of other stuff, the people that owned this place before us left us a ton of large aluminum, slatted blinds...each slat about 1" thick. These were great as I could cut them tall for row markers and short for pot markers. I have been given a couple of old vinyl ones that I will use this spring (and probably next and the next as well!).

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73

The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man....
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile
I made mine with wood stakes with a block of mitered wood on top that has a piece of copper glued to it with the name of the plant and some stamped foo foo on them! Bright, shiny and fun to look at.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Old wooden spoons from rummage sales...cheap, cheap, cheap. Most folks throw in a whatever other wooden utensils they have for free when you buy a couple. I write on 'em with a sharpie. I pick up the ones that have seen a lot of use and are well seasoned. They last a lot longer than the ones that look brand new. Plus, if I lose my balance walking on my narrow paths through the garden I don't get skewered by pointy markers. It looks SO cute when the plants are smallish. Hmmm, maybe I'll make one of those cute birdfeeders out of a tea cup and saucer...set the whole table out there.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  4:38:40 PM  Show Profile
The other day I cut up a white plastic milk container to make little markers for seedlings. It was quick and easy!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Recycled Plant Markers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page