Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 3 Simple Rules for Shoveling Snow....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic 3 Simple Rules for Shoveling Snow.... Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:23:16 PM  Show Profile
OK, here are 3 simple rules for shoveling snow off your deck or balcony.....
1: don't stand in the door way putting your gloves on, because snow will fall off the roof and land on the back of your neck....

2: when shoveling, take a break because sure as all get-out, you'll be down to your last shovel full of snow, hands & arms all weak, your grasp on the shovel will not be strong and you will fling the snow & shovel over the deck to land in the 3ft deep snow below.

3: hire the young kid from down the road to shovel off your deck, pay him any amount and then go inside and enjoy a hot cup of tea!

OK, I have written this "hint" on a Post-it note and stuck it to my forehead.....hope I remember to read it when I think about going out to shovel the snow again!
Hmmmm, hot w/a shot of brandy sounds good right about now!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 02 2009 1:25:25 PM

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Grace we are shoveling the roof today, I guess WE includes Mike being up there and me being on the ground shoveling his mess ; )

Batten down the hatches Mamasita I hear Sunday/Monday gonna be a doozy.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  3:13:12 PM  Show Profile
They are forecasting more Amanda?? Good grief, not sure where we'll put more!! We, meaning the road crews, are so ill-equipped to handle this much snow here and it's slick as grease.
Today I'm baking bread and making soup...too darn slippery to venture out and do much else! But sitting beside me here are my spring seed catalogues!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  3:58:29 PM  Show Profile
ha I like the last one hire someone I am stuck on couch with back and neck out due to shovelling but on the upside I get to spend day on computer on this site lol
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  4:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I went to work this morning in a blizzard that the weather service said was rain. At 5:00 am it was raining. At 7:00am we had 4-5" of snow. Work is 30 miles away over the Alpowa Summit(2800+'). I saw the snow plows go by my house before I left but saw no evidence they had been out until I met one at the bottom of the hill on the other side. He was coming back up the hill, of course. Apparently they recalled the snowplows after I left because the road was so bad and they couldn't see to plow.(I didn't know that until after I got home) One snow plow is on it's side in a ditch somewhere out there. I got 3 phone calls at work from my DD who lives here telling me how bad it was and I should come home. I came home around 12:30. The road was very bad. I still didn't see any plows until I got to the bottom on this side. There they were all parked at a turn out. An hour after I got home there was some kind of an emergency weather alert about how dangerous the Alpowa Summit is and to stay off the road. And now there's a bad accident on our side of the summit. At least I'm home now with no place to go until Monday. So....I think I'll bake bread and make soup too. Sounds like just the thing.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  4:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/99022?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

It looks like Monday could be the worst. You never know though. Today has been pretty good , except for the wind.

Marcia stay safe, be careful!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile
It's really windy here too, Amanda. You guys have alot more snow than we do down here. Ours all melted in between storms, so what we got today was all new. Actually I've been driving over that road for more than 20 years so I don't really even think about it. My husband didn't think I could even get out of our driveway this morning. I said 'watch me.' Ha!

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  6:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie, tke care of yourself...back injurys are not fun! I too am dealing w/back pain...it starts in my back just above my hip & radiates aroun to the fron, my ribs,,,almost hurts to breat....guess I'll be having a "Motrin-martini" tonight.....uugghh! I hate it when my back is out. So you lay low, and don't over do.

Hey babysieta,,, hunker down..... NOOOOOOO! I don't want any more snow!
I need to get out, exercise my credit card, & get a Starbucks Grande!!!! lol!
oh, am listening to the news right now...more roofs collapsing in both Spokane & CDL....
The Costco & all 4 Wal-marts in Spokane are closed down due to roof issues...
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 02 2009 6:04:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  8:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Hilarious!!!!
We all need to laugh in the midle of this weather...Thanks for the LOL's!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile
It's good to hear you having a giggle about all the snow. :) Not much we can do but find the good and laugh. I took some snowy pictures this morning. The light was fantastic, and it is so cold (-2) everything is crispy and sparkly. Having computer issues...but hope to get it sorted out and post photos. Horses are doing well. Taking photos with this kind of light is like having an outdoor photoshop...everything is so well lit!

Luckily we have steep rooflines here...benefit of an old house built to withstand this sort of stuff. I did the too-exhaused heave-ho number with my shovel. Up past my knees wading out in the yard with a broom to whack snow down off the trees and shrubs...lots of limbs down. Don't know what is going to be left of the landscaping when all is said and done.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile
During the Christmas holiday, Our neighbor plowed our driveway & pad infront of the garage, it was great to be able to get down the drive. ThenDH went to work shoveling the front deck/porch. He worked too hard & suffered the next day with his chest wall hurting. *mind you I warned him* as we had only one shovel and he insisted on being the MAcho man...you see he had a quad. Heart bypass in 2002. He never gets it to take things slower. He is better today after resting a week...Yesterday he went up & took down the christmas lights. What a man... We are experiencing COLD but no accumulation of snow.. Lots of melting during the day.. but more snow will fall... I think shoveling each day is the answer ...I guess that will mean Me.If i can hide the shovel...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic 3 Simple Rules for Shoveling Snow.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page