Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Wal-Mart:: The High Cost of Low Price-Movie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wal-Mart:: The High Cost of Low Price-Movie Next Topic  

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone else seen this movie? I was just lucky to catch it one morning while I was at work and it just awed me. I know that most big box stores have similar overseas factory practices so even though that part was horrible it didn't hit me quite as hard...though the thought that Wal-Mart most likely added the most fuel to the fire to keep those conditions so bad because of their demand for such low prices really does bother me. But I really was appalled at the way they treat the workers in their stores, how they don't allow full time and decent benefits or that they suggest they go on government assistance because of the limited hours they let people work, etc. Beyond that I am also very surprised at how much money towns/cities will give to Wal-Mart to open a store in their community...in some cases millions of dollars to come in and essentially shut down all of the locally owned businesses because of the "cheap" goods Wal-Mart sells. One would think that these towns and cities could find much better things to do with that money. The end did give me hope though because they showed places that the community stood up and said no, they wouldn't put up with a Wal-Mart there and actually stopped it from going through. It's amazing what a few people, compared to a giant like Wal-Mart, can do!

I don't know that I can ever step foot in a Wal-Mart again, it honestly sickened me that much. I'm also having a hard time going into any big box store now because I know that, if nothing else, they probably have at least some of the same overseas factory situations. I was wondering about ways to save more money and this movie might have just done the trick for me!

I'm not here looking for a fight, I do know some people have seriously considered all of their options-buying less, etc.-but may not have any other choice to shop there...if it is someone's last hope I don't begrudge them that. I just hope that the people that do have a choice and choose to shop there will maybe check out this movie and searously consider what they are putting their money into. I also wanted to see if anyone else had seen the movie and was moved as much as I am as well as recomend it to anyone else that hasn't seen it. And my bad if a topic about this has already been posted, in my defense, I did do a search for it.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

Edited by - Leezard on Jan 17 2009 06:28:31 AM

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to add the link to the website about the movie in case anyone wanted more information: http://www.walmartmovie.com/

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marylucille
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
White Heath IL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile
I show that movie to my classes. The problem with it is that it's not very current. I don't shop at Wal-Mart. (I didn't go in there often before I watched the movie: Now I'll never set foot in a Wal-Mart again.) It is heartbreaking how that company can muscle its way into deals with small towns (the tax breaks they get to open one of their monstrosities in our communities), manufacturers, and consumers--deals that benefit primarily Wal-Mart.
If the ending is to be believed, small communities are winning, but in my home town, we have about 4 Wal-Marts (2 newly built on prime farm land just about half a mile further out of town from the empty carcasses they left when they built the new stores after their tax breaks ran out on the old ones).
I think there are other movies too, with similar themes, but I haven't seen them yet.

Walk in Beauty; Work in Peace; Blessed Be.
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been posting on here for a long time, due to hectic and harried life... This morning I decided to check in and see what I've been missing... I felt compelled to respond to this thread as the topic is something about which I feel strongly. Elizabeth, I haven't seen the Wal-mart movie, but am a staunch Wal-mart boycotter, and have been for about 7 years now. I do hope to see the movie too. PBS Frontline did a report back in 2004 (I think) which is what I saw that solidified my desire to never set foot in a Wal-mart again. You can still see it online (if you have a speedier connectiion- I'm still on dial-up so it doesn't work well for me)... the link is: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/
While Wal-mart is "the big one" that I refuse to shop at, I too try my best to avoid all "big box" stores and also chain restaurants, preferring to shop at and support strictly local businesses. If I can't find something specific within my price range, I look on ebay for new and used items(actually I do much of my shopping on ebay). DH and I live on one income, and we are just as comfortable (if not more) as when we used to shop at Wal-mart!
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile
I happen to live in a community that successfully fought to keep Mall-Wart out of our town! It was about 12 years ago and the retailer was really starting to permeate this area of the country, but the citizens here said no way - we want to support our small businesses, our quality of life, and the historic nature of our small town. I have not stepped foot in a Walmart in years, and don't ever intend to. I'd not heard of this movie, so thanks for sharing the information, and thanks also for the Frontline link (I love that show!).

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile
I have not shopped at walmart since I worked for them in 2002. I quit when they offered my a CSM (customer service manager) position and offered my 15 cents more than I was making (which was minimum wage). It was right after I had my daughter and we were struggling. My husband and I decided it was not worth it for me to work for them.....there were no benefits, and the pay was horrid. I then saw the movie a few years later, and knew I made the right decision. Their business practices are against everything I believe in. Great movie! There is another one, that was a kind of *counter* to it (I believe it was made by walmart). Very interesting.......

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
what about K-mart is it's practices and supply the same? I go to Kmart because it's close to me and I don't have access to any stores that are local owned. I could make or re-use or re-purpose as much as I can and that would help. I also shop the local Dollar store but the quality is very low much of the time there.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Great doc.

One of the things it has made me realize (along with another great doc called China Blue about a girl working in a jeans factory in China) is that low prices for westerners come with a huge cost. We save and everyone else pays for it.I was in Sprawlmart the other day for the first time in a few years (Fella needed coolant for the volvo asap) and looking at the prices just astounded me. That cotton t-shirt should not cost 5$. Someone had to grow the cotton, mill it into material, sew it into a shirt, ship it around the world- and then Walmart had to mark it up over 50%- so how in the world can that cost only $5. The environment, the workers, the farmers, the people that live around the factories, the walmart employees - everyone else in the chain pays for the consumer savings. It just doesn't seem fair to me, or remotely sustainable...

The other thing I noticed when I went in there (and I feel whenever I enter a bigbox-type store) is that it's so overwhelming. There is so much stuff everywhere, the layout is like a maze, the lights are glaring- I go on sensory overload. It's really disorientating...

That said- I totally recognize that sometimes needs must. We needed coolant or our engine block might have cracked. Tomorrow we're going to the Real Canadian Superstore for some groceries- not my top pick but at almost -30C, I've decided that the farmer's market just isn't going to happen this weekend. I do what I can, shop as local as I can, support sustainable and fair trade as much as I can, and just make do the rest of the time ;)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile
I just remember that when they opened in my town (back in California) in the early 90's, they boasted carrying all American-made items...I felt good shopping there... my son worked at our WalMart in Carson City in the past couple years, and he got treated like c*ap....it seemed like they went bad when old Sam died...could this be true?

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate hearing how others think and feel about this :)

I also thought it was very interesting to hear how much money each of the members of the family have and that they can't give up even a little to make things better for the employees of the store. They also said something about how much money the employees give for charitable things through the store compared to what the family gave and it was such a disgusting difference based on what the employees make and what the family members have/make.

www.leezard.etsy.com

Edited by - Leezard on Jan 17 2009 1:43:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:59:01 PM  Show Profile
We successfully stopped a WalMart from being built in our neighborhood, only to have it open up a few miles up the road nearer the interstate. There are four stores, all within ten miles of each other. How many do we need? I'm just not a fan.
When we first moved here, the WalMart had the American Made banner on the front of the building. Sad that you don't see that anymore.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  2:11:27 PM  Show Profile
I do not like shopping at Walmart either. Rarely go there.In fact I think I went to the one in our town once since July last year. I prefer to shop in local stores and buy from the locals in our town. I may pay a bit more but really usually it is worth it. Thank Goodness I have options. I have not seen the movie..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  11:00:43 PM  Show Profile
I work for a company where walmart is one of our customer. They are horrible to work with. We lose money on some of our products, just so they can "roll back" their prices.

I rarely shop there, usually as a last resort. Like the other day when I was searching everywhere for a decent pair of mittens for my daughter.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  02:43:05 AM  Show Profile
I have not seen the movie but saw a special program on CNBC about Wal-Mart. It was apalling how they treated everyone including the vendors. They told companies what they would pay for products and the company had to go down to that price. Many companies had to lay off workers in order to meet the lower prices and sometimes they closed all together. Wal-Mart is the biggest importer of Chinese goods in the United States. Not to mention that they love to run small businesses into the ground by opening stores all over the place. When Wal-Mart closes a store they will not sell it to anyone that might be a competitor - like Target, K-Mart, etc. They are the biggest holder of empty commercial property in the US.

That said - I do not shop at Wal-Mart anymore and haven't for over a year.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile
come to think of it, i don't do any major shopping at wally world any more either!

After discoverng Trader Joe's and Kroger near my folks, I shop WM for small items, and save for a once a month stock-up elsewhere.

Just yesterday, I went to WM looking for a king sized bed spread. Boy what a disapointment. What was I thinking?!?! Sure the price was right, but the made in china crap....well, lets just say, i'll now gladly pay the price to drive 30 miles this afternoon and pay a bit more at Bed Bath and Beyond or Target. I have never bought clothing from WM and never will. Too cheaply made.

Say, here's a positive you ladies need to know. For all the non press Sears gets, I found out they hold positions for workers who are called to serve overseas. Now that's something I can support! A few months ago, I actually purchased a few tools there too. Couldn't stand WM cheapness....and the same for Lowes hardware .

Sadly, WM here in po-dunk Asheboro has revived the city. Pair it with the zoo, and that's pretty much what's keeping this city from dying.

Happy to report, lastly, while there yesterday, i ran into 2 good friends and ended up talking more than shopping. So now it's more of a social meeting place than a shopping experience for me
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, on the flip side!! We live about 7 minutes from Wal-Mart and I use them for just about everything. I shop the bent and dent first, then I get everything else, including prescriptions at Wal-Mart. I did see the movie, and I was determined to not shop at wal-mart. So I went to our little po-dunk shoe store to buy my son shoes. I found a large variety the cheapest being $35. Sorry ladies, I just don't have that kinda money. He is going to completely wear out a pair of shoes in one season whether I pay $35 or I pay $12. Needless to say, I went to Wal-mart and bought the $12 sneakers!! Anyway, yes our poor local shoe store is now having a closeout sale, but I guess if they can't price their items competively, I can't buy! Sorry, I go to Wal Mart!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
That is what is GREAT about our town! We will NEVER have a Wal-mart or a McD's.......the Mellons (a wealthy family that lives here) make sure we don't. We have some rule/law that says we don't allow fanchises......the only ones are Giant Eagle and Subway and those places are not dead in the center and are in buildings that pretty much blend in. I am with you I know it gives people jobs BUT it's not right how they run it. I'm upset they run ma and pa stores out.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  06:52:57 AM  Show Profile
So over the weekend I set out snd did indeed drive 30+ miles. Found a beautiful bed spread for...gulp.......118.00! It's pretty, but not too country-fied, it's warm and thick, and a very soft 100% cotton.

For SOME items, true, you just can't beat the prices at WM. That's the beauty of free enterprize and living in this great country.

Pity it does have that kind of monolopy that runs out the smaller businesses.

In our tiny town of Seagrove, we have a hardware store run by one fella. Tom buys eggs from us. He has EVERYTHING in his shop from nuts and bolts to feed, to rugged cookware. (and canning jars!!!)

Luckily Tom is 20 miles from a WM both to the north and south, so when we need hardware and replacement parts....shucks, even pieces of tin, we ALWAYS start here first and give our friend a bit of business.

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Bridget, that's pretty cool that you live in a town like that! The small town I grew up in is struggling, like many towns right now, and I really wish they would open up their eyes and see how much they could help each other by supporting their local businesses. There it seems like it's almost like they just don't get it at all, like they don't even think about the people around them and how much they could help each other. It's odd to me how people that have known each other all their lives could be like that. It's sad to see how Americanized it's all become, how the quest to have anything and everything you want-even if you don't need it outweighs the needs of your neighbors. I've got this dream of opening up a business up there but I just don't see it being worth it because I don't know that the people there, people I grew up with and have known all my life, would embrace it, even though I know it's something many of them would enjoy, because of that odd attitude they seem to have.

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, it's a toughie, ladies. The whole system is set up for this. The economy is making it less and less viable for families to actually afford supporting those business who actually charge what they ARE worth (and I think it's been that way BEFORE all of the current economic hooey going on)...so it's kind of a vicious cycle thing because these jobs and services get shipped overseas, which costs Americans their jobs, and it can't be great for the factory workers in other countries.

Grrr...don't get me started on monopolies and corporations!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I think Sam Walton is rolling in his grave! This is not the way I'm sure he set out for his business to grow. He's of the Mom & Pop generation. I think it's his greedy family who saw all the potential of becoming a greedy monopoly. They just couldn't resist the temptation...
It is hard when you have a list of say, ten things. You could buy them at a locally owned store and only be able to buy two of the things on your list, but take the same list to Walmart and be able to get it all....It's hard. A dollar will only go so far!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes.

Sam Walton and the late Walt Disney. Same for all the above reasons. What started out as a dream that ALL could afford, has become a multi-billion dollar corporation that indeed has its grip into a lot of things, and where greed is the crux.

I worked at Disney for a mere 9 months, and in that time invited as many friends as I could to get in FREE on my pass card. These folks might not have afforded it otherwise.

I can support free enterprise, but not greed
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile
I really wish that I didn't have to shop at Walmart. More and more I am looking to buy products made in the USA. They are so hard to find. I wish Walmart would go back to the days of only or mostly selling USA made products. There aren't many small businesses left here in New England. The economy doesn't help you support these small businesses either. When you hardly have enough to live on now, how can you find the extra to pay what something is really worth. I think I will really look into what I really need and try to buy it local, paying the extra. Waiting until I have the money to make the purchase.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile
I've seen the movie a couple of times and try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible. Regardless of what the founder's vision may have been his family certainly is in the money making business right now, they have a reputation of treating thier employees badly and vendors badly. When we lived in a large city it was very easy to avoid Wal-Mart altogether, but we've recently moved to a much, much smaller community where the choices are very limited (you guessed it Wal-Mart and another grocer) and it's a two hour drive to a larger center where, again more options.

That being said I try to avoid Wal-Mart but much harder now. Somethings are simply cheaper there and being on a budget sometimes saving those extra few dollars wins out and sometimes the other vendors in town don't have what we need.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:37:34 PM  Show Profile
the small town I grew up in is being sued by WM..so..no I'm not keen on them anymore(actually can't stand em anymore) have not set foot in W.M for about 2 yrs now..yay. can find things elsewhere....and we do, and still save money.I definitely plan on avoiding them as much and for as long as I can..2 yrs is a pretty good record for not needing them..I intend to expand upon that for a very, very long time to come.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I agree Sam and Walt would be rolling in their graves I'm sure it was not their visions what is now

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wal-Mart:: The High Cost of Low Price-Movie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page