Carla
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Carla
Tn
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  05:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Our milk is beginning to have a off-flavor and I'm not sure if it is due to what she is eating or that she is ten months into lactation.
She is due to calf in May and she is eating hay and alfalfa pellets. It seems like this happens every year at this time so I've never been able to figure out what causes it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Carla

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile
How does it taste off? like cheese or grassy? make sure all your equiptment that come in contact with the milk is very clean Make sure you get the warm milk cooled down quickly sometimes if you leave the lid of your jar loose in the fridge while it cools down that can help with a off taste.

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Good suggestions Heather. I had this happen last year. But for the first time ever, I tried going to once a day milking for about the last month. Won't do that again. It made life a bit easier, but the milk was just a bit different. Unless you have changed her diet, feed should not make a difference. I also got milk from a neighbor during Summer's dry period. It tasted different, but the milk was only cooled in the fridge. I "pre" cool mine in a canner with cold water and ice. Hope your milk gets better for you.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Carla
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Carla
Tn
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  3:13:18 PM  Show Profile
It tastes okay the first day, but seems to sour quickly. How soon do you all dry off your cow before calving? I haven't tried the pre-cooling, just put it in the fridge with the lid off until it cools. Thanks for the suggestions.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  04:23:49 AM  Show Profile
They are usually dried off for 2 months prior to calving.
My milk will last a week. I know some talk about theirs lasting 2 weeks or more. I don't know how they do that. I see your also on Family Cow Forum. They have lots of knowledge there as well.
I don't know for sure if precooling makes a difference or not. It may of been just a different cows milk. But I thougt a few times I got warm milk, precooling made it taste more like mine. Or it could just be ME!!!! You got to do what works best for you. I have frozen plastic soda bottles that I use to cool with. That has been the greatest challenge, trying to get that milk cooled as fast as possible.

Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:54:40 AM  Show Profile
I would say that if the milk is fine for a day or so then gets off you need to make sure you have clean everything. Make sure you are certin everything that the milk touches is as clean as possible.

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic milk question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page