peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm taking the plunge and hopefully in the very near future selling on etsy. I'm wondering do I need to register my business name, get a tax id etc? I did all of that when I sold my mosaics but I was at craft shows etc. selling and buying. I don't really need a tax id to buy things - everything I'm making pretty much comes from my house, hand me downs, thrift stores etc. Help!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile
It varies by state! I'd contact your local county courthouse and see what they suggest.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile
I think it really depends on how much business you are anticipating. If this is going to be a full time job, then yes, you should. But this means registering with the state as a sole proprietor or Inc, etc. Once you are a legitimate business selling and collecting money, uncle sam wants his share too, so you will also have to register with the state to collect tax money also. (fairly easy, I file mine online each month based on my sales) You don't really have to have a Fed ID number unless you don't want to use your social.(I do this to keep business and personal ventures seperate) If you were to want to buy materials for some reason, you may need a Sales and Use tax certificate. (it would show the distributor that you are authorized to sell their product and will collect and pay taxes on it)
Hope this helped a bit..
any questions? email me
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you ladies! I might email you later this week with some questions Christine - they keep popping in my head, I'll start writing them down! Of course I would love this to be full time someday...for right now I'm just busy stocking up! What about registering a business name? How would that work with taxes and such?

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  8:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also your state's Small Business Administration is an awesome tool! They are some great people who actually want to help businesses grow and thrive!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Alee, I never thought about that! Woohoo...I might do this yet!!!

Go to Top of Page

wild_rose
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lea
Hansen Idaho
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Send wild_rose a Yahoo! Message
Melissa - the best source - has it ALL - is your regional Small Business Development Center. Its Free. They will tell you who else is doing what you are doing, average $$$, there are classes available from developing and writing a business plan to bookkeeping. If you go through their Business Plan course it gives you a boost toward getting approved for a Small Business Loan if that is what you are looking for. They can hook you up with mentors. You can speak with professionals (n/c) re: business setup, advertising, accounting etc etc. Most of them even have 'business incubators'. I get EXCITED about all the services. LOL

~Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well-preserved body…
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used-up, totally worn-out,  loudly proclaiming
WOW!  WHAT  A  RIDE...
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Good luck on Etsy! I love my shop there.

Barb

http://barbaralucore.etsy.com
http://beedangledcreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  07:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for all the wonderful information! How do I go about finding the Small Business Development Center? Do I google it? I've never heard of this before!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic New Business Startup? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page