Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What do you do with your Christmas Cards?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What do you do with your Christmas Cards? Next Topic  

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  6:01:14 PM  Show Profile
It is getting to that time to clean up and put away all my Christmas decor. But...what to do with the cards?? Most of the time I just pack them up with everything.
Any ideas on what to do with them??

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  8:04:03 PM  Show Profile
I have only ever done two things with mine well three if you count packing them away until the next year. I save the fronts of the ones that I really like and either make them into postcards or use them as art in making my own Christmas cards. Or, I use them with decopauge to decorate craft boxes and such. :) Makes a pretty box to put a Christmas centerpiece in or even a Christmas picture frame. :)
hugs!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  8:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Last year the Chicago Tribune had an article about how to turn your Christmas cards in to two different types of ornaments. I did that with my cards & I really liked how the 4 ornaments that I made turned out. I decided to make that a yearly thing to do with my cards.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  04:22:32 AM  Show Profile
You can also make gift tags out of them.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  07:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Well, when my daughter was younger we would cut them into circles, add a little glitter and use them as ornaments. I hate to throw them away. I truly have hundreds of them in a box in storage.
The post card idea is a good one. And package tags is a good idea.
Thank you for the ideas.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine uses them as tags for next years Christmas gifts. You can sure make plain wrapping paper look snappy with Chrismas card fronts. I think I'll try this for next years gifts.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  07:03:51 AM  Show Profile
When my kids were little and had to get their hands ready for writing, cutting, etc, I would have them cut out the shapes in the xmas cards. They also cut up cereal boxes, junk mail, etc.. as the weight of the paper changed with all, but gave their hands the muscles they needed to write, etc...I now use them as bows for boxes I mail to others. Bows get flattened out and the xmas card tops look great upon arrival.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile
I've been hanging on to them for the past few years. I keep meaning to send out Christmas cards of my own, and the addresses on the envelopes are the most recent contact info I have for some old friends. If I ever get my act together, I'll create an address list, send out cards to these kind long-suffering people, and then put some of these recycling ideas into practice!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea,Amie! I usually spend tons of time writing the new addresses in an address book and then finding out the addresses aren't any good after a couple months and having to scribble the new info all in. I have to replacemy address book every 6 months...grr....Why didn't I think of that!! lol
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Stashaholics Anonymous Member since Jan. 29th, 2008 :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, cookies in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, What a Ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,

I'm kinda late seeing and replying to this topic - just joined. I too recycle my Christmas cards into gift tags and postcards to send the next year. Recently, however, I've revived an old family craft idea. My great-grandmother, Clara, was ahead of her time in the recycling department. No one she knew every threw away a greeting card, any occasion. My mother found Clara's original pattern for these cool card baskets I remember her making when I was a kid. I've made a few for my husband and I to keep and display and several for gifts for Christmas 09. I'm new to the magazine and when I saw the love for old handcrafts I sent an email to Mary Janes Farm with photos of the old and new baskets. Thought it may be worth mentioning when Christmas crafts ideas come around again.

sewdonna
Bear, DE
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  4:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,
Can you post the instructions for the Christmas card ornaments that you got out of the paper?
Go to Top of Page

chaunzee
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Teresa
Kentucky
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  8:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I also make postcards out of mine. Thumbs up, CRshelpmeet!

~*~If I die from insanity, it is because another song was stuck in my head.~*~
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  01:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Donna, it seems you inherited all the good genes from your grandmother and you will love MJF, it is a great place with good hearted ladies.
I look forward to see more of you in here.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  12:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I take cards that I really, really like and put a loop of ribbon at the top of them, glue the card together and then hang them on doorknobs or the Christmas tree.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I usually save our Christmas cards for a year. Then I keep the ones with the pretty pictures. I've done two oil paintings from Christmas card pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sewcross
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

54 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile
For the past several years I have saved our Christmas cards. I like to scatter them on our dining room table - facing different directions and then cover them with a plastic or vinyl clear table cloth. You would not believe how many compliments I have received! It is really fun to look at them while we are having dinner.They look nice and festive with just a small decoration or candles or something like that on the table.

Remember, you are unique-- just like everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea for the table covering. That could come in very handy for a holiday party with too many tables needed and not enough fancy tablecloths to fit them.
Go to Top of Page

sewcross
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

54 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could take credit for the idea but I saw it on TV or in a magazine several years ago. I think it would be fun to do at other holidays too and use cut out easter eggs or halloween pumpkins etc...

Remember, you are unique-- just like everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile
An old friend taught me how to make little gift boxes out of them. The picture gets to be the lid and the backside is the bottom of the box.

I found a few websites with good directions. You can change the measurements to suit your needs.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gift-Box-out-of-a-Greeting-Card

http://scrapbooking-paper-crafts.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_greeting_card_gift_box

These are super easy and fun. A great project for kids to do. You can jazz up the box with a little glitter and glue, but most dont need anyting.
Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Very cool - thanks for the link. I have another pattern from an old Southern Living Christmas book that makes a tiny box from just the front of the card. My husband's made a bunch for my mother's "jewels" that go in nursing home baskets each year. I like this other box better for the larger items. Will try it - thanks!
Go to Top of Page

craftylaughty
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Heather
Salem Oregon
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile
At my church, they collect Christmas cards and other types of cards all year around. I was on the "hole punch team". Basically, we just hole punch along the edge of the card every 1/2" or so. Then we pass the cards off to the crochet team and they crochet a yarn edge about 2 inches wide.

These card decorations are given to the international missionary teams for them to distribute among the locals. The finished product may look a bit wacky to us, but I know they are greatly appreciated where trivial items of beauty are not taken for granted.

Just another option. Heather

Those who can laugh at themselves will never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  5:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
There are lost of ways to recycle Christmas cards. The real nice ones I put on card stock making a new card out of them for reuse. The ones I just do not what to get rid of cut what you want from the card glue a like pc of card stock to the back for strength add clear glitter to the front side and it is a tree ornament. I keep my Christmas list on my PC on an excel program. I can change it easy for new addresses adding new ones as needed this is also used for the address labels for the envolpes. Then I send close to 100 cards a year. All friends and family. I love Christmas. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I use my old Christmas cards to be name tags for gifts the follwing year. My mom did this also. We cut off the cover and put To and From on the back. I also cut them up and make new cards, by cutting and pasting and using blank cards and other decorations to make them new again.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  8:10:55 PM  Show Profile
I use decorative scissors to cut the fronts into book marks. Sometimes there's a design on the back, too.
I had friends years ago who kept the cards in a napkin holder on their breakfast table and every morning they would pick a new card and pray for the person/family it was from.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic What do you do with your Christmas Cards? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page