rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Are there farmgirls out there who order wholesale through one person to take advantage of wholesale prices?

I love Moda stuff but can almost never find it here, plus what I want isn't available, blah, blah, but I can order wholesale using a resale number and a credit card. Minimum order is $250. But I don't want $250 worth of stuff by myself.

It's just an example but if other folks wanted to order things from a particular company, we could get together and do it. I often used products I could buy for display or accent items even if they weren't for sale in my store. But again, I don't use $250 of them from one place...

Anyone else doing this or interested?

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Not with clothes, but maybe something else... what's your store? is it for the etsy store?

Edited by - MsCwick on Dec 22 2008 09:21:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Are you talking about Moda fabric? I would love that!
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I love fabric, what Moda?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Am I in lala land or what? I thought Moda(victorias secret clothing :(
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey Allison, with your minimum order of $250...don't you have to buy full bolts of fabric?? I know some bolts have as little as 15 yards while others have 30 or more. Email me so we can discuss this further.

Hugs,

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Rug Hooking, Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~My Website Catalog... More coming one day!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile
I just realized that I am a stashaholic.....sadly I can not participate......<sniff>
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Moda was just one of the ideas. There are tons of amazing wholesalers out there and anyone with a resale license/ business license can order but most minimums are more than one person would want to spend.

Moda Home was what I was looking at, although I'd love to look through their fabrics as well.

Allison

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love a certain Moda fabric- It's got butterflies and kind of a celtic design... But I sadly am on a spending "hold" right now. A good idea though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  08:34:59 AM  Show Profile
I could come up with a short list of some wholesalers. You're all more than welcome to take a gander and let me know if you're interested in buying a case of this or that. It may even be things like the Vermont Soap Co. which has the all purpose cleaner?? I will come up with a list here shortly, and post it with websites and minimums. My store is so small that even if I had 3 or 4 of somethign would be all I'd need. And I have all the licenses and TAX id numbers to obtain anything ya'll want! :)
YAY, this was a good idea allison!
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile
If people participate in this wholesale buying, won't you spend alot of time and money shipping out the orders all over the country? Just a thought. I'll be curious how you do this as I have a wholesale account to Frontier Natural Foods in Norway Iowa where I buy 1# packages of my favorite herbs and spices and cooking ingredients. I get free shipping for orders over $250.00.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  2:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Good point on the shipping out to others...but if I can get things at 50% off retail and no tax, then the shipping probably only replaces the tax amount somehow. It still could be quite a deal.

If people are interested in listing who they'd like to order from if there was a group order, maybe we'll find some matches.

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile
I was looking into cloth diapers today. I would love to stock Swaddlebees, but not with a $2000 minimum order! He's going to work up a smaller initial starting package, so maybe that would be of interest to someone?
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  4:34:01 PM  Show Profile
There is a fabric co-op yahoo group..they seem to make it work to everyones advantage..I think the plus side to this is getting the designer fabrics that you never see in the stores...I would be interested in bolts.

I still need someone to answer my question about how many yards are on the bolts????? If I knew this answer then I can get serious about finding the designs I would like...I don't have to have a bolt so if someone wants to split a bolt with me that would be fine too.

Anxious to hear from ya...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Rug Hooking, Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~My Website Catalog... More coming one day!!!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Allison,
This is a great thread. I think banning together to make purchases is a great idea.

Stephanie,
I think the amount of yards on a bolt depends on the kind of fabric. Most bolts hold 15 yds.
Do you know the name of the yahoo coop fabric group?

Cristine,
I would love a list. I also have a resale license in WA and would love to do more of this.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  06:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Have you thought about selling the fabric on ebay or etsy? I LOVE buying SETS of coordinating fabrics. Usually, there are about 10 different fabrics in either fat quarters or half yard pieces, and these are sold in sets. Lots of quilters buy this way ---- saves having to pick and choose at the store as they are all coordinated with matching colors, etc. I've bought tons of these sets. Great for aprons, crafting, quilts, etc. Just an idea if you had to buy about 10 bolts to meet the minimum.

Great idea!
Cora

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  08:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristine, if we do this, we have to be very careful because some wholesalers have regulations about "undercutting prices" so I dont think they want you to sell it for less than their lowest SRP. Make sense?
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I would be interested in sharing bolts of homespun. I work at a quilt shop and most of our bolts come in 14 yard sizes. But that's for 100% cotton. The woman who owns the shop won't order any homespuns. Says, "I can't buy it all"....
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  11:01:01 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, would she be willing to buy you a bolt at cost? You could just pay here for the whole thing plus a bit for shipping and it wouldn't be a cot to her. I don't know if you wanted a whole bolt of homespun, but when I was a a buyer, I used to get extra stuff when requested by staff and they'd just pay like cost plus 5% ( a common employee discount anyway).

Well, everyone, i"m off to retreat for a month, but then I'll be back on and can get together on some things. Have a great holiday season!

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Since she doesn't carry homespun, I'd have to ask about markup and then look at a catalog that she usually orders from and see what there is to offer.....contact me when you get back from your retreat...you lucky dog......

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  12:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cristine: count me in! I have a re-sale license in Ohio and I'd be interested in a minimum of some things for the farm market. right now I'm trying to figure out a way to get the stuff I want from Colonial Tin Works!www.colonialtinworks.com

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  11:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Would this still be as appealing if it were wholesale plus 5%? if something cost me $10 it would cost you 10.50 plus a few dollars for shipping.

I was looking at gladrags, the diva cup, and some cloth diapers. then it will the the eco candle company.

Also, we will have to know for sure who will purchase before we place the order so that we don't get stuck with things we don't really want. I think this is a great way to get things on the shelf of a store without having to meet the huge minimums! and to avoid haveing hundreds of dollars of merchandise just setting on the shelf.

Edited by - MsCwick on Dec 31 2008 11:58:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  12:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Cristine,
I didn't know you could get diva cup wholesale. I've been tried for my website a couple years ago. That's great.
Wholesale plus 5% is wonderful.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, what I'm going to do is start a list(on paper) and keep track of who was interested in what. then when I get pricing, i'll contact everyone and make sure it sounds dooooable(sp ;) and when it comes time to order, I will recontact everyone and let them know that the order will be in soon and make sure they are still interested.

I'm waiting on prices for the cloth diapers and gladrags, but I will look through my books and see if theres anything else that the farmgirls would be interested in that I could carry in the store.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  08:55:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Christine...did ya ever get a list together? I still haven't found out about the fabric. I got laid off from the Quilt shop for a while and haven't been able to talk to the owner. Economy isn't helping her. I'm trying to see if I can order some of Mary Jane's fabric from her also.
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Let me be included...please, please oh pretty please!
I found a site for diaper fabric and the waterproof stuff(washable feminine products?, also?) and it is real cheap, co-op, the only problem is you order and wait for it to come in....maybe this way we would not have to wait for so ,long....Keep me updated....
Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Group wholesale buying? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page