Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Mayday... need help with baking bread!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mayday... need help with baking bread!!! Next Topic  

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  01:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Every time I try to bake bread something goes wrong. It either will not rise or does and then goes flat. What am I doing wrong. I had fresh yeast. I have even tried the frozen bread dough. They rose beautifully I was going to give them 5 more min. but I turned aroud and they were flat. Now they are dense and heavy. Any pointers. I appreciate any advice. I would love to stop buying bread and make my own but at this rate it doesn't look promising.
Thanks &
Merry Christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  04:15:49 AM  Show Profile
When you are adding the yeast to the water/milk (liquid) is it foaming after about 5 min? You may have the liquid too hot or too cold.
Good Luck!!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  07:45:58 AM  Show Profile
I found that my well water was to something and I use bottled water and haven't had any more trouble.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Becky- if you bought the frozen and it went flat- your house might be hotter than what they tested the rising times at. The Finger Test is very helpful. When you poke a finger in about an inch and the dough doesn't pop back, then it is ready for baking right then! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  11:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank You Ladies!
The one time I think my house wasn't warm enough so now I warm my oven and turn it off and let the bread rise in there. I get more of a response out of it in there. The one time from scratch it did not foam so maybe the water temp was the problem. I have awful well water I use for cooking buy not drinking cuz of the flavor. I will try bottled for this. I do not know why my risen dough goes flat though. I am careful not to slam doors and stuff. who knows I figure if I keep screwing up and learn something each time someday I will have awesome bread. Thanks again. Anyone else have some theories.
Merry Christmas
Becky

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  12:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Becky, I heat my liquid to 120. That seems to be a good temp. And I do the warm oven, too. I have been making our bread for about 8 years now and it turns out different every time. I'm not making any more til I get my new Zojarushi bread machine in Jan. They are back ordered. I finally have enuf money to get one and I still have to wait! Anyway. I grind the wheat berries and use the Bread Becker's recipe. It's so good and full of fiber.

Good luck. It is all trial and error and learn as you go. The more you do it the better you'll be at it.

Last month in Mother Earth there was a recipe for a dough that you make ahead and take out what you need and let it rise and bake it. It's good, too.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  1:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a question about breadmaking.

I made two loaves at a time, of plain old white bread. I made it on my breadmaker's dough only setting. I baked both at the same time. One loaf turned out beautifully, the other loaf raised and bake beautifully, BUT there was a huge air bubble between the bread part and the crust.
How does that happen?-what causes it that? I can still use it, except I had to remove the bread crust flap.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  2:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Kate,
My mom makes bread just like you and she had the same problem. When you place your dough in the pans prick it with a fork several times across the top. This will prevent a bubble. I can't even get bubbles. I hope this helps you.
Merry Christmas
Becky

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile
I could not bake bread for years, it was the PH in my skin, so I started wearing those real thin medical gloves, and voila, it turned out....Then used a different recipe and it turned out, I have used the same recipe for 20 years, now(no gloves), it does not have any eggs, or dairy in it, and turns out each and every time...
If you'd like it, email me privately and I can share it.....or tell me to share it on this forum and I shall...

Farmgirl Sister #368
A very Merry Christmas to all of my "Farmgirl Sisters"!!!
http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile
To answer the original question on bread deflating, it's over risen. Instead of letting it rise a bit more when it's nearly double and a "poke' leaves an indention, bake it right away. Should take care of that problem.
Ronna
(who learned to bake bread from my future MIL when I was 8, 54 long years ago)
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  1:25:23 PM  Show Profile
I've found that if I use my bread machine and just use the dough cycle and then bake in the oven I have much better luck making bread. The dough doesn't rise very much from the time I take it out of the bread machine while I wait for the oven to preheat. Bread turns out beautiful every time. When I'm on a roll, I can get 4 loaves made in a day. Next, going to try making hamburger buns and pizza dough to save even more $$. Really makes a difference, doesn't it!!!!

Annie

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile
I love to bake and can make almost anything, but bread that is. My Windy Pines cousin, Michele, sent me a dvd of her baking bread (Breadmaking 101). I got a lot of good advices from her & it helped a lot watching her do it too. Michele's commentary was funny as she explained every step of the breadmaking process between running out to the barn where one of her cows was calving (the Calving 101 part of the dvd). My breadmaking has improved slightly, I have noticed everything affects breadmaking though, water, temperature, humidity. etc. Good luck on practicing until you get your perfect loaf!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mayday... need help with baking bread!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page