Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Venison Recipes Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

The hunters have struck gold! We have enough venison to last us all year. In these turbulent times, I am nothing less than greatful! Now my question: would anyone be willing to share recipes for venison so I don't fall back on my 3 standards which get kind of boring?

Here's my recipe for Hunter Stew:

Brown 1 pound venison stewmeat in a hot cast iron fry pan. Remove when really well browned. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and saute a chopped onion. Add 4 cups of water and stir like crazy! Add spices to taste. (We love black pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.) Add the meat back in. Simmer for as long as you can (more time=more tender meat). About 10 minutes before serving add a package of frozen mixed veggies and a couple of drops of liquid smoke. We serve this in homemade bread bowls!

Thanks!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Venison Shepard's Pie

Place desired amount of ground venison, dried basil, garlic powder, chopped onion, worcestershire sauce, and black pepper, and a bit of water in large skillet. Brown venison until done and the onions are well cooked.

In another pan, cook and mash desired amount of potato.

When potatoes are mashed and venison is cooked, pour venison into the bottom of a deep baking dish. Pour creamed corn and whole kernel corn over the venison. Layer the mashed potatoes over the corn and top with butter. Place in oven at 350 degrees F and cook until bubbly and the top is brown. I usually turn on the broiler to brown it after it becomes bubble. Watch to make sure it does not burn!

Enjoy!

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet

Edited by - MuslinBunnies on Jan 09 2009 08:41:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for posting these recipes! My brother in laws son loves to hunt and donated his buck this year to me!!! I have a freezer full of deer steaks and ground meat and was wondering what all I could do with it. both sound sooooo good!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I use red wine in my venison. The meat comes out so tender and the flavor is just wonderful. I think the wine takes away from the gaminess of the meat. I don't really have a recipe as I use it as a substitute for the meat in my regular everyday recipes!

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you!! I just love game meat..especially elk!
I use it the same ways I would use round steak in most recipes..making sure I cut off ALL fat bone or connective tissue to avoid the gamey taste. I like to cut it myself in the first place...so it isn't frozen with all that.
I did a little elk roast in the crock pot the other day...with a little (2 cups) beef broth, garlic salt, black pepper and 2 whole cut up yellow onions. When finished I shredded it and we had hot beef sandwiches (on french rolls) yum!!
Have fun with your bounty. My Uncle always brings a box of elk for me in January..so soon I will have some game meat again to cook with. I have used up all of last year's bounty...and we had alot more..a friend had me help butcher her son's elk and gave me alot of it, so I had that as well as my Uncle's. Very good!!
Janiee...
ground venison is great as meatballs or for tacos!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:34:31 PM  Show Profile
There are 2 things I do with my venison prior to starting the recipe. I either soak it overnight in vinegar, salt and water ( about 3/4 cup of vinegar to 5 cups of water with 3 T. of salt) or I cover it with buttermile to help take out some of the game flavor. The next day I just rinse and cook

My favorite recipe is my venison roast. I take a roast and cut some spots where I can put crushed garlic cloves. Next I mix 1 cup of mayo with 1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Add 1teaspoon of garlic and add 2 Tablespoons of fresh rosemary. Mix well. Rub this all over the roast; sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at a low 325 degree temperture until done - YUM YUM

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  2:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by AuntPammy

I use red wine in my venison. The meat comes out so tender and the flavor is just wonderful. I think the wine takes away from the gaminess of the meat. I don't really have a recipe as I use it as a substitute for the meat in my regular everyday recipes!

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com

Am so glad you mentioned the wine, because it does indeed act as a tenderizer for venison, elk and most wild game. I also use it when I make French beef stew. Have seen where folks will take a vinegar based salad dressing like the Paul Newman italian and use that as a marinade. Vinegar like wine does break down the meat so its more tender.

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  03:26:42 AM  Show Profile
I make BBQ. Take hunks of the cooked meat na dplace in a food prosessor like a quisinar. Set the blades for a rough chop.

Remove from the bowl and mix with your BBQ sause of choice. Season as needed. Heat 'n eat!

Or use cubes of meat as a beef stew substitute.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Venison Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page