True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  5:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,

My hubby got me MaryJanes new Mag. I fell in love with the Honeycomb Quilt. The story about the quilt moved me so much. I felt very connected to my Gramma who passed in 2002. I asked my hubby to draw me out a template and he cut me a bunch of hexagons out of butter cartons. I gathered up my scraps of 30's prints and started. I love the hand sewing. It is so relaxing!!! I will keep you all updated.

Did anyone else start one after seeing the magazine?

FreckledNiki

Visit My Blog at
http://FrecklesandAprons.blogspot.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen the magazine yet, it takes a while to get to Maine, but I do have an entire top I pieced by hand years ago out of thirties' prints, so I guess I won't feel too far behind when I get my copy....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Niki, I have always wanted to try quilting. I love anything and everything to do with bees, and I am trying to be patient for my new issue to arrive. I can't wait to get it and see the quilt. I might try the honeycomb quilt myself after I take a look at it. Yes please keep us updated. Glad to hear it is relaxing!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  09:02:59 AM  Show Profile
Niki - I haven't started one yet but am planning to.
My goal for the year is to not buy any new patterns/books/fabric until I have used what I have so I will be busy for a while!! Fortunately I think I have enough fabric to make the quilt already so I may start cutting out hexagons soon
Keep us posted on your progress!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Another name for this quilt is Grandmother' Flower Garden. If you want one that goes together faster, just make large hexegons, I've been hand piecing one for a couple of years, and I wish I would have gone with the large hexs, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:36:45 AM  Show Profile
I have two big flowers done. I am planning on putting a picture on my blog, once I figure it out. I had my husband make my hexagon pattern about 3 1/2 in. big. I can't imagine doing it much smaller. I want him to make me one about 5 in. to make a table cloth for my kitchen. It is going together pretty quick. My hands are so cold today though, so I am not sure if I will do any today.

FreckledNiki

Visit My Blog at
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I liked the hex design too...but I don't understand how to sew the back up after the basting is taken out and the cardboard is shaken out. Does it have to have a back added? Could you somehow sew it up without an added back?

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  5:10:30 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure, this is the first one I have made. I plan on putting a light weight warm and natural and then a muslin backing. I wil quilt it, stitch in the ditch.... That is if I ever get it done!!
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  3:44:28 PM  Show Profile
I also can't figure out what happens to the back... Isn't there an awful lot of extra material -- wouldn't the finished quilt be lumpy? Do you just iron it all flat? Could you just cust off the extra material? I'm confuzled!!
--Kelly
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you'll need to put a backing on your quilt unless you want to hang it for display only. Once you've removed the basting and the pieces of cardboard, you'll need to get it flat again. Ironing it will do the trick. It will want to go back naturally to how it looked when the back edges were basted into place anyway. Sandwich one thickness of batting between the front and the back (a solid piece of fabric) and then quilt it by hand. Don't cut any of the back off. Of course the most essential piece of equipment for hand quilting is a quilting frame. A typical quilting frame consists of four sturdy lengths of wood--two strips long enough to hold at least the width of the quilt with cloth attached for pinning into. The ends of the quilt are basted or pinned to this cloth. The other two pieces of wood hold the first two apart so that the ends of the quilt can be rolled tightly leaving a nice tight area for you to do your stitching. I've found that good strong spring-loaded carpentry clamps work well to keep it all together. When one section is completed, the quilt is rolled up, giving you a new section to be quilted.

Quilting frames were once handmade but you can buy them now. If you decide to make one, use chair backs or tall saw horses to prop the frame up to a comfortable level for stitching.

In my mother's house, her quilting frame was left up while a quilt was in progress. It was a frame my father had made for her with holes drilled along the sides without cloth and wing nuts she changed as she went along. Lots of female discussions took place around that frame and many a child played under the pretend "fort" it created.

Google "quilting frames" and you'll find lots of options.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  7:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Niki,
I too Love this pattern and quilt. I had told myself (and others) that I While I had made one quilt, I didnt see myself doing another one. This one has changed my mind. I just love everything about it especially the hand stiching.

Thanks MJ for a the additional Tips. My grandma Doris and Auntie Wanda and friends would sit around the frame in my grandma's living room tying quilts I love that memory, too.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  7:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I started one of these months ago but mine is a grandmothers flower garden though. Same idea as you use a hexigon shape. You girls can use wax paper or meat wrap paper to make your shapes then iron them onto your backside of fabric and cut out leaving 1/4 inch for basting. After you pull out the paper It will go faster. I don't think Mary Jane will mind if you cheat a little. Hope to see pics of some of your beauties.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on Feb 01 2009 7:47:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  08:52:50 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, that's about the most clear and simple explanation I've seen for a quilting frame. I have also seen them hanging from the ceiling so they could be lowered when being used and raised out of the way when not. I always wished I lived in ne place long enough to have that.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  10:01:57 AM  Show Profile
I had made a lap sized grandmother's flower garden quilt completely by hand about six or so years ago. I was so proud of that small quilt, lol. Then my husband comes along and decided to give it to our 2 boys to use as a cover of sorts for their new dresser. They in turn spill red kool-aid on it before I even had a chance to see where the quilt had dissapeared to. Needless to say, it was ruined. I could not get the kool-aid out to save my life. I am working on another one and I am guarding it with my life. No one is getting their hands on this one. This one is MINE!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  11:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thanks MaryJane Queen Bee. Great explanation and appreciate your response.
:-)

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Edited by - yarnmamma on Feb 02 2009 11:30:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  10:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Jane...

I am so excited I have kept the sewing basket next to the bed and stich a bit each night. I love getting lost in it. I feel like I channel my gram and feel so close to her as I stich along.

I hope to post a few pictures soon

FreckledNiki

Visit My Blog at
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  10:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Niki...I am so relaxed and also can get lost in hand stitching. To channel your grandmother is so special! That is wonderful. I wonder if I do that without realizing.. I knew one grandmother barely and she didn't sew. The other grandmother I never met. Someone back there had to sew and enjoy it.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Here is the saga of my first and last quilt done by hand. It took me a couple years and it was made from all my three kids baby clothes. I completed it, washed it, hung it on the line and someone
stole it. That was the end of my hand quilting days!!!

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  1:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow! I can't believe someone stole it! How awful! Must have broke your heart!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:50:57 PM  Show Profile
My baby quilt is a Grandmothers Flower Garden. I have always been partial to that design. Recently, my mom gave me a gallon size zip lock bag with a gazillion hexagons, with several finished patches. I was thrilled to know the tedious part was done for me. Yeah Mom!! Now all I have to do it put it together. I think it will be my next hand project. Can't wait!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  9:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Julia, that's great! start working on it and show us pics as you go along~

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

jillybean
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
Halifax PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile
I was so excited to see this pattern featured in Mary Jane's magazine. I started a quilt for my daughter in April. I'm still working on it! It is a perfect project to take along to my daughter's ballet practice. It is the first quilt that I have ever done all by hand. I have 10 more pieced flowers to sew together and the top will be finished.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  3:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda, will do!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile
started mj's honeycomb quilt last night and it was fun! first time i have tried to do one by hand and the pieces are fitting. had tried to sew a much larger one by machine and was frustrated ...so am looking forward to this one!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Honeycomb Quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page