Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Oxford removing nature words from dictionary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oxford removing nature words from dictionary Next Topic  

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile
This just makes me crazy! Removing beaver & dandelion from a childrens dictionary and replacing with blog, mp3 and broadband. Is this the future? Many other words have been removed - read here:

http://www.childrenandnature.org/news/detail/removal_of_nature_words_from_dictionary_causes_uproar

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
GREAT!!! I guess the next thing we should teach is extinction!!! : (

How sad.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Yes I heard that on our local radio the other day. I think it's a sad day indeed when nature words are removed. How many city born kids know anything about the natural world any more.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  2:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Really? I don't know too many children who write a blog with their mp3 player plugged in their ears, all the while contemplating the merits of broadband.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  8:40:44 PM  Show Profile
What? This makes me sad. I will learn more. Has anyone heard of the book titled "Last Child in the Woods"? I hope to read it soon. The author writes about nature-deficit disorder.

barnagainkristin

John Muir said it all...

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  05:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Excellent book! I highly recommend it!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  09:20:03 AM  Show Profile
I will have to check for that book. It is so sad to hear that these words will be taken out to be replaced by words that children do not need in the dictionary.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  09:55:01 AM  Show Profile

My lawn is definitely not full of MP3s!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Hehe, neither is my "lawn"! Last Child in the Woods is an excellent book! The author coins the phrase "nature deficit disorder" for what many children suffer from in living today's lifestyle. My husband teaches at a 6th grade outdoor school camp and sees this sort of thing all the time. He'll be especially sad to hear about the dropping of nature words.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Is this dictionary somehow forced to a certain number of words? Why not just add the new ones and leave the old? If they remove the word blackberry, as is listed in the article, they are omitting one of today's techy words! I guess it will just have a different definition.....

Also being deleted are Christian words. In the course of fairness, I wonder if they are omitting Islamic or Jewish terms or perhaps the word atheist? Their reasoning was that children did not attend church as much anymore.....I would imagine that stands true for all beliefs, not just Christian.

so sad!

farmgirl #31

Psalm 51

Edited by - jpbluesky on Dec 21 2008 10:49:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, how about the fact that access and impact are not verbs, yet since the advent of computing we talk about how things impact one another and what we are trying to access with our web searches. Neither was correct - until now. Impact and access are now listed as verbs in the dictionary.

Language is a living, changing thing, but I don't see the reason t take words out that we are using. Adding new usages is annoying enough...

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  7:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm bowing my head in sadness to think a time has come for children to suffer from nature-deficit disorder...but come to think about it, I took my 4 year old grandson outside on Christmas night to show him the "Christmas star". First he was afraid of the dark and then he said "cool" and hurried back to his playstation....sigh....it's true.

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  3:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Just checked out Last Child in the Woods from the library and plan to start reading it tomorrow. I'm so happy to see there are other people who love nature and are concerned about our children.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I feel so sad for children these days. They have no idea how to go outside and just play. If it doesn't have an "on" button, they don't know what to do with it. Do they still make daisy chains, sail leaf boats down the creek, make wonderful forts out of cardboard boxes? Thankfully some still do and aren't glued to the latest technology. Technology has it's place, but it can't outdo nature!! Thank goodness there are farmgirls out there to keep it real.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  6:54:56 PM  Show Profile
I also say that Moms & Dads still have the ability to turn the damn electronics off!!!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  5:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh, am I loving "The Last Child in the Woods". If anyone out there hasn't read it yet I would highly recommend reading it. This book seems to be just what we are all talking about. I guess farmgirls may not be the ones who need it most but maybe it will encourage us to help children who haven't had the opportunity to be outdoors as much as our children have.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile
It doesn't have to be this way - we have 3 boys, youngest is 14. We sail, camp, kayak, canoe, travel, horseback ride, walk, scooter, bike ride, read, eat together, homeschool, star-gaze, have a spiritual life together. Just do it. They also have electronics, video games, etc. It can all work together.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  6:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, the sad, sad truth is that nowadays, TECHNOLOGY-- namely vidoe game players, computers and tv have became the babysitter of choice for parents nationwide. My 6yr old nephew never even comes out of his room when we come to visit-- instead he's spending time with his best friend and sitter-- the X-BOX!! His 3yr old sister is usually glued to the TV. My sister seems to like it that way because then they're not "bugging" HER!

When I was a kid, all we DID was play outside! We walked everywhere we wanted to go, or rode our bikes. We went to the creek and swam, we walked to the movies or the store (to buy CANDY of course, but HEY! At least we WALKED to the store to get it!!) Rarely did you ever hear any of US say "I'm BORED!!" there was ALWAYS something to do. I think kids nowadays lack imagination, and parents certainly don't encourage them much to HAVE one.

I'm SOOO GLAD that we have been fortunate enough to raise our three boys in the Country. There is always something for them to do here. We live on a 20+ acre farm with lots of wide open spaces around us and plenty of critters (and CARS!!) to keep them busy. Our oldest boy could not be KEPT in the house! He preferred (and still does) to be outside. Our other two boys also spend a lot of time outdoors. Middle son likes to tinker with his car and truck and ride the horses. Our youngest is usually running around throwing the football to himself, or hitting balls with a baseball bat, or practicing lay-ups in the barn. In the Spring and Summer months all three are busy loading and stacking hay. They eat good, play hard and know that money doesn't grow on trees!! If they want something, they have to EARN it!! Seems a lot of parents these days just don't want to be "Bothered" by their children, and they certainly aren't preparing them to be productive citizens in the future. Oh Heaven HELP us!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oxford removing nature words from dictionary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page