Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My favorite artist died today...Andrew Wyeth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My favorite artist died today...Andrew Wyeth Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
at the age of 91.

Some of you may be more familiar with his pieces than you know...I bet Karin (Electricdunce) is especially, residing in Maine, where he painted much of his later paintings.

I salute a life of amazing talent and insight into his subjects souls.

My favorite work is Night Sleeper

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile
When I did a search on his paintings I did recognize some. Especially one with a girl sitting in a field called 'Christina's World'. I really like that one.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh that is sad. My Favorite is one called "Christina" I believe. She is laying in a field? My son has that one.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Nancy--that's Christina's World. Lovely painting. How nice that your son has a print of it...Bummer. Sigh. At least his work lives on :)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I didn't realize he painted in Maine. I knew him more by association with the Brandywine River Valley in PA. When I was living down there, I saw some of his works at the Brandywine River Museum.

I just checked out his official website, and the homepage shows a painting done in 2008. Nice to see he was still able to work in his later days.

www.andrewwyeth.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  08:40:42 AM  Show Profile
He was born in the Brandywine Region and lived there most of his life until he met his wife, Betsy. She's the one who encouraged his painting in Maine. He alternated from the coast of Maine to PA. In fact, one of his sons, Jamie, lives still in Maine, I believe.

He was still fairly prolific into his late years. I've heard his work described as melancholy, but I rarely saw that...even in his lonliest paintings of abandoned farms I saw the life that was once there.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I have never been a fan of Andrew Wyeth's work. It just leaves me cold.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Vi!! He was my favorite too! I remember buying the coffee table book the "Helga Paintings" and have worn it out. I have "Evening at Kuerners" in my kitchen & the one with the dog in front of the hearth in my stairwell. I just love the feeling that his paintings evoke, & was shocked that critics called him a painter & not an artist. I was fortunate enough to see his paintings on tour, & was in total awe. I honestly can't put into words the way his works make me feel, but I guess that is why I love him so.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
hi febvi, thanks for letting us know about this. we have the masters bed. but also have a dream story about his father nc wyeth that still makes me and dh laugh out loud.
hope you are doing well
love fran in texas

love
frannie in texas
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you; I did an appraisal in those towers above Jay's restaurant(can't think of the name) & the realtor lived there so I met her at her condo. She had about 4 or 5 Wyeths that were numbered 2 through 5 or something like that & also an original(can't remember for the life of me though) I almost fell down when I walked in. They were HUGE too. It was my dream condo.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile
What beautiful works of art! Looks as if this artist lived a long 'expressive' life!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile
He is my favorite artist also. Thank you posting this. He was a phenomenal painter!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by electricdunce

I have never been a fan of Andrew Wyeth's work. It just leaves me cold.

Other folks have said the same thing to me...it just depends on your own personal view of beauty. I have a tendency toward the stark and melancholy--always have. I think I like the quiet in the paintings...quiet like still.

But, I mentioned you only in that being from Maine you might be familiar since they associate him so with the state.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 16 2009 11:35:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:46:42 AM  Show Profile
Andrew Wyeth was always my favorite artist. As a studio art major he has been a tremendous influence on my work. Does anyone know the true story of Christina's World? My female in the painting sitting on a hill looking up towards the house is actualy a severely mentally and physically handicapt women. Read Wyeths biography for pictures and info on Christina, it's facinating. I also love his Helga paintings. They are breathtaking. One of the most appreciated characteristic I have always loved about Wyeth is that he saw beauty in people with differences.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile
We have a shared perspective, Connie...I'd love to see some of your work! I have both biographies of Andrew and N.C (wanted to see what pressures Andrew was under, as well as influence) and was amazed by the stories of the everyday people he found such raw beauty in. I've also read many things written by his wife, for her view of his work, and life. Very strong woman, for sure.

I also like his son, Jamie's work...are you familiar?
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:23:21 PM  Show Profile
>>Oh, this just makes me so sad! I've always loved Andrew Wyeth and have found so much depth to his work. And have a print of his, very nicely framed, that I "bought" from a lady who had a space next to me in a flea market some 12 years ago. She had the "painting" for sale ("Half Bushel") for something like $12.00. I immediately recognized the style of the work, and nearly ran over 3 people to get a closer look at the piece.

She hadn't sold the piece by the end of the day, so I told her I'd pay for it the next day -- I went home, told Tom what I found an' he just mumbled ok...I about Ran from my car the next day to get into the flea market(I sold handmade greeting cards & handweavings) blew past my stall and Really Fast paid the lady what she suggested I"pay" her -- $7.00... Say What??!! Yup. That's all she wanted for it. It'd belonged to a woman she used to clean house for, somewhere back in the 70's, which oddly enuf, was about the same time as the painting. It's from a gallery in Ohmaha Neb., and apparently the woman bought one of the prints of the painting, which was part of a collection on tour -- maybe '73? ~~ I just don't remember.

It's amazing that he was still doing work last year. Guess that shows some kind of determination to carry on!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:25:43 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure but did he also paint the picture called Christina's World? I lived in Maine when I was a child and adored him as an artist. He truly captured the essence of the rural Maine area. He will be missed!

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Lauri--
Wow...what a story! That's a wonderful treasure, and I know the work you speak of. I have a nice collective (book) with all his works, especially from that era. He was still really prolific in the 70's, and even into the 80's.

Yes, Melody, Christina's World was one of his--very famous painting--and a lovely one at that. How nice that you associate him with your childhood and essence of that beautiful state. It's a truly wild and wonderful place!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile
I just read an article about Andrew Wyeth in the New York times and it tells the story about Christina...
"Wyeth had seen Christina Olson, crippled from the waist down, dragging herself across a Maine field, "like a crab on a New England shore," he recalled. To him she was a model of dignity who refused to use a wheelchair and preferred to live in squalor rather than be beholden to anyone. It was dignity of a particulary dour, hardened, misanthropic sort, to which Wyeth throughout his career seemed to gravitate. Olson is shown in the picture from the back. She was 55 at the time. (She died 20 years later, having become a frequent subject in his art; her death made the national news thanks to Wyeth's popularity.)"

Isn't that something?

Melody
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  03:15:50 AM  Show Profile
HI FebVi, sorry for the loss of an artist you enjoyed. I shall have to go look him up.
Melody that was interesting reading about Christina's world.

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
I hope I can carry on that long doing what I love. :) Too bad he's gone. I have Christina's World hanging in the kitchen. I see it on my way out for the day. Makes me think of the importance of home and family, hope and keeping on keeping on. :)

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I never knew the history behind the painting Christina's World. How interesting! I have always loved how all the Wyeth painters seem to be able to capture simplicity with such purity. Each time I saw a painting, I kept looking for deeper meaning. Today's paper said he always looked for the approval of his father in his work, and his dad would always point out how it could be made better. He would say, this painting is good, but why not have the young man walking in the field carrying a gun? That would add a sense of deeper meaning.......

We always try to impress our parents, and they try to make us better than we are.......I thought that quote was very telling.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My favorite artist died today...Andrew Wyeth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page