jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
There is a great discussion going on about Andrew Wyeth, one of my favorite painters, so I thought I might start one about my other favorite artist, Carl Larsson. He was a Swedish painter who painted his family and his farm in the late 1800's. I love his work!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 17 2009 1:11:40 PM

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  3:39:02 PM  Show Profile
I too am a fan of Carl Larsson, he was a wonderful painter and his heart really shows in his work.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:35:04 PM  Show Profile
I love Carl Larsson! I have my "great-room" all done in Swedish style with a white bench (my husband made it out of an old bed... head and foot board), red geraniums, painted stepback cupboards, a Swedish gray color wooden dining room table and chairs. On my wall I have one of Carl Larrson's prints called Viking Expedition. It is a print of all of the kids in a little skiff on a lake! Also, my front parlor that connects to the livingroom via french doors is also very Swedish. This is where I have my soap shop all done in light blue with white beadboard paneling, a blue checked love seat an antique rocker and a 100-year old plus glass cupboard where I keep my soap....Can you tell I descend from a long line of Swedes?? I love anything and everything Swedish!

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile
I love his work too - I was lucky enough to find a print of his at the goodwill, not a great quality one but I love the picture, it is in my kitchen
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:59:42 AM  Show Profile
You have a beautiful blog! We have the same tastes in quilting, poets and authors!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile
I think I've seen pictures by Carl Larsson in home decorating books - from around 1890-1910 maybe? If that's the same guy, I'll have to look for more of his work online. I've never seen a print by him.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Once when my daughter was a little girl, we went to a dollar book sale. I found these three books called The Home, The Farm, and The Family by Carl Larsson. For a total of 3 dollars! They were large books but not thick, and we have poured over all the paintings in the books that tell the life of a Swedish farm. The colors are delicate and clear and the paintings have a lot of humor in them, too. Over the years, they have become some of my favorite books. Country Living did an issue once about decorating your house in the Larsson style.

The Larsson family had lots of children, and the paintings depict so clearly all the seasons of their lives. I hope you all can find some of these and enjoy them too. In some ways, I see similarities in MaryJanes magazines, as they are also filled with lovely depictions of farm life and family and humor, and quietly stated beauty.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  4:49:16 PM  Show Profile
The series of three books sounds lovely. I'll have to look for them.

I just found a website with a large gallery of his paintings.

www.scandinaviantreasures.com

I love the family scenes. So intimate and informal, especially for the time period. I just about snorted tea out of my nose when I found the painting titled "Mother's and the Little Girl's Room". It shows three little girls getting dressed in their bedroom, and one of them right in the foreground is standing among the building blocks naked as a jay bird (except for her tall black socks!)
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  6:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie - Thanks for starting this thread! I'd never heard of Carl Larsson before, but I just did a search on his work, and I LOVE it! I'm going to see if I can find somewhere to buy a print. :-)
Has anyone else ever heard of Charles Spencelayh? I have a book called "I Love Old Things," which is where I first saw a painting of his, and I just love it! For some reason, I just really like paintings with older people, especially old men (a lot of Spencelayh's stuff has old men in it), in them. One of my favorite paintings is "The Bookworm."

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  05:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jeannie...we have such similar tastes in art! I love Larsson as well!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  4:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie - I remember looking at those books when I was little - they are wonderful. My favorite yarn shop has a great print of his of two of his daughters knitting, such a neat feeling, and the print I have is in a kitchen and so is serving as my inspiration for what I want my kitchen to look like some day
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Painter Carl Larsson Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page