Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tasha Tudor fans??? Next Topic
Page: of 2

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  11:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Hello,

Are there any Farmgirls here, besides myself who are Tasha Tudor fans?

If you are, what was your favorite thing about this wonderful artist?

I loved Tasha's wonderful watercolor paintings and drawings. I love all of her books.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/

IdlewildFarmMom
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Missy
Centre AL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  05:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Tasha fan here also!!! I admired her whole style of living, right down to the Corgi dogs (my boy's name is Brodie).
I know painting like hers is well beyond anything I could do...I always love finding the little surprises tucked in the edgings!!
Her gardens always inspire me. Do you have the cookbook? I'm trying a second attempt at her taffy..the last was yummy, but never 'stiffened' up like it should have.

Idlewild Farm Mom
~~Missy in AL~~
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  05:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes Belle, I grew up being read tasha's books. I posted several times in other posts my fav but ill say it here:) The book I forget the title but that has holidays and birthday celebrations. LOVE IT<B I think she set a wonderful example and I still love Corgiville Fair:) I was so sad when she passed away.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Bridget-- was the book you're thinking of called "Take Joy?" I saw that one at the library recently (in the juvinile section) and it was all about celebrations.

I'm a HUGE Tasha fan too! I have all of the books about HER personally-- "The Private World Of Tasha Tudor," "Tasha Tudor's Garden," "Tasha Tudor's Dollhouse" and "Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts"-- though I was a bit disappointed that the crafts book wasn't a little more detailed on HOW to do her crafts. It more or less just spoke of the things Tasha did, not HOW she did them, but it is a very nice book all the same. Gives a lot of ideas and insperation to those who are imaginative and like to come up with their OWN way of doing things!

I plan on ordering some of her Garden seeds this year. They are offered on her Website. There's not a lot of them, but I would like to have a few of the flowers that she loved so well here on my OWN farm. Maybe they will inspire me to FINALLY get all that wool I have carded and spun, maybe make some candles, soap etc.....!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  08:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
What I think is so neat about her is she decided what kind of life she wanted to live and she did it, right down to building a house from another era. She is facinating I think. Have you read about when she made linen, from planting the flax, right up to weaving the linen fabric. Too cool.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile
ehehehe! I am sitting here laughing to myself as I realize what I was expecting when I read this post..lol

I had heard of Tasha Tudor before, but never really anything more than in passing. Oh my goodness, but I thought you were talking about real fans--like the kind that sit on your desk. I thought Tudor was a style and Tasha maybe the designer..Woohoo for blonde moments!
haha!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I love her too! I love that she kept dairy goats and milked when she was old!

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile
I have most of her books. There is a nice web site. Just GOOGLE TASHA TUDOR.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile
I also love Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. My favorite book is "A Time to Keep". My favorite picture is the birthday cake coming down the river. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to live that lifestyle! I recently took out a book from the library called something like The Art of Tasha Tudor; I don't know if that's right though. It gave some honest insight into the woman she was...not really what I expected.
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile
I love Tasha Tudor's work, too. I had "The Doll's Christmas" when I was a little girl, and I loved looking at it. I always wished I had a dollhouse like that! A couple of years ago, I saw on her website that you could order autographed books from her, so I asked my husband for one for Christmas. Well, he didn't get it, so I got one for myself! I have tons of Christmas books, but this one sits in a place of honor so everyone can look at it. :-)

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  8:30:24 PM  Show Profile
I have admired Tasha Tudor and seen a few articles about her but would love to learn more. Where do you all suggest I start?

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  05:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Like I said in the above post. Just go on google and type in her name and lots of info comes up.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  07:17:05 AM  Show Profile
now i am gonna have to google her cause i had never heard of her before and you gals have me curious

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  10:03:11 AM  Show Profile

Tasha had a home in southern Vermont. She lived her life in a way that might be described as the ultimate farm girl. Every year until the past few years there were tours of her gardens. Unfortunately, I missed going to it. She also was a collector of antique clothing and there recently was a big auction of her one of a kind collection.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile
I am a big fan of Tasha! She was such an amazing, brave woman. She wore her historical clothes every day, her house was like a lived-in museum- she seemed so spritly and vivid even into her 90's! I really like her book "The Private World of Tasha Tudor." She's right up there on my role model list with Mary Jane :)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  1:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Victoria-- Tasha had lots of antique clothing that she collected-- Yes, but there were also dresses she sewed for herself.

I don't think there was ever a "craft" invented that she hadn't mastered in her 90+yrs!!! What an amazing woman she was! Could you IMAGINE growing up as one of her children or grandchildren? How wonderful must THAT have been?!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I love Tasha Tudor! Her books and illustrations are great. Victoria magazine did a nice tribute to her after her passing last June.

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  6:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by LauraH

Yes, I love Tasha Tudor! Her books and illustrations are great. Victoria magazine did a nice tribute to her after her passing last June.

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com

Hi,

Do you knwo which issue of Victorie magazine it was that there was a tribute to her? I would liek to get that issue.

Belle

Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by CRshelpmeet

ehehehe! I am sitting here laughing to myself as I realize what I was expecting when I read this post..lol

I had heard of Tasha Tudor before, but never really anything more than in passing. Oh my goodness, but I thought you were talking about real fans--like the kind that sit on your desk. I thought Tudor was a style and Tasha maybe the designer..Woohoo for blonde moments!
haha!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

Ha Ha, Lol, that is so funny!

Belle

Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  6:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by jennym

I love Tasha Tudor's work, too. I had "The Doll's Christmas" when I was a little girl, and I loved looking at it. I always wished I had a dollhouse like that! A couple of years ago, I saw on her website that you could order autographed books from her, so I asked my husband for one for Christmas. Well, he didn't get it, so I got one for myself! I have tons of Christmas books, but this one sits in a place of honor so everyone can look at it. :-)

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

I wish I had a dollhouse like hers also. I have seen kits to make doll houses at Hobby Lobby, but they were $200-$300. I think it would be so neat to have a doll house like hers for all the little children who come over to play.

Belle

Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  6:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Tasha loved her animals. I remember reading a newsletter sent out by the Tudor family's website, it was about a time when she went to the grocery store and she took a pet chicken in with inderneath her coat. When she got to the register, the chicken underneath her coat made a loud noise. The worker asked her if she had a chicken in her coat. She said, no, that is my hearing aid making that noise.
I though that was a funny story.

I love her artwork. I paint with watercolors and I hope, with practice, I might learn to paint paintings somewhat like Tasha's paintings. I ecspecially love her borders around all of her pictures.

Belle

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  9:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Watercolors are one of the hardest mediums to paint in Belle. I've tried my hand at all different kinds of art in my younger years (got pretty good a drawing with prisma colors-- birds were my specialty-- but I haven't picked up a pencil in years!) I found watercolors to be one of the HARDEST for me to do.

Keep on practicing! Someday soon we'll all be wanting YOUR paintings hanging on our walls right beside Tasha's!! ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile
I've always loved her work, and feel really lucky to have gotten my godson, Max, a copy of her illustrated "Childs Garden of Verses", signed by Tasha herself, for his christening.

Actually, over the weekend, I was in a rare book store down south and ran across 3 first editions that I'm thinking of purchasing after the baby is born (if they're still there). They are 1950's era, and the work is lovely. Each listed at $100-$150. I need them like I need a hole in the head, but can't stop thinking about them...that's usually a sign that I need them :)

I always admired the way she lived, and her love of animals. As a young girl, reading Victoria magazine, when they did stories on her, I ate up every detail, thinking that I would live just like her...well, I have the scores of animals, but I live in a little cottage. I do have garden beds and plant old flowers like hollyhocks in honor of her every spring :)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  06:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
That is so sweet, that you plant the hollyhocks in honor of her. Would you mind if I did the same? I never realized it until I saw another post here, Tasha Tudor is one of my heros also.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  07:30:43 AM  Show Profile
I ordered some perennial seeds from the Tasha Tudor website last spring. I should have flowers this year. If you want to get the exact same type of flowers from her garden, you can.

I love to look at her books, especially in the winter. Wouldn't it be nice to work from your home and not have to shovel out and drive in the snow every day?
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  07:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Really!? I would love that, did you just go to the Tasha Tudor web site to order or what?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tasha Tudor fans??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page