Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Is anyone else felling the stress??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Is anyone else felling the stress?? Next Topic  

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I definitely am at this point. Work has been slow (and I have 2 jobs!) Hubby's work didn't do any bonuses this year and the bills come even in December. So, I am feeling a little stressed out right now. I don't want my kids to see me stressed so I am playing it cool.

Anyone else feeling stressed? How do you all cope with it?

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Yep feeling it here too. Nothing you can do to change any of it though. Just grin and bear it ; ) Hang in there Tammy!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile
I understand completely.....my hubby didn't get his (usual big) bonus this year either...........among other assorted money issues.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  2:15:15 PM  Show Profile
It seems I feel the stress all too often (single mom of three) I have a book I carry with me all the time Prayers for Every Need- A Guidposts Book- it has helped me thru some really struggling times. I'm trying hard to remember to be thankful- because in all honesty I have much to be thankful for!!

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yup, I think it's everywhere. DH got a smaller bonus, then the government took half of it. *Sigh*

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

MuslinBunnies
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Tina
Franklin NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Definitely feeling the stress.

My fiance was out of work from beginning of September to December 1st (After working for only 6 months after his contract ended last December). He finally found work and started December 1st. He doesn't get his first paycheck until after Christmas.

To top it off, we were in a car accident on Saturday because of the snow. That more than likely totaled his car, we just found out that my car needs an alternator, and the car we borrowed from his dad is now not working either. Rob has not been able to get to work since last week and still has no car to go tomorrow.

It's been a really fun holiday season for us so far. LOL

Tina A.

My Website: http://muslinbunnies.tripod.com/
My Button Quail Site: http://groups.google.com/group/button-quail-planet
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  3:24:52 PM  Show Profile
We are not having christmas this year. well, at least we're not doing the big gift deal. We're getting our dog something. Our parents aren't even getting gifts from us. Christmas day we're going to see a movie. DH has had an hourly job, but it aparently came to an endlast thursday and he didn't even know it until the guy got back from vacation, and basically said he didn't need him anymore.SO he's back to trying to drum up work...
My store is also not doing well :(
I felt bad that my dad asked what I wanted for christmas, and I told him we wern't doing the gift thing this year because we didn't have the money...
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean too. My work place has been slow too. They have been slowly laying off people in our department. But they can't lay all of us off completely. Someone has to answer the phones!
I just keep trying to be positive, and give my fretting and worries to God to worry about. I know He'll provide one way or another.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile
My husband drives a truck. He's probably driven a total of 1000 miles in 2 weeks. Not a good thing when you get paid by the mile. Plus he sat in Atlanta at the terminal for 4 days last week. They finally let him come home Sat. morning til Sunday morning when he had to go up to Ohio. So this week and next week he'll make enuf to pay all the insc. and taxes so maybe we won't owe them. I don't like those check stubs with a zero in the amount. But it does happen.

I will be working for my friend a few more weeks. That helps. But when I'm done there, it will hurt. We'll have to start cutting back on several things.

I did go to Aldi's yesterday and they had my toilet paper! So I bought 5 big roll packs. We will not run out of tp for a long time!

I am so thankful I have a credit on our electric bill for this next month. That sure will help. And I did do all our Christmas shopping earlier, so that's all set. But NOTHING is wrapped, I don't even have a tree up, the house is still a wreck and I am a little depressed about all this, too. I am just going to lay it all out on my bed on Christmas day and hand it all out unwrapped.

I sure hope you all have a wonderful holiday. Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 22 2008 6:39:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I'm feeling the stress too. I have two jobs as well and my full time job is on a two week shut down (with no pay). I didn't see that coming. We just paid our property taxes for our home at the end of November and money is tight right now. I'm trying not to stress over it as I'm not in the best of health right now. But I can't help it, I am a worrier from way back. I'm hoping that 2009 is a much better year than 2008 for us all.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Lainey on Dec 22 2008 7:01:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:59:13 PM  Show Profile
I know all too well what you all mean about holiday stresses. :O) Hubby is still trying to find work.
Isn't it nice to know though, that God has it ALL under control. Finances have been my thorn for a good year or more now, but I am finding that as soon as I give it over to God, it is like a weight lifted and I can be joyful again. It is really hard sometimes to take my hands off, and more often than not, Im like a little kid with a toy that says "ok, you take care of this" and then turns around and says "well, maybe i better hold onto it again just for a little while."
I keep trying to remind myself that Christmas isnt about the presents, but about being thankful for the gifts we have gotten throughout the year. Things like food on our tables, children who stay as heathly as normal children do, and God watching out for us when things are looking awfully bleak.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you have a beautiful Christmas and are truly blessed as you celebrate the birth of Christ and the best gift God could give us; His Son!
Merry Christmas!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate what you say, Jessie...surely hope I can just give it over..

We're feeling it too, Tammy--
Don't know if I'll get a bonus--hope so--if I do, it goes on the "pre-paid" delivery bill for our baby girl, who will be born in February. Have to have her paid off before she gets here! I've already paid $1,000, but have to come up with $1700 more. I'm pretty sure my bonus won't cover all of it..if I don't get a bonus, then my dear mil has offered the money--she can't believe how terrible my insurance is, but then, I can't either. Two years ago, I wouldn't have a thing to worry about, but they changed our plan--and, two years ago, I wasn't ready to be a mother.

Then, there's the $2400 hospital bill from when I fell off a friends porch a month or so ago--they'll just have to wait, and get it $10.00 at a time if need be.

Then there's just life, you know? Duke Energy has decided on a 200% increase instead of 300% (thanks!) and so, our bill in January will jump from $200 to $500...they'll just have to wait, too.

Our insurance has a $4,000.00 deductible, so all of the money that I wanted to save for maternity leave has gone out in doctor's bills...so my maternity leave will only be a month, and that's because I'll skimp on paying some bills to make sure I can afford that extra two weeks. That's not what I had envisioned, but geez, what are you going to do? We didn't do much for Christmas, at all...

I am hoping 2009 will be better for all of us, Farmgirls...the birth of our daughter should be a bright ray of sunshine in the winter. Sure hope I can not lose my head over all the "shoulds" with bills. I'm only human, and remember, you are all the same. We can only do what we can.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is feeling the stress of uncertain times, economic problems, job losses and more. I finally had to quit watching the news and reading the paper because of all the bad news. There is nothing that I can do to change how things are except to continue plugging away every day and thanking God for the provisions that He has given to me and my family. Christmas this year will be a focus on family and a homemade Christmas. The kids will be getting one gift each. Everyone seems to be okay with that. It truly has been nice to step away from all the shopping - we've sure saved money too!

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
We all have our share of stress don't we? I'm so sorry that you all are feeling the stress too. I wish there were something I could do to make all of our stress disappear. We are scattered all over, but we all feel the stress of the holidays. I always say to myself that I now know what my parents must have felt like when my sisters and I were little.
I will say a pray for all of my Farmgirl friends and hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas. I am keeping the Faith and hoping that all will work out alright.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm ok for money (next year will be much worse) but I'm running out of time! Our stray kitten rescue last weekend put us way behind in straightening up the house. I've got a lot of cleaning to do today and tomorrow before the big family Christmas Eve party at my house. And the tree to put up. And food for the party to buy. Oh, and some last minute shopping for my husband's presents. I've only got 1 thing for him, and I want to pick up a couple of little things to make it seem like more.
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tammy,

I don't have much money either as you know. But, I decided about a month ago that I wasn't going to let that ruin my Christmas. All the stores and businesses have really commericialized Christmas and I am just buying only things I can afford this year. I've searched for bargains, used coupons, shopped at the Dollar Stores, won things on ebay cheap, and am concentrating on spending time with my family and my friends and going to Christmas service at my church. I saved up change in my piggy bank to buy my Christmas tree this year.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  5:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Stress....hehehe - My husband got caught in Sept drinking and driving with open containers, lost his license for three months, got caught 5 days later driving (no alcohol) on revoked list and lost his license for another year. Higher insurance, surcharges, he has to pay someone to take him to work, pay her gas - my house is all electric and on budget plan is $563 a month - I have 12 dogs that I raise, many too old to have puppies now so they are my pets - food costs a fortune but the dogs stay - I work from home as a writer due to fibromyalgia, hubby works for board of education and does Sundays covering church services at his job. Car repairs, and other costs, groceries etc. Stress???? What is that?
Smile and take each day for what it is worth - count your blessings no matter how small and trivial they may seem, there are others in many worse circumstances. Blessed be,
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  10:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Stress comes in many different forms! I couldn't wait for December to end. I have been going since Thanksgiving. Let see.. Family at my house Thanksgiving. Working full time. First weekend in Dec. my grandmother died. Second weekend in Dec. Family here for her funeral. Third week in Dec. my DH thinks it would be great to have an open house at our house, and i agreed! Fourth week in Dec. Christmas Eve, at our house with hubby's family. Christmas morning, fixed breakfast for hubby's family that stayed with us. Took rolls into parents house for Christmas morning with my family. Had Christmas dinner with my family in town. Christmas is over and I feel like I totally missed it! Hope January is much better, I'm ready for a break!!

Blessings to you all!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Is anyone else felling the stress?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page