Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Not using plastic or microwave in the kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Not using plastic or microwave in the kitchen? Next Topic  

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile
I was curious how many other farmgirls don't use plastic, teflon (etc.) coated cooking utensils, and/or the microwave?

I don't have any plastic (other than the occasional plastic baggie) in my kitchen. I don't have any coated cookware, and I don't use the microwave.

I heat items on the stove.
I use glass for storing food (or pyrex in the freezer)
I use stainless, cast iron, stoneware etc. to cook with.

Does anyone else do this? I would love to know of if you have a great storage/cooking solution that does not use plastic......

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I don't use teflon. The stuff I have is from Pampered Chef and they say it is ionized so no flaking in to the food or anything. Though I am seriously considering cast iron. Also when my microwave died I have chosen not to replace it. I have changed from plastic to almost all glass. They say if you heat plastic or freeze it the temps make the dioxides leech into the foods. YUK!

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I occasionally use the microwave, but not often. We also don't use any teflon. We use our BakeOver Skillet from MaryJanes, our cast iron and stainless steel pans. We use a mixture for storing, though I am cutting out the plastic and rebuying with glass.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Here's a status report from my kitchen:

Stainless steel cookware & big cast iron skillet (hub's fav)
Canning jars for storage pantry
Pyrex for cold storage
No microwave (still have it and may keep to dry pressed flowers or will freecycle)
Reheat using the stove and double boiler

I still keep baggies around "just in case" and will use the remaining gladware-ish storage for staples (NOT in the micro)

I do use plastic with my FoodSaver. I haven't found anything as good for freezer storage. If anyone else has, please post!!!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  06:13:53 AM  Show Profile
I stopped using Teflon several years ago, after reading about how it can kill birds if it gets too hot (it gives off toxic fumes or something). I figured if it's killing the poor birds, it just can't be too good for people, either.

I also don't use plastic in the microwave anymore. I use glass bowls and waxed paper instead. And I'm trying to eliminate plastic altogether.

For storage (cabinet or freezer), I use glass jars, either canning jars or jars that I've saved from store-bought salsa, etc.

I do use the microwave, but not very often.

Ok, here's a question - I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this, too. Several years ago, we rented a vacation cabin. One of the bedrooms had this AWFUL chemical smell in it. I finally figured out that it was the mattress pad. I thought someone had spilled something on it or something, so I threw it in the washer. Well, when I opened the lid of the washer to take the thing out, the smell almost knocked me to the floor - it was 10 times stronger then it had been before I washed it. Being wet had somehow released the fumes even more. I hung it outside to dry, but it still smelled really bad. I finally realized it was made with plastic (but it wasn't a plastic cover, if that makes sense?) and that was what smelled. I kept the thing outside until our vacation was over. Ok, this is the really weird part and I'm kind of embarrassed to even say it, but it is true.....ever since then, I guess I was sensitized to that chemical (whatever it is) or something. If I buy plastic storage bags, I always sniff the box before I buy them (ever since the time I grabbed a box of them off the shelf, brought them home, opened the box, and they smelled so strong I had to throw them away). And I can't stand to walk down the aisle in Walmart with all the plastic storage bins - there's one brand in particular that I find the smell is just overpowering. Even shopping bags can have it - just the other day I bought something and as I walked outside with the bag, I smelled that smell and realized it was the bag. (It's always heavier-duty plastic bags, not the kind you get from the grocery store.) Anyway, does anyone else ever notice that smell?
It also really makes me wonder about the people who work in the places where they make these things - it's just got to be so bad for them.
P.S. Sorry this is so long!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  06:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I know the smell you are talking about. It happens when anything with new plastic in it is opened up, be it bags, toys or whatever.
I have tried to use the freeze/can jars to freeze stuff in and I wrap all our meat and cheese in freezer paper. I use wax paper for sandwiches and I am a brown bagger when it comes to lunches. I reuse those brown bags too until there is almost nothing left to them. lol

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile
My hubby got me a stainless steele saute pan for christmas and I LOVE it. I had always used teflon and thought things would stick on the others. I find it way easier to clean and now I don't have to worry about the little black flecks that come off the pans! I will be gradually switching entirely to stainless steele.

I do use my microwave quite a bit. It is nice for leftovers and such. I don't "cook" in the micro though - just reheat stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile
I know the smell you are talking about! My husband thinks I am nuts....when I say things have that smell.

I purchased an electric tea kettle in November. I made sure to purchase one that was not coated, but stainless on the inside.
I am having a hard time using it.......it has a *smell*. I tried to use it this morning, and I can taste the toxic smell in my drink.......I am considering taking it back.

I can't walk down the cleaning aisle of a store, because of the smell. The garden aisle (the one with all the slug bait, and plant food) makes me ill!!!

Farmgirl #428

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it"
Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how glad I am to hear someone else say that! I won't go down the cleaning aisle or into the garden section either!

We super-noses have to stick together! (Hee hee!)

My husband thinks I'm nuts too - he can't smell the plastic smell, and the other ones don't bother him. But every time I smell one of those overpowering chemical smells, all I can think is how bad it is for everyone. Blech. I also found an online article about how PVC shower curtains offgas toxic chemicals and that they're bad for people. And also that "new car smell?" Carcinogens. Nice.

We went camper shopping a couple of years ago during the summer. We walked into one camper that had been closed up tightly, and within 30 seconds my eyes were burning like crazy. I literally couldn't stay in the camper to look around - I'm sure the salesman thought I was crazy and I felt really dumb, but my eyes were on fire. I don't know how my husband and the salesman could stand it. Now we have our own camper, and I always leave the windows open during the summer (whenever it gets hot you can really smell the chemicals). I'll be very glad when it's old enough that the offgassing slows down or stops. And speaking of the camper - I can't (and won't let the rest of my family) drink the water that's been stored in the water tank - tastes like plastic.

Plastic really is so convenient - I just wish they could make one that isn't toxic!

P.S. When I sniff the boxes of plastic in the store, I make sure there's no one else in the aisle. :p

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I know that smell too and it's horrible. Shower curtains are horrible. They offgas so much. The new car smell I heard on tv that it's carcinogens, also. Carpets offgas too. I have been cutting down on plastics. I read in Mother Earth News that you shouldn't wash them in the dishwasher here.

Slowly trying to get of the microwave. Little by little.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't use a microwave at all. Everybody thinks I'm CRAZY! I never wanted to eat microwaved food and I got used to not having one around.
I only have one teflon coated pan. The rest are cast iron and stainless steel.
I have been trying to use glass for storage, glasses, plates etc. I have not totally ditched all of my tupperware though. Its hard to get around buying some things in plastic at the store. I would love to buy raw milk in the glass bottles but it gets expensive... I bought raw milk in a plastic jug tonight. Not sure how I feel about that though. I don't see why they cant put it in the paper milk cartons???

Here is something to think about... I work in a restaurant and most of our saute pans are still aluminum which kills me! Every time the cooks scrape the bottom of the pan I know pieces of aluminum are getting into the food. Eeeks! I make my particular department use the stainless pots and pans that we have but that is not our whole kitchen! It makes me wonder if most restaurants use only aluminum pots and pans???

Hana
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile
I too, wish Organic Pastures (we are in the same state and there is only to raw milk producers.....so I know which ones you are talking about...lol) would use glass like Claravale.

I can't stand anything in the microwave.......my food tastes funny.

Has anyone else noticed that when you boil water in the micro it doesn't stay hot as long?

Farmgirl #428

Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  4:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Terri...thats funny that you mention Claravale dairy. When I was little we used to go and pick up our milk there twice a week. It was such a cute little old farm in the middle of these HUGE new homes in the middle of the Bay Area. Slowly, the owner(Mr. Peak) had to sell off bits of his land until he only had a small area for the cows, a farmhouse and a small pond. SAD! Its great that someone is still selling Mr. Peak's milk.
Most of the time Claravale milk sells out at Whole Foods. The Organic Pastures has a "NEW LOW PRICE" sticker on the jug. hahaha! I still have not tried it though. Even if they don't use glass cant they at least use the wax carton?

Hana
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:50:56 PM  Show Profile
I prefer Claravale, but it is not available in my area......Jersey milk is so much better (IMHO) than Holstein........and the only way I can get OP is through a co-op. That is great that you are able to know where your milk is coming from, and have been drinking it all these years!

Sadly I have to accept the plastic jugs if I want raw milk.......

Farmgirl #428

Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:17:52 AM  Show Profile
I don't use Teflon, but we do have tons of plastic storage bowls. We never heat or freeze anything in them. I use them for food prep--my dad will only put what is cut up in his food -- so I have tons of chopped/grated veggies in bowls. I also use them to send Kaden's (son) lunch. This year we threw out Kaden's plastic water bottle for his school lunch and bought him a stainless steel thermos. He loves it. We hope to go all glass, but it is expensive for how many we use.
Kaden loves action figures and has hundreds. They have that chemical/plastic smell. I know exactly what yall are talking about. I often think about him sleeping in his room with that. I wish I had the ability for him to have a play room so that his toys were in there! He does know that he washes his hands after playing with his toys. We also open his window frequently so as to air it out!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, we can't even get raw milk in RI yet. I so want to buy it but it isn't allowed. I am hoping this will change soon. It should be up to the consumer.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Ruth,

Have you looked into a cow share? They are legal........or you could order from Organic Pastures (for animal use only, of course!)

Farmgirl #428

Aristotle
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Not using plastic or microwave in the kitchen? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page