Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 my head is killing me....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic my head is killing me.... Next Topic  

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile
I know there is some kind of oil or something like that, that you can rub on your temples to ease the pain of a migraine. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Any other suggestions for getting rid of migraines? I'm going on day three of a pretty good sized one. :(
thanks for you help!

jess

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Lavandar works great for headaches, not sure about migraines though
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Peppermint is also good

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Lavender essential oil is supposed to help, but I have never had a migraine so can't vouch for it. I will say that I suffer from sinus headaches and while I have often rubbed lavender oil onto my temples, I can report no measurable relief from it. Good luck! I have heard from friends who suffer that serious pharmaceuticals are the only thing that helps...hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Jessie ice on the back of your neck and heat on your feet also take some maganesium (sp)., or a good multiple vitamin. Hope you're better soon.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I will definitly try these. I need some relief, pronto! When I have a migraine I am sensitive to every little noise. In a home with two toddlers, this makes life a little bit crazy! :)
I have heard of the peppermint before. Does it matter how much I use?

Kathy, What does a multivitamin do? I have never heard of that before.
thanks

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes a migraine can be triggered by a lack of certain vitamins or minerals, the Bs in particular and maganesium and nician are two of the minerals, all of these are in multiple vitamins so it may help. I have been getting these darn headaches for 33 years, so you can say that I have tried about everything. The heat on the feet helps draw the blood down from the head and the ice on the neck slows the blood flow to the head. I am now on an antiseizure med to see if that will help control the darn things and the doctor has given my DH instructions on giving me injections in my arm muscle to save us a trip to the Er when they are really bad. UGH!!!! Get some rest and send the kids to your moms, tell her I said so!!
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  11:26:38 PM  Show Profile
I think what you're thinking of Jess is called "Tiger Balm." It's in a little round canister like lip gloss comes in and is about the same consistancy-- though it's got a mix of herbals in it that you rub on your temples to help ease headaches. I had some awhile back and gave it to my sister who had HORRIBLE migrains when she was pregnant with her youngest daughter. She said it REALLY did help. You can find it at natural food stores and probably online, but it will run you about $6 or $7-- maybe more with THIS economy-- but it might be worth a try. Hope you're feeling better! Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I also find laying in a warm bath helps me a lot- maybe the insulating factor of the bath water or perhaps my body is just absorbing moisture through my skin...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:42:55 AM  Show Profile
When a migraine attacks, two Excedrin washed down with a glass of water with 2 Alka-Seltzer tablets does the trick. I know, I know, it's not an herbal remedy, but sometimes the effects of natural products are just too subtle to help. When I want the headache gone, this is my go-to solution.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile
I used to get horrible migraines when I was younger and the only thing that helped me(and don't laugh..it worked!) was to take some Ben Gay and put it on the back of my neck and also on my temples(make sure not to get it too close to your eyes!). Then I'd lay down in a dark room for about 30 minutes.

I sure hope you feel better soon!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile
there is another product called BioFreeze that works great for this as well. A while ago, I too, had a a thread pertaining to migraines.... I tried just about everything the girls told me to do with good results.

I use an oil blend of peppermint, tea tree, rosemary and lav. I rub it on my neck and temples. Sometimes, if its not too painful, I'll douse my head in cold water, rub the oil on my scalp and wrap my head in a warm towell. Better if you can spritz the towell with water and stick it in the microwave to get toasty. I really do feel your pain!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  07:13:47 AM  Show Profile
Also try removing processed foods from your diet, by doing this I have reduced the number and severity of my migranes.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Jess, sorry to hear your head is aching. I do feel your pain, I used to suffer from those pesky migrains too. I guess I grew out of them when I turned 50.. go figure.. maybe hormonal? Now I just get too hot! I call those power surges.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh,
try to get to a doctor if you can
Make sure it isn't your blood pressure
I was getting these awful burning , painful headaches for days.
They kept saying my blood pressure was okay
Well, it kept going on
Until my blood pressure was really high
I take 40 mg of blood presure medicne
I still get the some headaches; but nothing like I did.
I hope they ease up and you can find something that works for you.
Hugs Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile
sheila,
i do know that i have high blood pressure. usually it will give me signs first though. do migraines come from high bp even if there arent normal bp signs? ie:hot flashes
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  9:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,
So sorry to hear about your terrible headaches and I hope some of these remedies are working for you. Have you heard anything about the recent research into the connection of migraines and holes in the heart? I think about 5% of the population (I may be wrong on that) are left with small areas in their heart that are supposed to close after birth but don't close all the way. I have heard there is now a connection to migraines and this defect. Don't know what they are doing with this research but it may give those of us who suffer from migraines an answer as to one of the reasons why we get them and hopefully a remedy to end the suffering. Best Wishes to get you feeling better.

barnagainkristin

Edited by - barnagainkristin on Dec 31 2008 9:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Jessie ; how are you feeling today?
Are you any better.
Like one of the ladies said try the ice pack
that seems to help too.
I hope you soon find reslease from them. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jessie. I just saw this. I do hope you are feeling better today.

I wanted to tell you that if you eat cheese you need to stop. Because there is something in cheese, I can't remember the word, but it triggers migraines. So you may want to quit eating cheese for awhile and see if that helps.

Hard to have migrains with kids, isn't it? Hope you have someone close by to watch them for you til it's over.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  5:19:47 PM  Show Profile
hmm..I never knew that. I would never have thought cheese would be a culprit! wow! I have a little bit of a lactose problem but would never have paired the two. Thanks for sharing.:O) definitly feeling better today. I used iced packs, sleep, and some good caffeine. How one can sleep with a lot of caffeine, but it helped. The ice was like instant relief!
Thanks for all of your help! :O)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic my head is killing me.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page