Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Help! How do I get the silk out of the cocoon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help! How do I get the silk out of the cocoon? Next Topic  

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  08:30:57 AM  Show Profile
I purchased these beautiful silk cocoons from Grace...I have never spun silk and totally in the dark how to get the silk from the cocoon. Do I soak them, do I cut them? I don't want to mess them up!
I have the beautiful little tropical colored cocoons in a cut crystal dish on my coffee table, might add, they are very eye catching but I think it is time to get educated!
I plan to blend the silk to my wool for spinning. I am just dreaming of the scarf that I am going to weave with this blend.

Grace my silks I ordered are wonderful! White Knight has a sheen to his wool and I plan to blend his wool with the soy silk...I love the soft feel of both.

Monica, I love my cotton too...the yarn is beautiful, can't believe you just started spinning....I probably won't get around to spinning the cotton for awhile but I have already started a dried flower arrangement in an old cheese box and I think the cotton pods are going to look just right!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am so glad you like the yarn!!!! I have been carding wool and I love it even more than before if that's possible! There is something just beyond relaxing to sit with such soft wool at the end of a crazy day! Grace has a recipe for degumming them and I think then you can get the silk to unwind! I will look for the recipe and e-mail it to you or you can e-mail Grace for it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:00:10 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I e-mailed you the recipe!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Monica, thanks bunches.
I have not decided how to use the yarn you spun yet...but I am thinking about making a tea cosy...the color goes with my kitchen so well. You do a really good job spinning.
I think spinning and having my hands in the wool is very tranquil and relaxing.
I can't wait to get the silk blended in and spinning up some special yarn.
I think the silk and cotton are going to be a new adventure...love adventure...don't you?

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  8:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I think I am turning into a serious homebody! I will always go for adventure with fiber though! I went to a baby shower tonight mostly because I made the cake for it and I could not wait to get home and card wool! Do you have any black wool? I was thinking it would look cool blended with some of the silk! Well I am off to card wool!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  06:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I think I have 3 fleeces of black or dark brown. One is the fleece of Miss Patch that is on my blog site. Her wool is really fine. You are addicted, girl!
I degummed the cocoons last night. The cocoons lost their color and I redyed them with Tropical Punch Koolaid...it is beautilful. I am going to do one ply of wool dyed in same color and one ply of the silk and then I am going to ply in a gold thread. I plan to use this yarn in my scarf that I will weave. I am getting excited. I am not working this week end...except to rearrange the barn and put in more jugs and a catch chute maybe, just maybe..I can spin and warp the loom..

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  07:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, Yes I am completely addicted!!! I did sit and card some wool last night! I need to get organized because I am totally running out of room and yet I want more fiber!! I need to get some more yarn spun and sell some! Is Miss Patch reddish-brown because that is what she looks like in the picture! How much do the fleeces cost? I want to see pics of your scarf when you get it done! Did you find the crocheted flower in the box I sent you?
Well I am off to clean up my kitchen and card some wool! Maybe I will go card first!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  6:50:23 PM  Show Profile
I gals I am just catching up with all the sites and I am confused - Sarita how did you degum them?? I have never had them lose their color....... I do thousands of them a month and this is the first time I have ever had them lose color... I am very interested in know what went wrong.

Glad everyone is spinning - I just finished a special order of the seacell for a long time customer. Very interesting and very fun. I hope to get it sent and when it is dry I will post photos on the blog.

Monica sounds like you purchased your cards? I hope to get to the large carding machine again this week - can not wait to share my creations - I have gone wild on the Patrick Greene...Love that machine.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  7:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I sent Sarita a copy of the card you sent me to de-gum the cocoons! I did not get wool carders yet, but I have been carding it lightly on my cotton ones! I read that you can use the cotton ones for fine fleece and it seems to be working good! I am going to get a pair of Ashford's from the spinning shop in Kingman! I can't wait to see what you have been working on!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 15 2009 8:51:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I followed what Moncia sent me, they all lightened and the yellow went completely white. They lost color as they were in the soda and soap. Maybe it is our water, I should have used the water that I purify for drinking...that is probably the problem. But it is OK. They took the koolaid dye well and I am very happy with them. Love to try new things.
Grace, I have a Patrick Green drum carder...still wanting a commerial size one to take care of all the wool that I want to do. I would really like to have one of the big mortorized ones.how large is the one you are using?
I am blending in the silk that I got from you and the wool and silk feels so dreamy...love it.
I will do a two ply and then take a gold thread for the 3rd ply ....I think...I will play with it and see how I am going to ply it. I plan on warping the loom for a scarf that will have a few stripes with the gold and the rest just the wool and silk blend. I just have the issue of time. The idea and plans are in place...just need to get the hands on part done. I can see it in my mind and think it will feel so soft and look very dressy with my suit.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Well you got me on this one - I have been deconstructing these cocoons since 2003 and never had that happened. I will be checking around to see if I can find an answer to what happened. No matter how long I have been in the business there is always a new wrinkle, twist or issue....

As for the carder I have the large electric carder - not the one that is the size of a compact car but it weights about three hundred and some pounds and is a work horse machine. I love it but like you I just need more time. I have about a dozen fleeces sitting next to the table all ready to go but I am having to clear some custom orders out first....

Your project sounds lovely and I think you will be creating something magical. My youngest son was the weaver but he is off to other adventures. I have been thinking of selling his looms because I know I will never weave enough to make them earn their keep. Hope you share pictures - look who's talking, the gal who is so far behind of photo's it is not even funny. Anyway, will be talking with you about the cocoons soon.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am still waiting to see pics of all your new babies!! I just had to go and click on your etsy link! I think I am going to break down and buy some chenille yarn! I just love the green and gold!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile
I have been placing the photo's and stories all morning - still have tons to go but you can see a few of the kids. More to come this afternoon.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  4:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey grace...is it possible for me to get a copy of the instructions for de-gumming cocoons too? So far I have just used them for decoration..but it would be fun to do that too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Grace, The babies are adorable! Thanks for the pictures!

Jenny, Have you tried to spin any of the cotton yet?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  8:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny I will get one into the mail for you.

I also wanted to clear up that if you are wanting silk for spinning it is much easier to purchase the silk already reeled from me or other suppliers. It takes thousands of cocoons to reap enough silk thread to make it work spinning. The cocoons are more for other uses but I never tell folks what to do - rather just trying to pass on information.

I will be having more silk roving listed on my Etsy shop very soon if that helps..

I am also running a contest on my blogsite for the naming of the two sets of goat kids still running around with names. You can enter offten and I promise great prizes

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  04:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow Grace you sure have been busy, I just checked out your blogspot. You are also a wonderful writer! Hope your feeling better as well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  05:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the kind words - don't forget to enter the contest - those babies really need names. All the little one's come to their name and those sweet one's are being left behind.

I do not know about the writing part - I do know I am long winded. I find it extremely difficult to share what is going on here in a sentence or two. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help! How do I get the silk out of the cocoon? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page