Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  07:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
After having a really bad experience with Doug and I sharing a checking account- we now have separate accounts and I am taking really good care of mine!

Do any of you "round up" your account?

For instance if you buy something for $3.75 do you subtract $4 from the total?

What I do is I write down the transaction name and in the section where it asks for the payment amount, I put down the true amount- the $3.75 but in the column where you are supposed to keep a running balance, I subtract the rounded up amount- $4.

This helps with two things. It creates a cushion just in case I ever make a calculation error, and you don't have to worry about subtracting cents. I try to go ahead and update my checkbook right there at the check stand, but if there is a line I do it as soon as I get into the car. Otherwise I forget and I have to play catchup.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile
You are going to love this, I don't keep a running balance in my checkbook! I post the checks when I write them, then I check my bank transactions on the computer. I check off the check when it clears the bank. I only write 4 to 6 checks a month. We have several auto debits and we use the debit card ALL the time. I was having so much trouble keeping track of the debit receits that by the end of the month I would have dozens of them. Then looking them up on the bank statement took hours. Now, I check my bank statement on line EVERY morning. When I get home from town, I check the bank statement and compare the receits with what has went through the bank. Then I throw them away. By doing this every day, I don't even look at my bank statement when it comes in the mail. Just file it. I can also see if I am running short and can transfer from my savings to checking at the same time. This has worked for me for several years and saved countless hours.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile
I try to do that and then when I balance my check book I hide it from my self so say I have $20.00 in overage change I go ahead and balance the account and then subtract that amount from the check book so it really stays in there but my check book is always in balance and I have a buffer.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  07:56:19 AM  Show Profile
I don't keep up with my registery eaither! I can check my account online and once or twice a week I check to make sure all the checks have cleared (I can tell by the check number). If something hasn't cleared yet I just make a mental note. I keep my reciepts in my wallet and once it clears I discard the receipt. This has worked for me so far!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  08:12:59 AM  Show Profile
AHHHHH!!! I'm funny about that! I have to know the exact amount that is in there....I don't know why, my DH doesn't get it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  08:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I do the same as Belle and Julie. I've never been able to keep track of every little tiny purchase on my own, so I love letting the electronic statement keep track for me.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  09:39:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Belle, I work in our financial institution so I can keep a daily pulse on things, although anyone can now with electronic banking programs.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
OH THANK GOODNESS I'm not alone. I don't really balance it I manage online and I know what I buy like noone else :-p

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile
I used to spend quite a bit of time balancing the checkbook to the penny, but hubby would check and recheck it so I decided that he can just do it all. Finances are SO not my job anymore. Anything regarding the household finances makes me sick, and I am much happier if I don't actually see the numbers! All the cash I make through my child care business and greeting cards gets put away in a secret place (it's called the Dental Fund). My kids LOVE the dentist! ;-)

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile
I used to do that, Alee, because when I had a joint account, I didn't always know about certain expenses. So, I would keep a buffer in there to try alleviate any problems. It didn't always work. Sometimes he spent way more than the buffer. Then, when I started checking our account online, I was able to pick up those "extra" expenses and point them out. Now, I'm the only one on the account and I still check online every day. It's much easier to balance daily than it is to spend hours going through a statement in the mail which I always put off because I hated it.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We tried the managing online but found out the hard way that even though our bank says it is up to date- it isn't! Last night it said I had about $1200 more than I did in the account because some debit card purchases made 3 days ago still hadn't posted!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile
The delay can be an issue sometimes...especially with online purchases, or checks that have been mailed in but not cashed yet.

But if I spent $1200 all at once I think I would remember!
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Alee....my DH bounced enough checks in a year to make a mortgage payment....THAT MADE ME SOOOOO MAD! He makes most the money, but can't manage it. I can mamage it to a penny, but don't make very much. Why can't he hand the managing over to me? Is it a bring home the bacon complex or what? I have begged him for years and years...but he just won't loosen the grip. I have my own checking and I do like Alee does. Write the correct amount in the space but round up the deduction. I zero it out at the end of the year and buy something our family needs. Three years ago, I bought a television. It's amazing how fast those pennies can ad up.
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  1:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aime- That's the thing- I didn't spend it all at once, I spent it at probably 10 different locations as I was buying things for school, groceries, gas etc etc. I have had 27 entries into my check register just since Monday! This is way unusual for us- It only happens about twice a year (School Aid Money), but last night I had gotten a little behind and started panicking because I wasn't quite sure where I was at. How embarrassing would it be to have $300 in groceries at Costco and have the debit card decline. EEKS!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  5:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh No !! I do not keep a check register either.. But I do the Online thing too.. I know exactly how much $$ I have at all times. It works for me.. to be able to immediately transfer funds from my personal account to & from household account as needed to avoid over drawing an account & getting draft fees. I do keep all receipts however of everything we purchase.( incase there is a mistake) Dh has his own checking account, which helps. We use the household account for food & expenses running the house like Mortgage & utilities. We budget really tight on that account. allowing our own persoanl accounts more freedom. It has been this way for 8 years ...so why change?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I do the exact same thing in our checkbook. And we too have had bad experiences but we still bank together - I just make sure to check the online info daily to see what purchases I have missed. Anyhow, it sure is nice to have a little cushion
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  9:11:53 PM  Show Profile
I don't even think I own a check register. Online banking was invented for people like me. :)

Being a newlywed, we are still figuring out how to blend our finances and figuring out how that all works together. We have decided that we are going to sit down and redo our budget this weekend.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Funny this should come up - my resolution for this year was to keep my checkbook register up to date! I, like many of us, relied on on-line banking to keep it up, but sometimes it would get dangerously low because of debits or checks held up, and I wouldn't realize it and spend anyway. Just for my own peace of mind, I"m going to keep it up this year (as long as I can get dh to tell me when he debits something!)

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I always round up that way I'm not short.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I balance our 2 accounts to the penny every month. I use the checkbooks and debit card, hubby uses cash. If he needs a check, he takes one and I write it in the register with his name, until he gives me the receipt...he gets cash "allowance" every 2 weeks after he hands me his paycheck :) Works for us.. lol

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  5:21:24 PM  Show Profile
It amases bme that when I debit at a store, By the time to check the bank on line when I get home it has already cleared.I always know how much $$ I have,. Our house expense money is done by check from a seperate account and only for that, so I only deposit enough money for paying those type of bills. This works best for Dh & me.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Checkbooks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page