Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you make your own paper?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you make your own paper? Next Topic  

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  8:11:54 PM  Show Profile
I really would like to make my own, all the end of year cleaning out of files and such, I have an abundance, and feel horrible just pithcing it. How do I start, what do I need, web links...

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  8:21:52 PM  Show Profile
This is a new one to me....I would be interested in that as well...But I think it involved dissolving it down and then going from there....but I can't be sure....

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  8:29:43 PM  Show Profile
You can probably find some books on papermaking at the library. I dabbled in it for a while, and that's where I got most of my info from.

I just soaked the sheets of paper/paper scraps in water so they got soggy, and then stuck them in the blender and blended them into a pulp. I would use bits of construction paper to color white paper pulp...

Then you basically mix the pulp in a pan of water (the thicker the mixture, the stiffer the paper will be, where as when you put less pulp in the water, it turns out more like a regular sheet of paper in weight), and then fish it out using screen frames. From there, you roll the extra water out of the sheets of pulp on the frame, and then take the new sheet of paper off the frame to dry.

There's several different methods for drying it, etc...that's where those books come in handy, but there's the basics, the way I learned it. Hope it helps!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  03:26:15 AM  Show Profile
Just an idea for when you get going: We received a Christmas card this year, a cutout from homemade paper of an angel. Imbedded in it were flower seeds! A note attached said "plant me in your garden this spring for a beautiful spring show!" Isn't that a grand idea?

I'd love to make our own paper. We've done it at the schools science center. You need a good blender, one you're not using for food prep anymore. Our paper was always too thick and curled after drying. (giggle). I'm sure with practice that wouldn't happen.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  05:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Love to play with paper!!!!! You can use an old wooden frame as a screen frame or try making round paper by using an old embroidery hoop. I also like to make a stiffer pulp and then press it into cookie molds...that's pretty cool. There is so much on the net about it you don't really need to buy a book or anything.

After you have gotten your pulp into the frame, you can use a small wet vac to suction out some of the water or just let it drain and then flip it over onto towels/felt. Put another piece of felt on top and use a rolling pin to squeegie out the rest of the water. Then you can hang it up to dry. If you have a door wall to a patio, slap it up on the window. When the paper falls off, it's done!

Oh, and to handle that curling problem...iron it!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
I make paper with my students at school. I use an old blender. We tear up bits of old paper and put it in the blender with a small amount of warm water and blend it til is is wet and goopy. We use an old picture frame that I have stretched a piece of window screen over. Pour the pulp onto the screen and press it thin and flat. You need to get most of the water out. Then you can lift the paper out and dry it on some towels. You can press in glitter or dried flowers and such while it is still wet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:36:37 AM  Show Profile
www.papermaking.net
http://www.trytel.com/~brittq/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:38:13 AM  Show Profile
LOVE making paper! So easy!! I use an old blender too. I shred the paper.. I've used everything except the really inky glossy stuff..I try to keep as much ink out as possible. Anyway, I shred it and then add some water to the blender and literally, VOILA paper pulp! Now I have to admit that the part that follows this was a little tricky for me..I poured the pulp onto a screen, spread it out and let it dry... ummmm, errrr.. I made it too thick so I made paper bricks!!! hahahaha!! Seriously, my paper was anywhere from about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. It was PERFECT for gift labels and tags though! I did add flower petals and seeds. VERY fun!!!

I haven't made it in a long long time. What a fun thing to do! I am totally going to play with cookie mold and the like..what a great idea!! So so so fun....That's my 2 cents..~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I remember doing this as a kid! It was lots of fun!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, for all the good info. Love the idea of using old picture frames and embroidery hoops! Time for a trip to the thrift store.
I have seen the paper with flower seeds as gifts. Hmmm, might be a fun farmgirl swap...

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you make your own paper? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page