Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hay Box Next Topic  

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone built or ever used a hay box? I am looking for directions. I heard you can cook in them. I would like to use mine to let my bread rise in.

Tina

With God all things are possible

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4277 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4277 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  03:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of one,but I sure hope someone has. Have your tried to google it?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:32:36 AM  Show Profile
I have the directions in an old issue of Mother Earth News. I found this http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1980-01-01/Rediscover-the-Hay-Box-Cooker.aspx I've had it on my to-do list, but just never got there. Maybe this year?! I hadn't thought of using it to let bread rise in, but sounds like a good plan. I sure missed my old propane oven yesterday. Because it had a pilot light, it maintained a nice warm place to let my bread raise. Well that is not what happened yesterday, that's for sure!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sister #293 I will check out that web site what happened yesterday? I sure would love to get rid of my electric stove and oven and get gas ones.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  6:36:48 PM  Show Profile
I tried making my first loaf of bread using the sourdough starter and it did not raise like it should have, mainly because I did not keep it at a constant temperature. It's not something I would want to drop on my toe!! Oh well, I think the loaf would be real good for skeet shooting!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  05:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Ha! Ha! I have made the same loaf a time or two. Thats why the hay box. Hows the weather where you are? I am in Georgia, and the temp is 38. Since we are in GA we have a heat pump. Worthless in my opinion. I can't get bread to rise for nothin.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  10:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I found a trick and got my bread to rise last week. (It never rises) Anyway I heated up my large crock bowl in the oven while I prepared the dough...then took it out of the oven and lined it with a bath towel..placed my dough in its bowl inside the crock and covered it with another towel..It rose!!!!! My kitchen is 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house and I can never keep it warm. It worked and the bread was yummy!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hay Box Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page