Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  09:13:20 AM  Show Profile
I am sitting here listening and watching the shingles blow off the house. I put in a call to our roof man, got his answering machine. What do you do? The panels are blowing off the greenhouse too. This is supposed to go on for 2 days. I went out and took down the flag. At least I can control something. Woe is me!! $$

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Belle- We're having those high winds here today also, and they're predicting an ice/snow storm beginning tomorrow evening through possibly Tuesday or Wednesday. I sure hope you get your shingle problems resolved!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to learn of your plight. We had heavy winds last night and will probably go on the rest of today. Winter is definitely on its way. We are expecting precip of one sort or another today and into tomorrow. It is supposed to be VERY COLD tonight and tomorrow. Will be glad when it's over and SPRING is on its way.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh ladies, I don't mean to sound sappy but...The way I see it after having only Summer days & nights in Arizona most of the time....I Love the seasons. All of them and What is Christmas with out snow? God Blesses us with these little wonders of Snow, sleet, rain, wind and sunshine. I Love each new day and whatever weather it brings.. Just to be alive and thankful to see & hear these gifts.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Even with all our preparation, Cindy spent an hour tying stuff down this morning. I got back from getting a haircut just in time to help rescue some of our salvaged tin by lugging some heavy beams onto it.

We thought we had the tarps pretty well tied on all the hay stacks, but this wind from south is brutal. Our nice clean horse corral now has a "tumbleweed fence" with the stuff stacked 3/4 of the way up the 5' of fencing.

In a couple hours, it will get very calm, and then all of a sudden, the wind will switch and come from the north, just like in a hurricane. Sustained winds now are averaging between 25 and 35 mph with the highest recorded gust to 44.

It looks like the front is still a good 150 miles NW of us, so we'll be in this patter for another 4 or 5 hours. Not sure if there will still be enough moisture to drop snow here tonight.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 7 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I love the 4 seasons. Each has it's own pros and cons. What I don't like, is when the weather causes us to dig deep into the already empty pocket book. Seasons are good, extremes are bad.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong, I do love having the 4 seasons, but last year we got hit with numerous ice storms and we lost power for almost a week. Thank goodness we had the fireplace to help keep warm!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  11:53:22 AM  Show Profile
I understand Belle & Diana.. Extremes of any kind are tough, I am just so glad to be out of 126 degree summers and no rain or snow.. Well there were 5 days of a little rain and NO snow. No trees no garden.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I head ya on the shingles...we've been needin a new roof for a while now..I just keep gluing them on with liquid nail, and it's holding up so far. I know that's terrible, but we want to put on a metal roof, so maybe when we win the lottery we'll do that instead of glue ;0
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Wait Cristine.. Did you buy that lottery ticket yet? If not be careful on that roof...that you don't fall. You probably don't need a hospital bill either.. ((hugs))

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile
we have strong winds at times here too.
The wind blew off several of our shingles and some of the roof shingles.
hubby has yet to fix it; because we are currently building our retirement home in the country on our small farm.
Problem now is mice.
Will be glad to get in a new home out of this cold mousy house.
Good luck pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Is this happening all across the country? We've had winds from 30-40+mph since last night. Yurts creak and groan, BTW, when the wind blows but this is just scary. Usually we get gusts. This is constant.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  4:09:26 PM  Show Profile
It's certainly windy here - I think it's supposed to continue throughout the evening, then temps will drop alot!! Currently in the 20's, it might get down to 15 below, very unusual for our area
Amy Grace
Y'all try to keep warm, I may be forced to turn the thermostat above 64!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Living just southwest of Chicago, I really understand what wind damage can do. I'm so sorry about your roof and greenhouse. It sure stinks when this happens anytime, but Christmas time makes it even worse! Hope the repairs won't be too expensive!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile
aww..Belle. How frustrating that must be! We are up on top of a hill so whenever the wind gets going really good, our trailer starts shaking pretty good. Some days I think we may just blow right away. :)
Hope that roofman got right back to you!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wind Blooooooowing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page