Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Gross! Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  10:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I decided to clean out the fridge today. While digging in the fruit drawer I noticed something wrapped up in tin foil, which is what my mother-in-law often does with her half used onions so I assumed that was what it was from her visit in November. I decided to open it anyway and it was the salmon patties that she had cooked during her visit in NOVEMBER!! I don't know why they were wrapped in tin foil and in the fruit drawer but they were so moldy and disgusting! YUCK! I guess that proves that I need to really deep clean the fridge more. What is the worst thing you have ever found in your fridge?
-Elizabeth

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm honestly not sure what it was...and when it's reached that point, I just give up and throw out the container and all.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile
** ** Oh No!!

My DH does the same blasted thing..I could probably go to one of the Dollar stores and buy 23,596 plastic Clear containers to store food in, and he would Still use A. Foil..I've lost count in the last couple weeks of the times I've uncovered "Something" that's been wrapped in foil. No Clue what it was. Or what it May Have Been.

I think I Earn every grey hair I have on my head...

Try to get some of the clear plastic containers that are on sale at the dollar stores, they are pretty good. And if they, too, get something in them, oh, for let's say, 29 weeks, and Then you discover it...hey, it doesn't matter. The things are cheap, and throwing away $1.50 in plastic isn't so bad!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:51:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't like cleaning the fridge. Some things look like science experiments when I find them. I know I need to clean mine more often but I just hate doing it.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:10:01 PM  Show Profile
I try not to clean mine til it smells and by then its a lost cause and I try not to peek too often...gag!!!
lol
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  12:57:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

I'm honestly not sure what it was...and when it's reached that point, I just give up and throw out the container and all.

I do the same thing. Can't get the container clean enough!!!!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:08:46 AM  Show Profile
I HATE cleaning my fridge! Richie NEVER eats leftovers but always wants to save his and then NEVER throws them away. They got shoved to the back and then they smell and grow things. It grosses me out!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Fridge stories are funny!

I have 2 "horror" stories.

Years and years ago, my sister and her then-boyfriend (now husband, who likes to remind us every once in a while of this episode....), were babysitting at our house. They were hungry, and my brother-in-law spied a container of hamburger BBQ in the fridge, so he ate it. When we got home, my sister mentioned it to me, and I just about died. It had to have been in there for at least a month. But this story has a good ending - he never got sick!

The next story is just SO embarrassing. We had bought a new fridge, and they were supposed to deliver it the morning of the day we were having a birthday party for one of our sons. Naturally they didn't show up until everyone was there that evening. Well, I hadn't cleaned out my old fridge yet (that's me, always ready to go - NOT!), so my sister-in-law (who is one of those people who never has even a speck of dirt on the floor, much less moldy remains of who-knows-what stinking up the fridge)very nicely helped me take stuff out. This had to be one of the most mortifying moments of my life. You know the phrase "skeletons in the closet?" Well, how about "remains in the fridge?" Not to mention sticky, gooey spots, misc. crumbs....blech! I still cringe when I remember that day.
And you'd think that ever since that awful event, I'd have a nice clean fridge, but I don't. Sigh.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  8:17:28 PM  Show Profile
I've had plenty of unidentified food (was it really food?) in the fridge. I hate cleaning it too.

The worst thing to me is when I open the fruit or veggie drawer, grab something I think looks good when one of my fingers or my thumb goes right through the produce into something gooey and slimy and then it falls apart and you have to pick it up out of the drawer and clean it up because NOW it stinks!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm still waiting on the final word from the chickens, so far their comment has been "the identity of that substance is inconclusive"

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Funny I just cleaned out the veggie crisper drawer & My chickens Loved all those yummies.. Wilted lettus & celery/ I think a handful of parsley..( Why I buy so much & only use a bit for recipes is beyond me.) and a really squishy 1/2 tomatoe. I think maybe these chickens are going to like it here, if they get goodies from the coldbox.. Just thinking...I guess I better start growing a parsley plant again.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile
The worst fridge I ever saw was my daughter's when she was in college - I suggested she just take a hose to it when she moved out...
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm ok with most of the fridge....except....the fruit drawer....oh boy does that get gross. And it's such a pain in the rump to clean when it gets real bad! Soooo...usually I will put a piece of wax paper, papertowels, piece of paper bag..or whatever in the bottom of that drawer so it is easier to clean. Then I just take that out and put in a new one and march on!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile
For Lisa, that's the reason I don't use the vegetable drawers in my fridge. They are out of sight and out of mind. However, those same drawers do make a very nice place to store canned drinks like Pepsi, etc. I can't wait until I can get a fridge with the bottom freezer so I won't have to crawl around on the floor to find my stuff that should be at eye level. Arthritis doesn't lend itself to crawling.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile
I am SO glad I opened this thread, lol.
Makes me realize I am not alone in the world, considering cleaning the fridge, which I hate too!!

Lettuce was my last gross thing in the drawer. They nice yummy Iceberg lettuce that are nice and crispy when just bought and goes gooey, brown and soft when placed there too long.
GROSS

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Again new creations added, too cute lol. Come and check it out!!
http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
In college we had a small frig in our room. Needless to say it never got cleaned. Well, for a project in Biology we were suppose to grow mold. The professor said he didn't care where or what we got it from. Guess what? I think I supplied about the entire class with some mold. I wonder what people thought about the line of kids going into my room and coming out with mold!?! Oh, my!! Good times. Good times.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  5:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Ya wanna know something really scary? When my son passed away 11 years ago I kept the small container of peanut butter that he had left over from lunch. It still hasnt molded!!!Now THAT scares me!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile
I just cleaned out our fridge last week and it was all pretty disgusting. There was rotted fruit and some uncooked, putrid turkey legs, but my worst was actually when my mom and I cleaned out my grandpa's fridge three years ago. I found a half a jar of tartar sauce and told my mom to guess what the expiration date was. She told me grandpa doesn't eat tartar sauce, but my grandma did. My grandma who passed away January 1, 1988. The tartar sauce actually expired in 1987. The really scary part? It didn't look any different than fresh tartar sauce.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:22:37 AM  Show Profile
i toss out unused food about 1/a week. As for cleaning?!?

Just about never. Had to the other day though, when there were too many small containers and dumped a dozen perfectly good eggs into the drawer/bottom of the frige.

Talk about a yucky mess. Ended up also chizzeling up a mystery spill that had been beneath the drawer.

Oh, ahd the yolks were beautiful. Had the dog not already gotten her egg for the day, I would have indulged her first!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Gross! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page