gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  07:52:38 AM  Show Profile
What are some of the traditions you have for Christmas?
I have been making pjs for the family every year for 28 years. As the my DD"s got married I made pjs for their husbands and now for the grand babie too this is the only present opened on Christmas Eve.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile
In our family, Christmas eve is the big time. We used to go to my grandparents house, then home. As we grew up, we went to my mom's then home. It was such a big deal in our family that I could think of no better night or time to get married, so we got married by the light of the Christmas tree at my mom's house 16 years ago this year.

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  09:19:54 AM  Show Profile
In the past, when kids were home..Christmas Eve dinner,Christmas Eve service and drive around town looking at the houses lit up. Doubt we do this this year though... but we will have dinner at MY daughters in Washington If our "sleigh" gets there.. Passes look really SNOWY & Cold...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile
We gather on Christmas Eve to open gifts. Table is loaded with homemade candy and a big bowl of made up Chex Mix, popcorn ball Christmas tree, lots of goodies to munch on. We take a walk on the trails to a rustic made stick Nativity and the Christmas story is told. Bags lit w/candles light up the way. Bonfire and if the pond is frozen we skate. Always lots of hot cocoa.

The big deal is the pickle. The glass pickle was found on Christmas morning but sense the kids are gone we do this on Christmas Eve. The finder gets an extra gift. The prize use to be a jar of pickles, maybe a pineapple , a yard long piece of jerky but as the kids got older cash was more the find and oh the hunt was ever so on. Sometimes I wanted to play and I was the one who hid it, but they would not let me. Gosh the kids will even lay on the floor under the tree looking up through the branches for that pickle, its hard to find. Thats why I want to play cuz I can't see it hidden either.

Christmas day is the big dinner. We will be having wild turkey and pheasant this Christmas and honey glazed ham.

One year all I wanted was all the kids home, snow and a Christmas goose. I got all three. I must have been a good girl that year : )

Merry Christmas

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Dec 14 2008 5:01:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  11:54:43 AM  Show Profile
My husband is from Sweden so since we got married we do a mixture of our traditions. We light the advent candles, make Saffron buns on December 13th for St. Lucia Day, have a straw julbock (Christmas goat) under the tree and have Tomte (gnome) figurines about. We celebrate both on Dec. 24th and 25th. We usually go to my aunt's on Christmas Eve for a traditional Kentucky Christmas and last year we had a more Swedish Christmas buffet at our house Christmas day. We had ham, pickled herring, swedish meatballs, dressed eggs, smoked salmon, boiled potatoes, baked beans, cherry salad and more.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
These all sound so nice! This year, I'm thinking hard on traditions, as next year by this time, our newborn daughter will be just shy of a year old, so I'm trying to think of things that I would like to start as our own little family, but also traditions that I'd like to bring from my childhood. It was often just mom, daddy and me, and we were about as untraditional as you could get, simply because we moved so often with daddy's job, but also, he was estranged from his own family, and chose not to have anything to do with them, so we kindof just did our own thing. We usually went out for a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve--but I don't think that's a tradition I'd like to start...my husband has entirely too much family to snub like that.

Putting up the Christmas tree last night reminded me of things that I'd like to continue...and we always take our dogs for a walk in the woods on Christmas Eve day, so that's something we can easily do with our little one in a backpack, and later, her own pair of wellingtons :)

Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  8:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Oh Ann, I love your story about getting married in front of the Christmas tree!!! That is so special. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  1:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
http://homesteaderbellesblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/our-christmas-window.html

I made a post on my blog about one of our Christmas traditions. You can see it on the post above.

Merry Christmas!
Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Our tradition is to traditionally change things every year! My kids range in age from 15-33 yrs old so we adjust as one comes home for the holidays and another spends their first holiday away from home! A new grand or a new in-law- ya just never know!!! The one thing we always do is make the best of what time we DO have! If we have one home we lavish our love on them and if none are home(hasn't happened yet) we will make the best of that too!
We always have a "party" of some kind.
Another thing we try to exclude is guilt! No guilt passed out to those who can't be with us!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Our Christmas Tradition is decorating Gingerbread Houses, we have 4 kids that are 20 to 25. We all pair up with someone. (either husband or wife or friend) We end up with 5 houses all together. The sunday after Thanksgiving we spend all afternoon decorating. There are some pretty tense moments. We all laugh and have fun together. When we are done we share dinner. Then we decorate our house the the Gingerbread Houses. When anyone comes over between thar day and the new year they vote on their favorite. We number them and don't let anyone know who made the house. After the new year we count the votes to see who has won. The only thing you get is bragging rights for the year. We have been doing this for 10 years now and everyone loves it and looks forward to the big day of decorating. I will try to post some pictures of this years houses! Have a blessed Christmas Everyone!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile
Very sweet traditions girls. Loved Ann's wedding by the tree and LindaEllen's trek to the nativity scene and the pickle! That one cracked me up...searching for a pickle is a new one to me but I loved it! Gingerbread house contests....very fun.

Autumn, yours kinda "hit home" with me, being an empty-nester now, we just go with the flow and always have a great time but it's different every year. Only a few things are true traditions, like certain goodies I make every year and everyone expects me to have on hand. Last night we went to my son's and new daughter-in-law's and had pizza and played games and opened our presents early (now my son has in-laws...new plans in his life on Christmas day and that's just fine--no guilt!)...now the Wii American Idol was a true hoot! I thought I would hate that game and it was fun! It's fun having a new family member this year.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile
It is fun, but can get stressful. Take time to make adjustments- .

It sure is different when your kids are not your own anymore!
Happy holidays!!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile
I raised them to be independent and make their own way, so can't expect them to want my apron strings too! As long as they fit me in somewhere, I'm happy. A date on the calendar really isn't all that important to me...it's the reason we're getting together and our time that I treasure. Plus, it's kind of fun stretching out the holidays having multiple get-togethers and gatherings...seems to really make the season more festive for me than one jam packed day--though I do miss those days of pitter-patter of feet on Christmas morning.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:27:43 PM  Show Profile
We would go to the tree farm and cut down our own tree, then we would go home and cut a little more off the trunk to make it straight, we would take the cut trunk peice that was usually 1 or 2 inches wide and write with a pen the date, who cut the tree, the temp, and anything else we wanted. You have to groove it a little with the pen. Then every year we line them up and read what was on them. I now have an fake tree but was pleased when my son started doing it with his tree each year.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Diane B Carter

We would go to the tree farm and cut down our own tree, then we would go home and cut a little more off the trunk to make it straight, we would take the cut trunk peice that was usually 1 or 2 inches wide and write with a pen the date, who cut the tree, the temp, and anything else we wanted. You have to groove it a little with the pen. Then every year we line them up and read what was on them. I now have an fake tree but was pleased when my son started doing it with his tree each year.

May all your days be sunnydays!
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile
up to a couple years ago, when i lived down in florida, i took my daughter, and if any family members were coming over that particular year, and all the "girls" would go to brunch at the cheesecake factory and then to the nutcracker suite at the kravis center in palm beach for the matinee show on christmas eve. i'd always leave plenty of food for the guys at home.... when the rest of us got home after the show, we'd have a bunch of hor-dourves and just sit and relax the rest of the evening. the guys loved it cause they could eat all day!! and the girls loved it cause it was our special (and dress up!) day, too!!
Go to Top of Page

redfish4alder
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sarah
Seattle Washington
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  7:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Im Jewish and for Hanukkah my family and I rent a cabin out on the ocean, and we spend the week out there hiking up and down the beach, collecting driftwood, and just spending some good quality time together. We also do a lot of baking. At night we light the Hanukkah candles, hand out, and listen to the waves and go outside and look at the stars and look for the lights of fishing boats out on the horizon.
Go to Top of Page

Daisyheart
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Macon Ga
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  6:32:27 PM  Show Profile
We always have a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas Eve. I make a cake with candles and "Happy Birthday to Jesus" written on the top. I always ask the grandkids, and my grown children, "And why do we celebrate Christmas?" and they all know that Jesus is the reason. I told them that Jesus wants to share his celebration so we give him our hearts and gifts to each other. Its a tradition that my kids loved and wanted to pass on to their children.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
We have our "traditonal" Thanksgiving with the nice dishes, glasses, tablecloth, turkey, etc. So for Christmas, my children and their families come to my house on Christmas Eve day, I usually have two of my three children home as they live fairly close, the other makes it home when it is possiable. Sometimes I have a brother or two join us. We all love Mexican food, so for our "traditional" Christmas Eve dinner we all make a Mexican dish. I usually make tamales, fresh tortillas, corn and flour, so everyone can have their favorite. There are tacos, enchiladas,green chili with pork, etc. We decided a couple of years ago our family was getting too big for everyone to buy presents for each family member, so I made generous sized stockings for everyone in the family, with a few extra for company or a new family member. I used all Christmas fabric to make them, keeping in mind different hobbies, likes, etc amoung the family members. At Thanksgiving when we are all together, I let the children pick which stocking they want that year and they put their names on them with a slip of paper and we hang them, then each adult is given a stocking to take home and fill for the person that they drew names for the Christmas Eve the year before.(That way they have all year to shop for goodies for their person.) Everyone brings their stocking on Christmas Eve to give to their person. You end up spending as much on stocking presents as you would on one nice gift, but it's only one, and not for the whole family. My husband and I do give gifts to each of the grandchildren. We also have the pickle for the grandchildren and they love that and there is a special prize for one who finds it. I just love having my family all together and these things make great memories for all of us.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Traditions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page