misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Well, we have adopted another dog! The count now is FIVE...
Oh, they are a motley crew...my beautiful Great Pyr, my husband's Bassett Hound, a little
bichon/terrier? mix, a Collie/Great Pyr mix and now our latest arrival...A Great Pyr /St. Bernard mix. He's something else! He just ambles around, laid back as everything and is recovering from being semi starved and dumped. My cousin, a kindred spirit and a sweetheart, found him, rescued him and last month she called me up and asked if we could take him, and how could we refuse? His name is Pilgrim and he's fitting right in with the other critters.
They are all so comical running together...I've been shooting video and plan to post it so that all of you can take a peek and get a little chuckle! It certainly will bring a smile to see*
Hope your Christmas was Merry and the New Year bring much happiness!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/misstilliewillie

livin' the sweet life!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Dec 26 2008 3:08:49 PM

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  10:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh What a nice Christmas you gave to him and many more I am sure!!! Just wonderful!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  07:54:30 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you took him in. You sound like you'll take really good care of him.

There are so many G.P. around here that people don't take care of. I just saw one yesterday on the way home on the road. I know where he belongs, in the pasture with all these matted up sheep and goats. The dog looks awful and is all matted up, too.

I remember a few years ago some people moved in up the road from us. They had 2 G.P. dogs. They looked like they were never fed and they were so matted and gradually we could see their hair falling out and it looked like they had mange. It was so sad. I talked to the animal control officer who lives near us and he would go talk to them. They'd look a little better for awhile then back to the way they were. They finally disappeared. Don't know if they died or were taken away. But it's so sad to see those big beautiful dogs come to that end because of neglect. They need care just like any other dog and just because they are in the field gaurding other animals, they still need to be brushed and cared for.

So it's good to know this dog will have a goos home. You have your hands full. Lots of very big dogs you have.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  12:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I know!
At our landfill, there used to be a couple Great Pyr's, and they looked neglected, too. I adore this breed, so it really bothers me!
It seems like people are dumping their pets at an alarming rate...especially the larger breeds. My farm is starting to look like a rescue shelter!
Apparently, people are dumping their horses, too. My critters are a part of the family,
so it seems so hard to imagine leaving them out to fend for themselves. They all have their own little personalities and quirks...

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  2:33:21 PM  Show Profile
Glory, I did try a Great Pyr a few years ago. A guy in Chick. was wanting to get rid of his 3 year old male. I had been thinking about getting one and thought I'd get him since he was free. Well, this dog was HUGE! It took 3 of us to get him in my Trooper. I was pooped. So I got him home and let him out. I shut all the gates and there he went. At the time I had lots of free-range chickens, 2 pigs in the front garden, cats everywhere, my 2 old Rat Terr. It was like all hell broke loose when that dog got out of the car. He was all over the place. He had chickens flying everywhere, cats jumping up into trees all over, pigs running the fence line after him and he after them. The 2 rats where going crazy. It was awful. I think I cried for a few hours trying to get him back into the Tropper to take him back. I was screaming at him, saying things I shouldn't. It was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. I called the guy and said if I ever get that dog back in my car, I was on the way to bring him back. He couldn't understand why, but decided after hearing my voice it'd be a good idea. So I finally had to call my friend up the road to help me. And she's just a little bitty thing, too. But after an hour or so we finally got that dog back in the car and off I went to take him back. And of course it was in Aug. one of the hottest days of the year. We're both soaked with sweat.

It took several days to get all the animals calmed down after that fiasco. I told my husband all about it and said if I even think about doing anything like that again to hit me. I know I should have started with a puppy, not a 3 year old. Those dogs are so big and heavy. So I know you are an angel for taking in those dogs. How do you handle them?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 27 2008 2:35:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  6:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, my two GP's I raised from pups...I was firm with from the get go. But you know what the real secret to a GP is...it's kinda like with men...you just have to let them have their freedom and then they realize they don't want to be free after all*
The more you try to contain, restrain, fence in...the more they want to break out and run loose...but the second you let them go explore...the thrill is gone! And they just hang around the house. Devoted. Dedicated. Lovable.
At least this has been my experience!

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Here's a photo of Pilgrim and Emmie Girl...He's putting on weight and looking way better!
And he seems very happy to be here, and we're happy to have him* What a nice addition to the group...
I'll be posting video later on photobucket to view and to giggle over the diverse breeds romping around the farm together!

livin' the sweet life!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Aug 01 2009 2:20:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  8:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Can't post a video to photobucket, I see...so I'll try again!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Dec 30 2008 8:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  8:23:18 PM  Show Profile
the movie is ready for viewing...I'll send a link. Couldn't photobucket it to MJ's...

livin' the sweet life!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Jan 14 2009 7:49:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  06:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Poop! I'll have to watch it at home--I need to download Quicktime 7.2 to my computer at work, and I don't like to do that without admin knowing....

Truly a lovely dog, though--and so good of you to take him. I'm so happy, too, that he's fallen in love with your clan. It's such a satisfying thing to see them truly live, and find love within their species and ours.

You sound like us! We have 4, all rescue/shelter dogs from when I worked at a rural shelter--all dogs, save Finn, were near death and were slated for euthanasia. That's part of shelter life, but my husband just couldn't deal with it, so enter our motley brood (115 lb. German Shepherd, Border Collie/Lab mix, Pit Bull/English Setter mix, and little "Kentucky Field Beagle". We also have 3 kitties, who live very happily with the dogs in our little cottage.

I agree with you--pets are family. We manage to feed 4 adult large dogs with a 45 lb. bag of premium food, and treats, and 3 adult cats with 20 lb. bag of premium food for under $40.00 ever two weeks. I know that sounds like a lot, but it isn't to us--not with the joy they bring into our lives!
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  07:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Finn is such a great name!
I've always been such an animal lover...so we're always overrun with critters. I adopted a pot bellied pig for just that reason...the people that had her didn't want her when she got big and "fat"...and I adored that little piglet! She was great for the garden...she would till the earth and then fertilize it at the same time. She was great! She was 14 years old when she died on December 12...
We're thinking about getting another (adopted, unwanted one) to live here on the farm. They are such characters! I miss her antics...

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Great video, Glory. They all look very happy and that bassett's eyes are just so endearing. Aren't GP's sheep dogs? Your white one looks just like the sheep that barked at me once when I approached a herd.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  11:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Congratualations on your new dog!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!
He's absolutely wonderful, and I'm so happy to have him here. But not as happy as Pilgrim,
he has fallen head over heels in love with Emmie girl!
They are like a puppy version of "Love Story"...
I've never seen anything quite like it!
He follows her around like she has him on a rope....

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  09:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Glory,
What a great story. Would love to see your "muttley crew"! What fun you all must be having.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
How clever...muttley crew! I love that~

We are having such a large time, and I am crazy about each of the little knuckleheads...

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  07:01:46 AM  Show Profile

We've adopted another dog. A puppy named Gabrielle. She's Emmie's cousin, I guess? Same parents. Later litter. Would that make them cousins? Anyway...
She's adorable.

The count is now SIX. Where will it end? Nobody knows!

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  04:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Glory, I also have a GP and a Bernese Mt Dog. I love big dogs. I have a 5lb Yorkie also. I love the yorkie, but I adore my big dogs.
I do see alot of GP that are unwanted. I really don't understand. They are wonderful dogs, but I feel you really need to raise them as pups if you want them to get along with your farm animals

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Adopted Another Dog! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page