Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Eating me out of house and home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Eating me out of house and home Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  2:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
For the past 2 weeks, Charlie has been eating like a horse. I literally get done cleaning up a meal and he is tugging on my leg telling me his hungry. And yes, he is eating his meals. I can't get food into him fast enough. I swear, I spend all day getting food out for him. Yesterday at daycare, his teacher told me he at 3 PIECES OF PIZZA. HOLY COW!!! He will be 3 in March and I definitely think he is going through a growth spurt.

Here is what he ate today:
1 adult size bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch w/milk
small bowl of grapes
2 cheese strings
20 whole wheat pretzel twists (he at the first batch in 5 seconds, so I refilled him)
2 pieces of hard salami
1 large banana
1 1/2 pieces of toast with butter and a touch of peanut butter
1 glass of chocolate milk
1 orange
1 yogurt (I buy the one with the good for your insides stuff in it)

And it is not even dinner time right now.

HELP!! I need some ideas to get this kid filled up!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  2:10:40 PM  Show Profile
I think it only gets worse as they get older Heather. I had forgotten what it's like to feed a boy/young man. DH is not a big eater. When my youngest son was home for Christmas for a week, we went through 3 1/2 dozen eggs and 2 lbs. of bacon - enough to last us a month.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Is this NORMAL for a 3 year old??? Oh my gosh!!! LOL : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile
I remember my kids doing that - one week they'd eat me out of house and home, and the next week they wouldn't touch anything but cold cereal or something. Yes, it's normal.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Wait until he is a teenager and has 4 buddies with him!

Lililan
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey, I had three daughters and when they were teenagers that could put the chow away!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ms. Lilian...thinking about that makes me want to lay down!!!

He is VERY much built like Scott and everyone thinks he is 4 because he is so tall for his age. Scott told me he couldn't keep weight on as a teenager and he would drink 2 gallons of milk a week!! His poor Mother had 3 boys, so I don't know how she did it. Scott is the smallest one of the bunch and he is 6' 5"!!! YIKES!!! : o

Heather

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
he's going to be a big boy!....I think my kids went thru times when they seemed never full. I agree that it's normal and probably won't last a long time at this rate. When I need to get kids full and not cost me a fortune I give extra pasta...with butter or cheeze. The bread and peanut butter is also good. Danny asks for plain bread and butter between meals.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
He just ate a huge helping of chicken and dumplings, actually getting to the point where he spit it our and showed me his full belly!! HA!! I bought some vanilla yogurt ice cream, so he will have a bowl later!! OH BOY!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:30:46 PM  Show Profile
yep..he's going through a growth spurt. mine do that every now and again..some weeks my 8 yr old can eat and eat, then others he hardly wants anything..same with my 4 yr old.
so yes this is totally normal.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think I am freaking out a bit because usually, this lasts like 3 days, MAX!!! It has been over 2 weeks now. My little baby is becoming a big boy already!!! : ( : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  5:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh, dear. Sounds like his hollow legs are developing early!! My brothers went through it and my boys did as well. I think until he's 17 you can pretty well count on him never being really full. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that. ;)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  5:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Karin.... LOL

Doesn't surprise me- Daddy has the same darn legs. ***SIGH***
He is eating his ice cream right now saying "I'm not full...I'M NOT FULL!!!" Thank goodness it is almost bedtime. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  5:25:42 PM  Show Profile
heather,
my tori is doing the same thing. she was 3 in sept and boy can she pack it away. shell get up from good sized meals that she eats well at and not 5 minutes later be telling me that she is hungry.
Even my littlest one who is going to be two is starting to do that. the bottomless pit it seems like.
take heart, its a good sign. good healthy growing boy!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  5:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
The good thing is he is sampling all kinds of new foods. Figure this is a great opportunity!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  06:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Yep, sounds like my Jacob, who is three years old. Half an hour after eating a full breakfast he will start saying he is hungry again. It seems like all day I am fixing meals or snacks! But then there are some weeks in between where he doesn't seem hungry at all. My five year old girl is as skinny as a stick but can eat her weight in food, it seems! I'm scared about when they are teenagers!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile
My 7 year old GD eats like a horse, too. We get up from the table and 5 minutes later she's saying she's hungry. Will actually cry if she can't eat something.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Tell me about it. I have had my two grandboys here for the two weeks school is out---and I can't believe the food they eat. Told my daughter that they eat and then say we're hungry and all she said was--"sigh, yes I know". Keep them cupboards stocked---for ever. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  11:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Boys, Boys, Boys!!!
We have had 5 and are all grown, I remember peeling and serving 10 pounds of potatoes at ONE meal.....thats alot of potatoes....and nothing left for the next meal....
Now, our boys were VERY big eaters(still are)...but, 10 pounds(LOL!)....All of your little boys, teen boys, and large boys are very normal..take heart, at least they are around to eat at your tables....

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  10:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Awwww hon, he is just going through a growth spurt. Remember, boys are a different species. LOL

They eat anything that isn't nailed down. Just make sure he has healthy choices to choose from.

My little girl is twelve, lately she has been eating her own body weight and then some. Thank God she isn't like her brother and fills up on good stuff- yougurt, apples, grapes, milk and baked potatoes etc. She doesn't turn to chips and soda like her friends do.
(I am mean and make Joshua has to buy his own chips and soda, with his own money.)

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jan 01 2009 11:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  07:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora will eat like a bird and then suddenly she will be ravenous. I wish she would hurry up and learn to talk!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  09:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
It is so precious...he gets down from dinner...goes and plays for like 2 minutes and comes in the kitchen "Mama, may I have some more food??" HA!!! Those puppy eyes get me every time!!!

I sent him to daycare with string cheese, crackers, pretzels, 2 hard boiled eggs, a banana and a yogurt. I know they give him milk and snacks. Hope he doesn't run them out of food!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Eating me out of house and home Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page