Author Suggestions: Previous Topic Search Feature Next Topic  

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  05:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Gabe, (copied this as I posted under Technical as well)
Was wondering about including a search feature for the forum to allow people to look for a specific member, using their UserID or for a specific topic that might include a key word like for ex: Apron.
By using the search feature everything that was discussed about aprons would show up regardless of what forum they were posted to? I love the way the forum is set up but sometimes feel like I am missing stuff when I don't have time to sit for hours going through all the topics or find people that may be mentioned. Just a suggestion.
Thanks, Lori Jarrett

Lori
www.countryhandsandheart.etsy.com
www.farmgirlinthemaking.blogspot.com
Farmgirl at Heart #397

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  06:06:27 AM  Show Profile
I agree. A search that covered all forums would be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Yup, I second (third) that too. Would be great, IF possible ofcourse :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! I know about a year or so ago they had to do some revamping with the search function because the forum had grown so large. Back in the day you could search in ANY topic to find what you were looking for but the forum grew so large that it was a really slow process(takeing upwards of 5 minutes to load!) and likely took up a lot of bandwidth.

If you click on the search button above you will see that there is a drop down box that allows you to search by a certain member. You just have to limit it to one topic area. However you can likely assume that if I were to write something about aprons I would probably put it in the "Stitching and Crafting" area.

Also - If you use the "active topics" button at the top this allows you to see all the new topics that have been added or posted to since you were last logged in.

Hope this clears it up some!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  09:29:20 AM  Show Profile
lorijarrett:

willowtreecreek is correct. The search function used to be wide-open to all the categories, but caused major slowdowns for all users oftentimes when someone searched the whole shebang.
So we had to limit it.
Even still, if you search the largest one or two forums, it takes a minute or so sometimes.

I'd bet there's a more efficient search function out there, but we'd have to make the time to go find it and implement it and test it thoroughly. I'm not sure how things like Google or Yahoo! search work with something like this. Perhaps they could be a faster alternate search of just the text in posts (which would include mentions of key words like "aprons", and user's names or the info displayed under the user name).
I started looking into Google's search as an add-in for our shopping area, since the built-in search does obnoxious things and knows no bounds; but I haven't been able to make much headway. When I get back to it, I'll have to keep the Chatroom in mind, as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic Search Feature Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page