Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Wedding, Six Teens & A Flood . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Wedding, Six Teens & A Flood . . . Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  08:39:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, this weekend was interesting to say the least! My nephew was getting married, so we had out of town company staying with us . . . my brother, his wife, and their three teens. Add that to our three teens and we had four adults and six teens all living under one roof. On Saturday morning, I had ran to the store to exchange a dress shirt I had bought for one of my sons for the wedding that was too small. There were some amazing sales that day and I was truly taken in by the whole "shopping experience." Then came the dreaded phone call. When I answered I began babbling to my husband about the great deals I was finding, when I was interrupted by his far too serious hiss of, "Don't buy a thing." He then quickly explained that our house was flooded and a plumber was on his way . . . remember this is the weekend, which means double time for plumbers!

I quickly returned to find all bathrooms were shut down, everything was flooded, we used up every clean and dirty towel we had to mop it up and then moved on to using dirty clothes in the hampers (I know, disgusting . . . but what else do you do?!) The kids were having to use the field as their "bathroom" and no one could get ready for the wedding. My brother drove my niece over to my mom's to get ready, as you can't tell a 16 year old girl she can't have time to primp! Lucky the other 5 teens are all boys! Anyway, the plumber finally arrives, and what we thought would be a simple "snake" job turns into hours. He removes one of the toilets to check something and promptly drops it in the bath tub . . . breaking the toilet and putting a large chip in the tub. We finally leave for the wedding . . . except for Ron (My husband) who has to stay behind with the plumber. If we would have sent him away and had him come back it would have been counted as a whole separate visit and cost a fortune.

Ron finally made it for the end of the reception, but missed the entire wedding. After the wedding, we were having all the relatives over for an early Christmas with all the "out of towners." By this time we did have one toilet hooked up, but no towels and we had huge piles of flooded towels in the tubs, which stunk from the plumbing back up. But all in all, we had a great weekend and learned that family loves you no matter what and sometimes it truly is nice not to have to be Martha Stewart!

Yesterday we got the new toilet installed and tomorrow they are repairing the tub. We still may have future plumbing to deal with, as the problem is still not totally fixed permanently, but hopefully we can at least stay dry through the holidays!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Bless your heart, you surely had a time! It's stressful enough having a lot of company then something like this happens. Well it seems your family is loving and things like that don't matter. I always get stressful when my inlaws come to visit, but like my best friend always tells me.. 'They come to see you and not your house'. I'm glad that you had a great weekend in spite of everything.

Hugs!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Goodness Brenda!! Sounds like you handled that very well, i think I would have broke under pressure!!!

:) Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://bestcoupleintown.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile
(((((Brenda!!!!)))) And here I was just wondering how your houseful worked out....Yikes! You are a strong woman! FarmGirl Hugs, Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I guess your glad that's over. My goodness, what a weekend you had! I hope the wedding was a success and you had a nice time with family in spite of all the problems.

Now all the towels to wash! What fun.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I am sure the stress levels were through the roof- and you still managed to have a good time! That really is impressive! I hope they don't charge you for the visit for the damage to you house!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my goodness! I hope you get all new towels for Christmas and a chance to put your feet up. When it rains, it pours. (no plumbing pun intended...)

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile
so what fell into to the toilet that started the whole mess? Oh no that was a different thread... I am sure you will add this experience to the list of all memories.. ((hugs)) you came through it farmgirl.. ?wer eyou looking for some kind of Home improvement like bathroom remodel? for Christmas... Good opportunity huh?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  12:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Brenda, I am exhausted and stressed out just reading this! I can't imagine going through it!! Big hugs!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  06:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Ah Brenda!! I miss you! I can totally see you telling the story!!! Oh my!!!!!! You have such a great attitude!!! Love those-So NOT funny now but hysterical later- stories!!!!

Love ya chica!! Hugs!

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  08:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Brenda~What a time. This is one Christmas you won't forget. I hope everything is ok now.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Now will you let me teach you how to "Drink Martini's ????" lol!
Ok, I am passing my "Lucy" hat back over to you....just call me Ethele....
hugz to you my dear friend....me thinks now we really do need to get some "Retail Therepy"...
hugz, >^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2264 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2264 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  5:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Brenda -- I'm glad the flood has abated and you got to go to the wedding.

When our house flooded (the first time) not only did I use all the towels and dirty clothes, I pulled the sheets off the beds and used them too :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  8:55:17 PM  Show Profile
I have done laundry until the cows have come home (though they are probably stuck in the snow! LOL!) and I think I have finally conquered it. Now, true confession . . . we discovered we caused our plumbing problems! When we first moved in, we hung a cabinet I had hand painted over our toilet in our basement bathroom. Not wanting the cabinet to fall off the wall, we mounted it with extra long drywall screws. Well, apparently one of the screws went through the pipe, causing toilet paper . . . and other, er "paraphenilia" to get hung up on the screw until it eventually plugs and backs up, flooding all bathrooms. So we can either have the plumber return in January, rip our wall apart and replace a portion of pipe and pay him $700.00 more dollars or, we can remove the screw, cut a small piece of the drywall, seal the screw hole with plumber's glue and replace the tiny spot of drywall. The total cost here would be the plumber's glue which I am guessing is only a few dollars. Guess which option we will be going for. And, of course, when we re-hang the cupboard, it will be with the screws not lined up with the pipe! Duh!!! Who'd have thunk it!!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda
http://pastblessings.blogspot.com/

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Wedding, Six Teens & A Flood . . . Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page