Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Mystery yarn question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Mystery yarn question Next Topic  

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Howdy!

I have a question for my yarn expert sisters. I ran across some yarn (that I don't remember how long I have had or even where I got it! lol) I'm not even sure why I got it. I'm thinking that since I have this habit of buying "pretty" yarn on sale, I must have been in one of those moments. (anyone else share in this dilemna?!) The yarn is a blend of 70% acrylic, 14% wool, and 10% polyester. It's real thin and kinda fuzzy. The care label says no machine wash, handwash in cool water, and dry clean okay. It also says it can be blocked. Since it's so thin, I'm wondering if I should use it with one of those microfiber types (haven't used one yet). Also is it saying not to machine wash because it might shrink? It's a real pretty wine color. I don't have much, but I think I can get at least one matching hat and scarf. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  12:55:00 PM  Show Profile
If it is 80% synthetic then chances of it shrinking is slim to none. But, I've found that when yarn is fuzzy or the like, machine washing it will flatten out and the pile will *never* fluff up again; I once machine washed (on delicate, even) a mostly synthetic mohair scarf and it looked like a bedraggled bunny when I pulled it out. Ruined.

You didn't mention the gauge yarn - it a bulky weight, DK, fingering, etc? If it is smaller than worsted (i.e. 1, 2 or 3) I would use it in conjunciton with another yarn for strength.

PS, I have an entire bookcase filled with yarns I picked up because they were pretty, so I can certainly relate!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:16:46 PM  Show Profile
The recommended gauge is: Size 10-10 1/2 needles; 3 1/2-4 sts = 1 inch; 6 rows = 1 inch. Does that help?

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I think it should be fine on its own for a cap or scarf or the like. Post a pic when you are done!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Mystery yarn question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page