Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Another newcomer Next Topic  

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Hi, I'm Sheila and I 'just' discovered MaryJanesFarm magazine yesterday. I feel like a schoolgirl with an invitation to her first party - I'm so excited to get to know you all - hoping to meet folk 'like me'! I'm so thrilled to have found a publication that celebrates what I prize so highly in life - beauty and wonder that surrounds us, quality, creativity, the fellowship and precious, precious value of women of all ages and stages as neighbors, friends and family, the truth and wonder and great worth of earthy, old ways that have made us survivors as a human race BEFORE technology stunned us silly.

By way of introduction - I moved two and a half years ago with my 15 yr old daughter from suburban Chicago to the Sierra Foothills in CA about an hour north of Fresno and about an hour from the South Entrance to Yosemite National Park. I live on an acre by a small lake and enjoy immensely the company and 'music' of birds of the air and the lake residents/visitors too. I struggle to grow flowers and vegies in spite of deer, gophers and ground squirrel and believe the most primary thing we know of our Creator is that we are created in His image and therefore must create to be fulfilled. My creative veins flow with quilting, writing, constantly reworking my domestic environment and numerous other arts AND crafts. I live full time with two house cats - Petunia and Zoey and Annabelle, a Bassett Hound. I have 3 adult children in IL - my oldest of two sons having just made me a first time Grandmother on August 14 to the most adorable baby boy in IL!
Nice to meetcha all!
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  3:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Sheila! Where in Illinois do you hail from? I live in Hinckley, pop. 1400, about 1 1/2 hrs west the Chi-town.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kim...I'm familiar with Hinckley - loved the quilt shop there in the middle of the "main" street though I didn't get there near often enough! I lived where Carol Stream, Wheaton, Winfield and West Chicago all kinda nuzzle each other (a few blocks from my old house there was an intersection where literally all four corners would put you in a different town when you crossed the road).
-Sheila

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  4:03:06 PM  Show Profile
What a small world! My ex-husband grew up in West Chicago! I spent a lot of time in that area.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  09:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila,
Welcome to the forum. My name is Eileen andI am fairly new to this forum as well although I have been a fan of MaryJane since the first edition of the magazine.
I just became a first time grandmother in May. What a thrill! My daughter and husband now with their own son live in Wisconsin. A long way from Washington State. I am soooo very thankful for the miracle technology of digital cameras and the computer. I can't believe I feel that way as it took me until 2 years ago to even be willing to turn on a computer let alone sit in front of one. I am however daily sent little snapshots of the progress of our grandson!! I love getting them but am missing being closer. How 'bout you?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  07:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Eileen...you just can't be close enough, even "right there" when babies are new, can you??? My 15 yr old was in IL for her Summer with her Dad and siblings and good friends and the oldest kids (the new parents and my older daughter) flew me back for two weeks in August so I was there when my grandson was born and for the first week. I hated to have to leave!!! My son hasn't been as good about updating pix but he did put up a page in Yahoo Photos with 130 pix of the "birthday" and all the family and friends who welcomed his son into the world. I think I'll wear out that link! LOL I'm still waiting to see a pic I've been promised of the little guy in the middle of the quilt I made for him. A couple times I got to take him into his nursery and rock and talk to him and he seemed totally mesmerized by this Grandma's voice...gave me the idea of Grandma-read books on tape to keep a connection. Can't believe I got to the library yesterday and forgot the baby books!!! #&*@! But, that's okay...I need to acquire a personal tape recorder as well. Sounds like you and I are both about equidistant from those precious bundles...are you pushing for them to visit out here or hoping to get back to WI on a regular basis????
-Sheila

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  4:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Sheila,
I think that is a WONDErFUL idea to read books on tape and send to your grandson.

farmgirl@heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile
My little two year old granddaughter will be moving. (also her parents...of course) in December and I am going to miss her terribly. I watch her every weekday and have since she was 3 months old. I got to fly (with my mom) to Kentucky when she was born to see her for the first week, and then they moved here to be near us when she was 3 months...so...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the grandma books on tape. I think for Christmas this year I will be gettting her a little tape player and taping me reading some books for her. I can hardly wait. I know my son and daughter in law will like the idea too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  7:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Sheila
Grandma books on Tape!! Wahoo!!! I have all the books I ever bought for my kids when they were little as well as those new ones that I have found to be worth picking up because of subject matter or special awards like the caldecot awards ( I collect childrens books as a hobbie, got started when teaching kindergarten and being the reading lady in the daycare at the same school) and thought to save them for when they visit but now you have seeded the beginnings of a whole new idea! I talk on the phone to my grandson about once a week because I want him to remember my voice, this will make it even better. Thankyou!
I am saving up my money as I can and plan to visit with them about 2 times a year, either provide travel fare for them to come this way or us to go there. Currently Audreys husband works for the Federal parks department in Wisconsin and it is only a 6 month a year position. He is applying for a full time position but there are several thousand applicants for only a couple of positions. I pray he gets it. He has been with them for 12 years but gets passed over for the permanent positions due to others getting the qualifying points from military service that he can not qualify for even if he wanted to. He loves the work. Mostly he works building hiking trails, maintaining lighthouses and guiding tourists around on the islands in the lake. He also works with keeping track of the wildlife on the islands. All that to say they will not be able to afford to come this way without financial help so I plan to assist when I can to get to visit with them and keep up with the grandson. I want to know him and I want him to know me.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2004 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile
I know how hard it is when the grandkids are far away. I was only able to visit every six months, and boy does that airfare add up! I remember visitng when she was about 6 months old, and for some reason the only way I could hold her was if she was facing away from me... otherwise she would cry. That was a heartbreaker! Luckily it got better on the next visit!

A custom that I began when my grandaughter was living in Virginia, was to write to her weekly... a letter on fun stationary, and I sealed it with a lipstick kiss. This became her special 'thing' with Oma (me) and she loves receiving her own mail. Lately we've progressed to email... kids are so smart.. she'll be 4 the end of Oct and she knows how to retrieve her email and to reply to me... she can type her name out... and the rest is "typing" haha... it is cute! But I still send her letters, even though they live just 3 hours drive away now... it's a special thing to do and it has really brought us closer.

I like the books on tape idea. I'll have to see about arranging that, too. I recently gave her a cd player for her room to play relaxing music at bedtime. (We do this when she visits me, too.) She calls it her "sleeping music"... just one more thing... Making the most of your time together is key by cuddling to read stories, or do projects together...anything to let them know they are special to you...and of course, even though I can't give many presents, the best gift I can give is lots of love and hugs and kisses. Seeing her run to the car to greet me with open arms when I arrive is the best reward!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Sep 11 2004 10:02:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  2:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to figure out how to e-mail myself to Wisconsin! So I can be there to hug, cuddle and read to the little sweetie. Also would like to be the one who does the child care while mother works.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Another newcomer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page