True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  10:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok girls,
So my farmgirl friend decided back before Christmas to take a spinning class...me included, it was actually one of the best presents ever. Then she went out and bought a wheel to start spinning. She loves it and I would love to get into it more, I'm just so into so many other projects right now that it's not even funny. So I was hoping that some of you girls could help direct us, particulary her in the right direction to finding some roving. We live in the Los Angeles, are and we want something nice. Where do you get your roving from and where can she look to get some good roving. Anyone have a local source that we can get from?
Thank You!

Laura Marie #369
lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited for you two!!!

I get my wonderful rovings from my animals - so all I have to do is walk down the stairs of my home to my shop and play. You can share in my fiber by going to my etsy site and also you will be finding some more coming in two weeks. All of mine are organically raised and by local breeders if I do not raise them. I have neighbors who raise yak, a friend who raises camels and down the road I even have buffalo roaming.....

Enjoy the journey and PLAY

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Laura, I am so excited for you! It is so fun to spin! I spin on drop spindles and I have a wheel! I will warn you though it's very addictive, but oh so much fun!!!! I have to say that Grace has some of the nicest fiber! There are some other ladies also on MJF that have their own animals and sell wool! I am sure they will catch this thread! There are a lot of places to get fiber on etsy also, but do be careful because you will find a wide variety on the quality! Grace has absolutely top quality! I also have some fiber from Sarita and Luna that is just wonderful so there are my 3 pick for fiber sources! Have fun!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 07 2009 09:48:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  08:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Grace's fiber is TOP NOTCH. I am totally lusting after more in a major way!!!! Totally fantastic stuff. Happy spinning! it's a wonderfully addcting hobby!!!
Go to Top of Page

debaccuardi
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Debby
Welches Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I have angora rabbits and Pygora goats. I buy different breeds of sheep fleeces at local fiber shows so I can make blends for different projects. In the process right now of setting up a shop to sell some of the fiber. My favorite online sellers (both do beautiful handpainted rovings and batts) are Spunky Fiber and Yarn Wench.

Blogging here--http://debaccuardi.typepad.com
My podcast--http://debaccuardi.typepad.com/at_the_kitchen_table/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Laura, Happy spinning...it is a very relaxing hobby. I also have some fleeces and some rovings in a dark brown and white. I have polypay, corriedale rovings and many different types of raw fleeces. My fiber comes from my flock, no chemicals, all pets and spoiled rotten. My daughter and I have been felting tea cosys today. Having so much fun! I tried to put a picture up on my blog and having trouble and couldn't get them up yet.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, wonder whose genes you got this from?? heheheehe

Have fun, sweetheart!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I get my roving from my friend who raises sheep and lamas just for their wool. She sells all over the U.S. and at major wool festivals mostly out west. If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I'll have her get in touch with you. Her roving is awsome! I know, I have a ton of her stuff for spinning myself. Good luck.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile
I have the roving and a drop spindle it came with a book. DH and I went to the Flock and Fiber show this last summer, I know that spinning is going to be right up my alley. The problem for me is I wasn't allowed to open my book (self imposed law) until I finished a few other projects. I am a hands on kind of person and am not understanding the book. Sure wish you girls were closer! Hoping to find a class around here soon. Thanks for the sources.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, check out YouTube because there are a lot of videos on using a drop spindle! You should be able to find something there that will help!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lillian! I'm soooo like YOU! I have to SEE it, FEEL it, DO IT!!! Or else I don't get it at all either!!! I have had the opportunity to spin a little on my Best Friend's Mom-in-laws wheel and OH!!!! Happy! Happy! JOY!! JOY!!! She said I have a NATURAL talent! (YEAH!! FINALLY something I'm GOOD at that I LOVE!!!!).

I have my own drop spindle and all the books you can imagine on spinning, sheep raising (which I've been doing for 10yrs, so I've got THAT part down!), as well as books on wool management, etc.... but I don't get how to use the drop spindle just by looking at the books.... sigh ..... But, hopefully THIS will be the year I get my Spinning Wheel, so I own't have to worry about learning to use the spindle-- until later. Happy "Wool Gathering" ladies!!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

PS I'm like some of the other ladies here-- fortunate to have my own LIVING wool supply right outside my door! Babydolls and Jacobs! (and a few other mixed breeds too)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea Monica, but I have dial-up and a real slow connection at that. It would take me up to 6 hours to download youtube. I am hoping to find some one in this area to help me learn without it costing a bundle.

Tracy-I am glad I am not the only person out there that learns better by sight. That meke me feel "normal". DH said he would get pattern and make me a spinning wheel if I find that I like spinning. I just have to learn.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile
debaccuardi where do you get your angora rabbits? i have a good friend in leavenworth, washington who would like to raise them for fur. also i have n ashford spinning wheel that was chewed on by a puppy years ago and needs refurbishing. anyone know where to go for that? he chewed the foot pedal and the leather linkage. i would love to start spinning again, but also need a source for fleece or roving. i live in central washington. thanks, cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein

Edited by - homergirl1957 on Jan 12 2009 1:48:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  3:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, so just how many critters are required? The city may not appreciate sheep living in my yard, but I have room for rabbits. Where's the best place to go for info?

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Tracey where do you live in California? As for everyone else, there are guilds for spinners. At least I know there are in California. You would just have to look them up and then see when their meetings are and then find someone to contact. I'm sure if you did something like that someone would be able to direct you in the right direction for your area. I know that is how my friend got into it. I really want to, i'm thinking maybe the drop spindal would be good for me since i don't have the money to go and buy a spinning wheel,yet!
Mom, I'm thinking about saving Sassy's fuzz and putting it into a pot, women use to do it in the late 1800s, early 1900s with their hair so they could make wreathes out of them. So why not just start brushing the cat and seeing what I can get from her? Wonder what she would make of a scarf of her own fur for me? hmmmmm

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com

"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Interesting idea. Too bad we didn't save all that fuzz from Angel, huh?

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Cathy - I just finished refurbishing an Ashford spinning wheel that was really chewed up by a dog. I even had to replace the maiden. I am not sure about the foot pedal. Can you make one out of 1/4" plywood as a replacement? The leather pieces are easy to come by. I got replacements through www.paradisefibers.com. The maiden I got from a shop in Berkley called Cloth Into Gold. But I think that Paradise fibers stocks a lot of replacement parts. They have a great web site and are located in Spokane. They have been very helpful at answering my questions and ship very quickly. I hope that this will help.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile
sheri,
thank you for the very helpful info!!! to think there is a wonderful resource in spokane!! just checked on this thread again and am very excited to check out paradise fibers.
my maiden is ok so i really just need the pedal to be fixed and i should be good to go. just need to get the rust out of my spinning skills and get some fleece.
thanks again!
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

debaccuardi
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Debby
Welches Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:30:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry that I just saw this! I bought my rabbits from a few different people so that I would have a good basis for breeding. I do sell them. Right now I have 4 white bunnies (2 boys and 2 girls). They are German/French hybrids. I will have other colors available later in the Spring. I know that there is a rabbit show at Oregon Flock and Fiber in September. I bought 3 of mine there. There are also great Yahoo groups for every breed of Angoras. I have learned soooo much from these groups. I have also found that rabbit people will always share any knowledge they have. Just ask:)

Go to Top of Page

debaccuardi
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Debby
Welches Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Ms. Lily--Do you ever get into Portland? Abundant Yarn in the Sellwood neighborhood is going to have some drop spindle classes very soon. There is also a group of ladies that meet there one Monday a month to spin together.

Go to Top of Page

debaccuardi
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Debby
Welches Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I swear this will be my last post for a bit:) Another really good Yahoo group is the Spin List. Everything you could ever want to know about spinning. Ask a question and get 10 answers. I've learned a ton from other people's questions. Also, the Aurora Spinning Guild in Aurora, Oregon is supposed to be amazing for classes and get togethers. I have never been as it is a little too far for me to go, but I know they would be a good place for learning Lillian.

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Spinning! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page