Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning salsa made with canned tomatoes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning salsa made with canned tomatoes Next Topic  

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  11:36:43 AM  Show Profile
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for instructions on how to make salsa with canned tomatoes, then canning the finished product. All the recipes for canning seem to use fresh tomatoes, and all the recipes calling for canned tomatoes don't talk about canning! I'm thinking there should be some sort of adjustment to the recipe since the canned tomatoes are already cooked. My big concern is adding enough acid.

Does anyone make and can salsa this way?

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  06:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Never have. But I don't see why you couldn't. You could add a bit of lemon or lime juice to your salsa to increase the acid content.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Maria
I have canned salsa using the canned rotele tomatoes with the hot peppers. I usually add some garlic, onion and whatever spices I want. It works fine. I just water bath can them. Tomatoes are naturally acidic, so you should be fine, but if you are concerned, you could add about 1 t citric acid per quart.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning salsa made with canned tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page