wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  5:30:55 PM  Show Profile
I guess I will just have to live without them. Today I almost was a goner. I went ice fishing again with my husband near Red Lodge, Montana. We didn't get any fish. The ice was a cracking and a pinging so loud I think it scared the fish. We thought we would pack up and take a drive instead after trying for about 2 hours. OK, we went to the City Baker in Red Lodge. I ordered the brownie with walnuts. Wrong chose. As we left after having it with milk. I was walking towards our vehicle and started to cough. My throat started to get very scratchy. My husband asked if I was OK. I stated I don't really know what is wrong. We drove around the block to get back on the main road. I started to get a little worried as I could not stop the cough and my throat did not feel real good. He decided to drive to the store on the other side of the road and get me some Benadryl just in case I needed it. He went inside. I just sat there then realize I was starting to wheeze. I could not breath out. I knew I was in trouble then. Just then my husband came back to the vehicle with the Benadryl and got out some of our cold water. It worked. One does not realize one is getting in trouble or had a really bad problem until the problem is under control. About 10 minutes after the medicine I was breathing better and we started for home. I am glad that I had him close when I had this reaction.

Madelynne

Edited by - wild daisy on Jan 18 2009 5:35:31 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  5:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh Madelynne! How Scary! I am so glad you are alright! They now have pre-dosed plastic thingies of Benedryl you just twist of the top and take the liquid. Maybe you should buy some and keep one or two in your purse and camera bag just in case you get some hidden nuts! Also be careful of other nuts for a while. If you are developing an allergy to one nut, many times more will follow! Also the liquid benedryl for breathing problems is better than the pill forms because it helps to sooth the reaction in your throat before it hits your blood stream. My brother in law has to gargle with benedryl when he starts having a reaction.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  8:31:42 PM  Show Profile
I know how scary that can be Madelynne. I do that when I eat fresh water fish (trout, salmon etc). I've had this since I was a kid (I'm 50+ now). My pediatrician always told my mom to have Actifed on hand (it was a prescription back in the day and then went OTC and now I think it's just gone). I've always wondered about that since they now have epi-pens for allergies so it's good to know that Benedryl will help in an emergency. Glad you shared but more importantly glad you're OK.

On a side note, my husband is working in Colstrip, MT this month and spent the day in Billings today. Kept wondering if he would run into you or Alee (not that he'd know either of you!).

Audrey

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  9:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Madelynne, so glad to hear you are okay and that your DH was so close to be able to help you. What a blessing.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  07:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Audrey- I was holed up in the house working on homework! That would be so funny if we ever did randomly bump into someone from the forum (or their family)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Madelynne, So glad that you are OK. Walnuts you can do without. I would be glad that it wasn't the chocolate that gave you the reaction. Have you done this before? Scary!!

Audrey, Other than the gals from MT, wonder how many know where Colstrip is. My son worked there for many months while the power plant was being built back in the 80's. I made a couple of trips up there and loved the country.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Madelynne,
I'm so glad that your husband was with you and got the Benedryl fast. I hope you are feeling better!
Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  1:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Saturday I was in Colstrip ice fishing on Castle Rock Lake. How funny! Sorry I didn't get to visit with anybody but the fishing was lousy. Not even a bite.... My two kids have asthma and asthma runs in my family. Breathing problems happen. Liquid Benadryl would have been the ideal med but all they had was the tablets. They worked. I am feeling OK today, a little tired from the Benadryl though.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  4:09:39 PM  Show Profile

I used to go cross country skiing in Red Lodge many years ago; I had a girl friend from there and she moved to Belfry of the Belfry Bats fame. I would recommend you see your health care provider and get an RX for an EPI Pen. Often the symptoms of airway constriction can get worse with another exposure and maybe this warning may save you from a bigger problem later; there is no downside to having an EPI PEN. You can get exposure to tree nuts in many products without it being listed on the label; so it may not be possible to avoid them easily as it seems.
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Both of my children have asthma. My son has many allergies which bring on his asthma. I already know the problems with allergies as my younger brother is allergic to milk, which is almost everything. So I was aware of the problem I was experiencing and so was my husband. No need for medical help at this time. I am also allergic to other foods.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Walnuts! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page