EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  2:44:06 PM  Show Profile
I am wanting to start giving classes on herbs and the like - so far I have come up with making Dream Pillows - any ideas would be appreciated and any advise on what to charge etc would also be appreciated.
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  3:12:35 PM  Show Profile
How about the dryer sachets to take the place of synthetic dryer sheets?

Do you currently make and sell any of these types of things? or do you grow things?
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  9:48:23 PM  Show Profile
How about making the rice or bean stuffed neck wraps with lavender or herbs added? I make them to give as gifts with a little removable cover. You just microwave them for a few min. and the rice or beans hold the heat well. Do you grow lavender?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:08:44 AM  Show Profile
You could also incorporate cooking into the class...when I lived in England, a friend of mine made lemon lavender shortbread, with real lavender. I don't find a great deal of cooking in this country with herbs, other than savory uses. You can do so much with rose hips, lavender, lemon verbena and the mint family. So much more than tea!

I'm trying to think of things that I have purchased over the years made from herbs, and things that would be easy for a general knowledge classroom: the sachets and things are good--what about making tinctures as well?

As far as charge goes, you'd want to charge for your time, but also materials--take into consideration how long each class will be? What is the class size? I think $25-$40 is a good price range, to include materials and perhaps for a 2 class session? You could also offer gift certificates for the classes. I'm basing that cost on what the extension service charges here, for their classes. Usually more than one session, with materials, runs about $40-$50.
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:21:52 AM  Show Profile
What about making a simple skin toner with ACV rose and rosemary?
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile
My husband got me the Herb Bible for last christmas, and it is jam packed full of useful info!
I would also recommend The Encyclopedia of Herbs (http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=2038271&matches=47&author=Austin%2C+Caroline&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title) It's an older book from the 70's and they have specific and much more interesting recipes, even something called an eye lotion!

You could have two classes: Herbs in the Kitchen and Herbs for Health.

Herbs in the Kitchen: Could involve cooking with and making herbal oils for cooking, which herbs to cook with specific meats, and some above mentioned recipes, making your own furniture polish? dryer sachets, neck wraps,

Herbs for Health: could involve ointments, balms, Infusions, facial steams, syrups, tinctures, bath soaks, bath vinegars etc.

You could have people sign up based upon which class they would like to take. Start taking names early, so that each class could be (x) amount of people so you make the $ you want to. Then you can schedule the two classes throughout the month depending on available materials, your time, etc. Also, you could either have them bring a certain list of materials( 8x8 square of cheesecloth for the bath soak, small bottle of olive oil for the cooking oils, maybe two half pint jars...you get the point?) or you could provide them with these things. This would give them the option if they have these things lying around to save the $10 bucks it would cost you. So I think you could do a two hour class for $45(without materials) or $55 with materials provided.

Make sure you thoroughly inquire about allergies and pregnancy. I would even have them sign a disclaimer just to cover your butt. (I had a customer 'touch' one of my herbal soaps and she SAYS it caused her to go into anaphylactic shock and she went to the ER) Even though it sounds crappy to have to do that, you would not want to be liable for any

Now that I've brainstormed here, it's such a good idea! I wonder if I could do this at my store next spring/summer?
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  6:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
I've taught quite a few herb classes in our area. Here's the ones that have been the best recieved:- Herbal Remedies for colds & flu (this did really well in the winter)
- Herb Gardening & Cooking (keep this to about 12 herbs with recipes & of course lots to taste)
- Making Herbal Skin & Beauty Care

I usually charge $35 per class, each about 2-3 hours with handouts, demostrations, hands-on & tastes &/or teas.
Good Luck!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile
The library will not let me teach 'medicinal' topics on herbs so I am thinking Dream Pillows or Growing an Herbal Tea Garden or Herbal Remedy Garden (without getting real ailment specific) - Herbs of the Bible is a good one too but then again where religion is involved you have to be careful too - Herbal Beauty Treatments might be a good one, what do you think?

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever heard of the Global College for Natural Medicine? http://www.gcnm.com/master-herbalist-program.html

I'm considering starting that in the spring!
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Ideas Wanted? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page