Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Ok. So i was called up to serve on a jury last Monday. Had 1 call-back that turned out to be a mistake and have gone BACK to sit in the courthouse for the rest of the week!

The judge and attourneys are STILL in the process of asking questions and have seated 7 as of Friday. They have been pulling us by 2's and allowing the rest of us to sit in a room ALL DAY!!!

What a complete waste!!! Thank goodness for the holiday. I'm supposed to be off today, monday and tuesday. So lets hope they plow through the rest of us tuesday. I feel worst for my boss. It is kind of funny since he is the type who like to have control over everything. sure do wish he could write a simple note to get me off, but when even a military guy couldn't get off the hook, the excuse has to be pretty iron clad. The judge almost didn't dismiss a poor elderly lady with MS. I think the dr's note clinched it for her.

At the beginning, all 80+ of us were given a sheet of about 18 questions to answer pertaining to the case. 2 of these asked about domestic viloence. Sadly, I have been a victim, and may (if i'm ever chosen) be biased one way or the other.

I thought the sheet would help the process go a bit faster, but I guess not. Moving at the speed of government, you know.

No matter the boring sitting around, getting to know a little about the complete strangers in the room has been fun.

OH! And if anyone EVER needs to know how to get to Carthage.....I can now get there practically in my sleep!

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Anna, I can't imagine the process taking so long unless it was a murder case. We have never had jury selection take longer than a day. Murder trials it can take a couple days but, that's all. I hope you've been taking a good book with you!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  07:40:03 AM  Show Profile
I have been on Jury duty since Dec 1 and have 2 more weeks to go. When I get called to go to a jury selection it only takes 1/2 a day and thats all 50 some people being questioned and then the jury selection done. I am so sorry it takes so long for you but it is our duty as they say every time we see the movie.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile
My dad actually got picked to serve on a jury (for an armed robbery), but I've never gotten closer than the "call-in every morning standby" stage. Not looking forward to the day when I have to go in, but yeah it's a responsibility we all have to perform someday...
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Yea, it's a murder trial.

We got a reprieve today when just about everything was cancelled and closed due to snow.

We'll resume tomorrow.

A frined said to me a time ago, rather a picked jury than the same people whose job it is to do all the time who might indeed otherwise have a bias.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I haven't had to do jury duty yet (knock on wood) but I can't imagine. What a waste of time, but at least you won't be called for a good long time once it is through.
hugs and prayers!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Life should NOT be a jounrey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, what a ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile
And the saga continues.

As of 5 p.m. tonight, there were just 4 of us left in the sitting room.

The judge called us into the courtroom, noted our numbers and said for us to come back TOMORROW where we will be joined by group II!!!! (That's the 3rd pool of 23 people).

From the way it looks, they were randomly pulling names, so at this rate, it couod be ANOTHER 2 weeks!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  4:37:18 PM  Show Profile
We were joined by group II this a.m. Kind of felt good to for once actually kind of know what to expect...as in LOTS of sitting.

The morning was slow but the new group was full of very fun and boysterious people. We had to be quieted at one point.

After the lunch recess, we settled in and all was pretty quiet. We coulod kind of hear through the door, so I got a feeling we might take our afternoon recess shortly after 3. The door oopened suddenly and the bailiff called ME! My heart was pounding mostly because he had startled me out of a good book. The questions asked were indeed expected. After a few minutes i got used to the process, but was VERY self conscious of the fsct that huge drops of sweat were running down my face! Oh brother!!!!!! The room was warm, and I was still dressed in a heavy fleece pullover. TOO MUCH!

After 20 minutes worth of questioning, i was able to be excused. Thanks to a very toxic marriage and an incident with domestic violence (me being the victim), i was able to go. I am still very biased against stuff like this and STILL bare those scars even though it all happend 11 years ago.

So to any one else having to serve.....bring a book and dress in layers!

Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I was once in the pool of jurors for a murder trial. But basically, they said, if being in a jury for a couple of months could cause you hardship, then you could be excused. (I was taking care of my 90 year old grandpa at the time and could not afford to pay for someone to care for him, so I was excused.)

But it made me wonder, how does anyone get a fair jury if the only people that stay are retired or unemployed people. Not that there is anything wrong with being retired or unemployed, but it is not necessarily a jury of your peers.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree.

Now the judge that we had allowed folks to stand before him and plea their case as to why they couldn't serve but,

this guy is tough since he almost didn't let an elderly woman off, and she had MS, walked with a cane and had a dr's note. I think the note made it easier. One other lady got off too, she was oriental and claimed she couodn't understand much english. She is Korean BUT, a Korean realestate agent who works in Pinehurst not far from where we were. She got off easy!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Doing my civic duty Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page