kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  8:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness gracious. It has been raining here non-stop for 28 hours so far with no stopping in sight. How much more water is up there? It is so very depressing. I have to go out several times a day to feed and check on animals and I am literally soaked to the bone every time. It's just a mess.

The low spot at the bottom of my garden is now a lake and growing by the second. The driveway has been under water most of the day. It's like walking through quick sand to get anywhere out there.

And I have only 1 1/2 bales of hay out back. I will have to go asap tomorrow and get more. In the car, too.

I know the weather people are rejoicing at all this rain. And the farmers, too. Well, I am a small farmer. I know I'll be happy in the summer about all this. But how will the big farmers get tractors in their fields if it's like this in a few months? They'll sink.

I know I'm complaining and gripping and all that, but it's so WET out there! I'm ready to do the un-rain dance now.

Oh, and they've called off schools in Walker, Catoosa and Dade counties because of the "inclement" weather. So one more day of my little sweetie, Kansas!

The news is on now. I'm going to go see how much more of this we can look forward to. Bye.

4 1/2" of rain so far. Trees are falling on houses all over. flash flood warnings. Chickamauga Creek is up almost 18' right now. That's flood stage.

It will stop soon, I'm sure.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 06 2009 8:25:49 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  9:29:12 PM  Show Profile
You have my complete sympathy Kris. We had 2 feet of snow and today the pineapple express decided to move in on us and we now have had nonstop, very heavy rain since last night. Right now I'm thinking a 20th floor condo might be a nice place to be!!! I just spent an hour in the dark moving 50 chickens from their (now flooded) barn to higher ground into an old semi trailer we have. Fortunately it is clean and dry. Our creek/raging river is rising about a foot an hour and I can see by flashlight that part of the garden fencing is down. I think I'll quit looking and just go to bed. There will be tons of work to be done again now!
Di
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:03:48 AM  Show Profile
We are having lots of rain here - more than normal. The area that got hit so hard in WA last year with flooding is getting hit again. They haven't even all recovered from last year's flood. Please keep them in your prayers.

Diane - you're getting what we're going to be getting tomorrow night!

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile
It's quit for the moment here. I actually fed all the animals without getting soaked. It was doing something, though. Maybe sleet because it's a bit cold now. My step-dad just called from S. Ga. Blue skies and sunshine down there today.

There's a big apt. complex near here that gets flooded every time we get rain like this. They were on the news last night. Flooded again. I sure hope ya'll don't get the flooding, too. But I guess with all the snow, it has to go somewhere.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  08:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
We are just about floating away here too. It has been raining since yesterday mid morning and is still going good and strong. It the big drops of icy cold rain. It was supposed to be sleet and hail and later turn into a snowstorm, so I will be thankful for the rain while I've got it. ;)
Here's to drying out soon!!
hugs!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile
It will take a long time for all this to dry out. We are no longer in a drought!!!! The newspaper headlines at the store said "flooding away the drought." So that's the ONLY good news about all this. I was out today and there are lakes all over. The Chickamauga Creek is everywhere now and it will get worse. Water up over roads. But I did have sunglasses on for awhile!!!

But we aren't having roof collaspses due to snow here. It's trees falling on to houses and causing lots of damage all around.

Hope ya'll are dryer today up there. Kris

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  5:50:16 PM  Show Profile
Ditto Kris. We're at opposite ends of this country and experiencing the same thing although the rain has let up here, thankfully. Pineapple express for sure!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  5:53:50 PM  Show Profile
We've had 8" in the last 24 hours. Incredible - even for here.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  10:04:20 PM  Show Profile
We are expecting up to 7" more rain tonight! I feel for ya.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Rain Rain Go Away Already! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page