Page: of 3

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You would all have to come here.. I DON'T do well in cold...at all...in fact...I dislike it very much... : )

But all ya'll are invited here. I will have the Monopoly set up and the drinks ready to go. Just bring an apron and good laughter.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Guess I painted a rosey picture of what my life was like back in the '50's. I agree with the comments about how women were treated (my mother was a nurse) - she was abused by my father and he abused us four kids as well. My brothers got into trouble with the law, did poorely in school and I retreated into a shell which took me a long time to come out of. None of us spoke without being spoken to first by our father. Our life was far from June Cleaver or Ozzie and Harriet, but oh how I wished for that.

So with the good times comes the bad with every generation and we can only learn from the past to make the future better.

I've loved reading the reflections from all of you. It's been so enlightening.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I don't think their was a single one of us who didn't long for a life like Beaver's, or Ozzie and Harriet, and don't forget Father Knows Best! Unless of course you were lucky enough to already have a life like that. If so, God Bless you, it must of been glorious. I agree that you can take all you truly wish for and learn from the past and try and make the best life you can with that knowledge. I guess all the good stuff from every generation, they all have had something good that's for sure. I think the farm girls (especially with MaryJane's help) are really good at taking the best from everything.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  3:15:43 PM  Show Profile
You got that right, MJ!

Annie
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile
MJ: I guess that's why I like this forum so much..... really, its that whole lifestyle wrapped up - farmgirl kitsch - with good attitudes and generous behavior...... THIS is my Ozzie & Harriet!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile
This is such a wonderful thread. It's so much fun reading how everyone grew up where they lived as kids. I agree wholeheartedly about the kids these days compared to when we grew up. We were taught our manners (pleases and thank yous)and used them always. When I go into Target or Wallmart and see these kids being little brats and crying because they can't have something right now - it just gets me steaming. But their parents never taught them manners so the parents are paying the price for their bratty kids. I was a single mother, but always made sure my kids were polite to others (opening doors for others, etc.) and always said their pleases and thank yous. And with being a single mom, my kids knew we didn't have a lot of $$ to spend on things. When the kids got jobs to earn their own money, they were like Scrooges - saving their money for something they really wanted. They grew up knowing the value of $$. And they still have those values and manners they were taught. And now they're teaching their own kids those same manners and values.

I think all of us here with our farmgirl attitudes and way of lives are reliving the '50's way of life in a way. We know how to make due with what we have, grow and make what we can, value the simple things in our lives, believe in family first, etc. We're getting back to the simple way of life that we grew up with. How great is that. Maybe that's why I like sewing up aprons with a '50's design!!!!

Annie
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Yes we definitely incorporate all the good things into our lives and society. THANK GOD FOR FARMGIRLS :) :) xoxoxoox I wanna give you all a HUGE hug:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile

Farm girl types are definitely the best!!!! Give me a barn full of farmgirls anytime!!!!
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile
>> I wanted to pop into this thread for jus' a minute!! <<

I too, was born in the 50's, and have raised my sons to use the words Thank You, and Please..as adults they do this, and honest to goodness, more people tell me, You're son's are so polite.." like it's something Soo out of the ordinary!! What??!!! It's just how I was raised, and there were No Questions Asked!! -- You Did what you were told..and I raised my son's the same way. Yes, they have told me recently, "No, we knew not to get nasty with you..'cause we just didn't want to hear you lecture us..." But ya know what? That lecture has made them into the polite people they are today! No, not always, they can get snippy with others, but,hey, don't we all?

And too -- I've watched how children today has little to no respect for other children and adults. When we lived up in Norfolk, I worked in the Childrens Department at the city library...you'd think that the kids coming in to use the computer would be doing so to help with school work, right? Ha!! "Yo Miss!! I wanna use tha' 'puter to check out this music video!!" Say What??!! And I lost track after awhile, at the times I would try to correct some child acting horribly, and once that situation was over, I'd be the one to get yelled at by my superior!! Ack!! >> "Don't you be mean to those poor children! You just don't know what their home life is Like!!"

Sigh...so, realizing I was fighting an uphill battle, I left the library, and decided that it was far more than I could attempt to help along. There is a whole different attitude today with children and teenagers that is very frightening. There are far too many that have no care in how their beyhavior affects others, and trying to get parents truly involved, has at times, been a struggle. I volunteered with all 3 of my son's while they were in school , and to see how some parents could not care less about their childs behavior would literally make me come to tears. But I had to leave it all, and walk away -- I can't change the world by myself.

So it Is very good to see that there are others who feel like I do -- yes it Is ok to correct your children, and there are Behavior Standards to follow when out in public. I knew that the boys were not to misbehave at the store, in church, at the library. To see kids scream in a store makes my skin crawl. Even Tom mentioned this the other day >> "I just heard a mother telling her son she was gonna kill him and beat his $%$#^^..." Ack!!

So for all of you wonderful Farm Girls who Raise their kids with standards and values, my hat's off to you!! Keep up the good work!! It does pay off in the end!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile
I think about this all the time now that I have 4 granddaughters. I am already praying for their future husbands, that they will have good parents ( and grandparent, too) that are already teaching them good manners and to respect others and to have all the old fashioned values and principles that I love. It is so scary to think of all the boys out there now who aren't being taught to respect girls. But I am so glad to see the ones that are being taught this now. So I know there is hope for them.

My friend's DD has the BEST most polite boyfriend I have ever met. He is so great. I love him. He says yes maam and calls me Mrs. Sherrill. I don't really like that, makes me feel really OLD! But that's ok. I so wish my DDs could find a guy like him. His parent's have done a fantastic job raising him. My standards are kind of high now because of h

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fifties idealism? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page