Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I got a phone call from the American Center for Law and Justice today. I was in the shower and Dad came over and said they were calling. Well, I sent CR over there to answer the call for me. Seeing as how he is the husband, he can answer all my phone calls same as I can. Wonders of all wonders they told him they would call back later. Now, I am trying to rack my brain trying to figure out what in heavens name they want. CR seems to think they are just solicitors and all that, asking for money.
I have no clue...any ideas?Doesn't it just drive you crazy when you can't figure out why someone would be calling you?!?! and Im a worry nut so its driving me crazy...
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Thats why I got caller ID so now when they call and I miss it or they wont talk to DH then I call back 98% it is a solitor and at that time I can tell them take me off the calling list and to never call again Thank you.
I have even gotten to when it will not provide a number I will not pick up the phone I figure if they don't want me to know who it is they don't need to know im home.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like they're looking for money or drumming up new memberships (basically the same thing). Here's their website:

http://www.aclj.org/

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:12:19 PM  Show Profile
I went to their website, but it just overwhelmed me. I imagine since it said donate something or order in the corner that is was more than likely a user supported kind of thing.
I know I am on the do not call list, but maybe I need to sign up again or something. Does that thing run out?
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile
This is precisely why I had our land line disconnected. I thought it would be so awful not to have a "house phone". It has been months and I have not missed it at all. We all have cell phones so it hasn't been a problem.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:37:33 PM  Show Profile
So, you don't get solicitors on cell phones? How does that work with the way companies are just dialing up numbers at random? We may be getting cell service here in the next year or so, so I'm really curious.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:54:01 PM  Show Profile
I get solicitors on my cell phone too.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ask them what they want, then politely tell them that you are on the NDNC LIST and to remove your from their list immediatley or you will report them to the FCC.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, you do have to periodically have to re-register on the do not call list but I'm not sure how often...I do get solicitor calls on my cell phone too. I too have caller id and do not answer the phone if there isn't any identifying info or I don't recognize the number...but I am always curious as to who it was so I do often call the number back from work just to see who was calling...
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  11:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Anyone you have donated to in the past can still call you even if you're on the Do Not Call registry. And there are political organizations who can call anyway.

The problem is the auto-dialers. Their computer just calls all possible numbers at some point and NDNC can't do anything about them. I have asked them to take my name off their lists, but one kind person explained that it was a computer generated call and they don't have a list to remove me from. Other people just say "okay" but I get called again because of that.

The only thing you can do with those is join NDNC and when you get a call, make sure you get the organziation name and a call back number. You just say you don't have the time right then, but can you call back later and hear more or donate then. They'll give you a number. Then you report that to NDNC.

If you tell the person you're going to report them and then ask for the number...well...click. They'll hang up on you.

It's not their fault anyway, so best to be nice and get the info you need.

I always thank people calling even though I don't want to be called. They are just trying to make a paycheck, too.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  04:56:25 AM  Show Profile
We have put our landline and cell phones on the NDNC list. I think it runs out after like 5 years or something.
Maybe it is time again.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pesky Phone Calls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page