Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 starting a webpage or blog...need help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic starting a webpage or blog...need help! Next Topic  

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello Ladies,
It's been quite some time since I've been online to chat with y'all. I am now living in a suburb of Chicago and LOVING it, even though we've reached -32 with the windchill this past week! Brrrrrrr.

I am seeking your help as you are the smartest bunch of gals I know.

I have purchased a few domain names and would like to start my own web page up very soon.

I'm uncertain how to get started with the design of the web page and features that I'd like to include.

Briefly, I want an area to blog as well as have a space for recommended books and products, so I guess that would be links (correct?) and I'd like to have a Q & A section as well. I need to put in pictures on the site too.

Is this possible without spending a bunch of money? Is there a book or website that I should be reading to help me or does one of you brilliant gals have all the answers I could possibly hope for?

Keeping my fingers crossed and thanking you in advance!

Much Love,

Linder

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

Edited by - Linder on Jan 18 2009 10:20:47 AM

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Linda, are you looking to have your own we-site that only you can put information on or a blog that other's can visit and then leave comments or ask questions, chat etc?
(yes, blogs are free)

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:02:59 AM  Show Profile
For a blog just go to www.blogger.com and follow their easy instructions. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Angie,
I am looking to have my own site. I've already purchased the names. One can wait for now but the other I want to get started on. I want to blog an adventure of mine, have the capability to add pictures of my progress have a area for links and products and not necessarily a forum like here but a Q & A section where people reading my site can send/ask me questions that I can respond to.

Thanks too Mary Beth, I looked at the blogger site and may get started there until I can get a true web page going.

But I really do want to know the best way to design and formulate a web page that is attractive and user friendly without costing me the farm as it were!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda- I would download the free 30 day trial of Adobe Dreamweaver. It helps you build a website on your computer first and then you can upload the code onto your website domain name that you bought using the features of whatever host you are going through. That will create a nice, polished look without you having to learn HTML, XML and/or CSS

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  1:52:22 PM  Show Profile
I am clueless unless it's a template from one of those websites-r-us kind of things. Leave it to Alee to know just where to go and what to do! Her suggestion sounds like just what you're looking for.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much Alee! I'll check that out. I think since that's going to take me a while to get the hang of that I will got to blogger.com and set up a free blog there for myself. Boy, this is like learning a whole new language.

I am thankful for the feedback and helpful advice.

One quick question, There is a farmgirl here who has a wonderful blog that I so enjoy. I only remember part of the name since I've been away so long, something like the cotton farmer's wife? Does that ring a bell? Anyone know who I'm rambling about? LOL!

Hugs and many thanks!

Linder

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda try
http://cottonfarmerswife.blogspot.com/

Good luck on your blog.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  6:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks all! Alee I got your note, thanks very much.

Think I'll start out with a blog and see if I can find the software that Alee speaks of or better yet find a class I can take so I know what I'm doing!

Now, there's an idea!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  6:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There are also some great HTML Tutorials online...just good HTML Tutorial. If you need help, email me and I will help you if I can. I am getting back into web design working on my page and my mom's.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  1:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
You're a doll to offer Alee!
In the meantime I have (as suggested here) started my own blog. I invite any and all to follow the progress on my new adventure!

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com

BTW, nothing nasty. Only inspiring I hope.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic starting a webpage or blog...need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page