La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  8:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Midget White turkeys before? Any good advice?

I like their size for our house of 2. Toms 18-20 and hens 12-15 pounds.

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile
I've never raised Midget Whites, but I HAVE raised Blue Slates and Red Bourbons! You raise them pretty much the same as Chickens, even though I've always read that you should NEVER raise those two birds together-- the turkeys are prone to "Black Head" and a few other "fowl" diseases if the two are mixed together-- but I've ALWAYS raised ALL of my birds together-- chickens, ducks, geese, turkey's, guineas-- and never had a problem.

You could look on Feathersite.com and see what advice they might have about raising the Midget Whites if no one here has ever had them. I'm sure they EAT a lot less than the larger breeds!! I miss my silly turkeys. My brother-in-law's DOG killed my last one last Winter. I'd had her for at LEAST 7yrs and she was the last of my turkeys. It just broke my heart!!! I actually CRIED when I saw what that darn dog did to her!

I have been thinking about getting a few more Turkey's, and I've thought about the MW'S for a long time too and would like to give them a try myself. Let us know how it goes. ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  01:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Sorry, I have ever heard of them and I have never raised Turkeys.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Turkeys are VERY stupid Belle. But they are quite entertaining to watch! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  7:50:54 PM  Show Profile
I must say, I have never raised turkeys before, but the one we have now is a black spanish, and she has got to be the smartest of all of our animals!!! I knew that turkeys had a reputation for being stupid, but our Mildred McGobbleSticks has proven to be a very loyal, faithful, smart and hilarious pet, and we didn't even hatch her, we got her as a "tween turkey"...lol...if that makes any sense...lol We think someone else hatched the whole flock and then dumped them all in the woods....a few days after she rode home with us, we saw that someone had tried to clip her wings at some point...poor thing........anyhow....I can only hope that your turkeys will be as great as our Mildred is.....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  06:42:05 AM  Show Profile
About a year or two ago I saw a program on TV that talked about how stupid turkeys are... or we think they are. They basically compared wild turkeys and domestic turkeys and then showed how smart the wild turkeys really are. And of course,how the domestic turkeys have been bred over years to be stupid and huge, grown solely for our tables!

It was really enlightening to see how we have sacrificed intelligence for a more meaty bird. Now, when I hear how stupid turkeys are I always think about that show. We are in a pretty suburban area, but we sometimes see a huge flock of wild turkeys milling around.

I've been thinking about adding turkeys to our menagerie, but I don't want to eat them. Does anyone just keep them for pets? At this point, all of our animals are off limits for eating! :)

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anybody raised... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page