SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I rarely use up a whole package of seeds, and then don't know if I can use the rest the next year. . .for instance if I have a pkg of seeds that says packed for 2008 growing year--how long are they okay to use? I know I'm really showing my ignorance here, but oh well. Thanks!

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:44:39 AM  Show Profile
Sheila- Your seeds should be fine. I have used seed that have been 4 years old without a problem. Do keep in mind though their germination rate goes down a little each year. When you store an opened/unopened package of seeds try to keep it in a place that has a cooler temprature. Also keep them away from moisture. There is a wealth of information over at the Danger of Extinction thread- we Mavens are trying to save the world 1 seed at a time. Pop in and say Hi over there.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  12:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila, I have a friend who used to have commercial greenhouses but stopped the business. About 15 years after he stopped his business he found some of his "tropical tomato" seeds and planted them to see if they would grow, and they did! He brought us some of the tomatoes last summer to eat and they were good. It is true though to keep them dry and away from moisture.
When I have seeds I don't use all of, I've been known to put them in a pill bottle and add one of those little packets that wick away moisture. So far it's worked for me.
Good luck, and so nice to see you posting, it's been a long time since I've seen you here.
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  06:20:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the info! Glad to hear I don't have to toss those other seeds from last year!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Sheila, you can also test a few of your seeds by putting them on a damp paper towel and slipping it in a ziplock bag. Kind of makes your own little mini-greenhouse. If they sprout, they're good, although I agree with Lillian, they should be fine.

In addition to checking out the DOE, the latest edition of the mavens' newsletter is out this morning. There's some interesting gardening info in there. http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28798

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Where do you guys store your seeds? My garage is way too damp (though the rest of my house feels like the sahara right now!) Does anybody put them in the fridge?

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

I made an airplane out of stone. I always did like staying home. -Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:46:22 PM  Show Profile
I have tomato seeds that are over 10 years old. I use them every year. But I have heard that lettuce seeds don't do well held over even one year. Going to find out. Took inventory and have lots of lettuce seeds.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  2:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, I store my seeds in the origional pkg in a rubber maid tub here in my office/craft room. Seems like I no more than get finished planting my fall crops and gathering seeds to save and then it is time to start planting again. Will start peppers here in the house in a couple of weeks. Anyway I never have found a good place to store my seeds. I think I have to have them out here where I can see them.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  04:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Belle, I haven't had any issues with lettuce. I harvest seed from a head every year. I not only have the ones I start in the greenhouse but, whatever was dropped in the garden pops up in the spring and I have a lot of transplanting to do (and munching).

I haven't had any reduction in germination rates with heirloom seeds but, I have with hybrid seed saved when I don't use the whole packet.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:47:16 AM  Show Profile
I keep my seeds that I don't use in a drawer in the kitchen. So far they have grown every season for me. The paper towel method is a great way to test your seeds. I love growing my own tomatoes, green peppers and flowers from seed. Just a few more weeks until I start them up!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, all - we keep our seeds in envelopes inside a canning jar in the bedroom closet where it's dark and cool. This is the first year we've had any seeds to store (thanks to the mavens). My dad used to keep his the same way but store them in the garage. The closet is darker. ;)

Lisa, the reduction in germination rate with hybrid seeds could be because some of them are sterile. Hybrids can't be relied on to reproduce true to type. They may revert back to the parent plant or just, as likely, be sterile. Have you thought about using heirlooms? They are tried, true, sturdy, and you know you'll be getting the same thing when you save the seeds.

Also, I've read that the smaller the seed, the shorter the germination period. For instance, lettuce and onion seed may only last a year whereas sunflower and pumpkin seed can be viable for several years.

Just a sharing a little of what I've been absorbing from books and friends.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

P.S. Monday night's chat with Lynn Coulter is posted under the Book Discussion thread in MJ's Heirloom Mavens henhouse. It has lots of good info - she talks about hybrid vs. heirloom, are heirlooms harder to grow (fyi: no), how to organize and advertise a seed swap and much more. Here's the link: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=729

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 27 2009 4:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic question about seeds/planting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page