Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 wanting to learn basket making
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic wanting to learn basket making Next Topic  

crazyapple
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Cyndi
Gladstone Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  01:02:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm very interested in learning to make baskets. I have no idea where to start. Learning from books is okay, videos/DVD's better, classes (my favorite)-- if anybody has a resource that don't mind sharing I would be so happy.

I'm a complete novice to this craft but I also pick things up fast and seem to be pretty skilled at handwork crafts. I'm not even sure where I would get the base materials, so anyone with skills or advice chime in.

I'm wanting to make market style baskets, square or round.

Thanks

Crazyapple

"It's Never Too Late To Be Who You Might Have Been" G. Eliot

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  6:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I can do pine needle baskets. I have some supplies to learn to make baskets in the craft room. I would love to know your sources if you get some.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Cyndi, I took a one day basket course and I tell you, I thought it was hard. I don't think I could have done it with a book, or a DVD. The instructor being there got me through. I made that one basket and that was it for my basket making career. But, I'm not crafty in the least. Since you are, you'd probably learn it quickly. Others in the class did very well. There was a basket makers catalog that I don't recall the name of anymore. I was on the mailing list forever and then they gave up on me, I suppose. Let me google it and see if I can find it. It sold starter kits and books. Everything you could possibly need.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  12:53:16 PM  Show Profile
This is something that I have been wanting to learn for sooo long. Any help sent our way would be so appreciated.
Thanks!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  3:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Cyndi, Check out videos on YouTube for basket weaving! I looked and they have some on there!

Monica

farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crazyapple
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Cyndi
Gladstone Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  6:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Yea, other baskety girls.

Angie, I've never heard of pine needle baskets, I'm going to look that up because I have 3 neighbors whose pine trees bless me every winter and fall with tons of pine needles. It would be nice to use them for something more than acidifying my soil.

Marcy, I'll share whatever I learn about.

Monica, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to try YouTube. I'll check that out tonight and try not to get sidetracked.

Thank you, farmgirl friends make me feel so connected :)

"It's Never Too Late To Be Who You Might Have Been" G. Eliot
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  11:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Basketmaking is a craft I have always wanted to try also. I have "planned" on learning for at least 25 years. I really should get on that! I LOVE baskets and making my own would be so special! (to me anyhow!) I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic wanting to learn basket making Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page