JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  2:25:16 PM  Show Profile
is there anyone out there that can't eat flour? i can't! wondered maybe we could share some gluten free recipees, i cook with it alot but that's for hubby! although it is sooo hard not to eat it at times? jo!p.s. my sister also has this, and she has a lot of recipees and tips on gluten free recipees.

love is all you need

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Jocelyn,
My husband and I both react to wheat flour. I have been cooking and baking with alternative flours for about 10 years now and would love to share information. I can use Spelt so do use it most of the time. Also use Barley, rye,rice, and others for different things.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  09:31:21 AM  Show Profile
My 6yr. old and I both have wheat allergies. I have tried baking with spelt, but it turns out so dense. Would love some recipes for spelt bread in the oven. We buy ours at the store and pay 3.50-5.00 for a loaf. I would love to be able to just make my own. I also have a sugar sensitivity. Would love to hear any bread, muffin or cookie recipes that are wheat free and sweetened with honey or maple syrup.

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  06:56:38 AM  Show Profile
As long as you aren't allergic to nuts, here's a peanut butter cookie recipe:

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Mix well. Roll in a ball and flatten with a fork dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 until browned.

Keep a place apart, within your heart, for little dreams to go!
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  06:55:50 AM  Show Profile
I make spelt bread from freshground grain..and only mix it and let it rise in my bread machine...then shape it and bake in regular pan.

1 1/2 c warm water
4-4 1/2 c spelt flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 T. yeast

Place in bread machine in order given....adding more flour if dough is too sticky..spelt is different in regards to liquid to flour proportions..ya gotta get the feel for it. .. Makes about a 1 1/2 lb. loaf. I'm being pretty basic..feel free to email me for more specifics or questions Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  09:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the spelt recipe! My friend just gave me a bread machine, so I'll have to give it a try.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2006 :  08:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Came across this site recently. Thought it might be useful to some
http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/category.php?cid=1
If you scroll through you will find gluten free recipes.

Keep a place apart, within your heart, for little dreams to go!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls, i am back from a long break down of comp. and of hubby, he decided to fly the coup! anyways they got me on that ensure, it is nasty stuff, but i am loosing sooo much weight! don't feel like cooking anymore i guess for nobody but me. i had all the garden to do myself this yr, and now fighting the flaws of winter and xmas on it's way, what a lonely world! i have lots of friends though and family close by. my son is getting married tomorrow! soooo! i really feel like that lol! anyways i hate that ensure wonder what on earth to put with it to drink the garbage it is awfull to get down later jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  8:33:40 PM  Show Profile
JO...I am on a gluten free diet, and have put together some of my favorite recipes...I don't use spelt, barley or rye, because they all contain gluten. I am really careful about oats too, they are usually contaminated by wheat..

I will send you an email.
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  1:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello Jo...I found out that I'm intollerant to gluten a few months ago. It's so hard to eat out but I have found local places that really try to accomadate my diet restrictions. At the local natural food store I've been finding all sorts of gluten free products. At Walmart my cousin found in the frozen sections waffles and with karo syrup on them I can't tell they are made from anything other than wheat flour. I'm going to try the GF pizza dough next.
Due to the cost I'm slowing buying everything to make bread, which I love to do, I think I have everything I'm just a little scared to try.

THANK YOU for the peanut butter cookies!!! They are my favorite and it's been one of the hardest things to give up.

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  9:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the cost is considerable! However, now that I have most of the staples for gluten free living, I find that I am saving money on groceries! I just buy fruits and vegetables, meat, and frozen juice concentrate.

You will feel lots better soon, going gluten free has really improved my health.
kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile
yes it is soooo hard to find certain things, on this silly food thing eh? i get a vitamin b12 shot once a month! do any of you? it isn't too bad, i've been getting it for so long i don't even notice it anymore. i have one sister that has it too, and a brother out of 11 of us i guess three with that isn't bad lol!. sis. takes b12 and folic acid shots once a month. i find i feel better at garden time, fresh vegs. ect. but when i make bread or should i say used to! i just had to try at least one hunk!!! that's a no no! i am alone now so i don't need to make bread anymore maybe just if the kids want some, they are all grown up now so they aren't around that much now either as they all have jobs and lives of their own. it is hard to make myself cook for just me! but i make myself once in a while! me oh my feeling sorry for me day ha ha! later girls i will see if i can get some more recipees on here for us gl girls jo~

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic alergic to flour?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page